Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nokia has announced that its Steel HR hybrid smartwatch will ship in time for the holiday season, almost a year after it was supposed to launch under the Withings moniker.

The watch was first announced in September 2016, but its scheduled launch the following month never happened as Nokia began negotiating its takeover of Withings, which was eventually finalized in June.

Screen-Shot-6.jpg

Shortly thereafter, Nokia relaunched several Withings products under the Nokia brand, including the Nokia GO and Nokia Steel watches, as well as Nokia BPM+ and Nokia Body+ connected devices.

The Steel HR finally joins the existing line-up and will be available in 36mm and 40mm case sizes. It features a simple and stylish analog watch face with unobtrusive digital meters for tracking heart rate and movement over the course of the day. In addition, the watch features automatic and learned activity tracking for over 10 activities, a comprehensive sleep monitor, and text, call and event alerts.

Nokia says it has also made some software improvements to the smartwatch since its Withings iteration, including an improved heart rate algorithm to ensure more accurate tracking. A design change has also been made that replaces the face with sapphire glass to guarantee up to 50 meter waterproofing.

The Steel HR syncs with the Nokia Health Mate iOS app, costs $179.99, and is available to pre-order from the Nokia website in either black or white.

Article Link: After a Year-Long Delay, the Nokia Steel HR Hybrid Smartwatch is Now Available for Pre-Order

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
Hopefully the delay had to do with Nokia solving the notorious problem this watch had, of condensation getting under the glass in humid environment. Plenty of people were returning it because of this ( when it was under the Withings brand ).
Although i own an apple watch, i also like hybrid watches. I’m considering getting the Steel HR.

Last edited:

cmdixon1

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
Not sure why Nokia are announcing this as a new watch. I've had it for a year under the Withings brand.

I'd fully recommend it to anyone as it's a smart watch that is actually smart, doesn't break the bank and lasts around a month before needing a recharge. They're replacing all Withings watches with Nokia versions as there was a condensation issue with most the Withings versions.

youdontsay

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2013
Not sure why Nokia are announcing this as a new watch. I've had it for a year under the Withings brand.

I'd fully recommend it to anyone as it's a smart watch that is actually smart, doesn't break the bank and lasts around a month before needing a recharge. They're replacing all Withings watches with Nokia versions as there was a condensation issue with most the Withings versions.

There are some changes on this model though :)

According to nokia health twitter account :

The Nokia Steel HR has Sapphire glass on the heart rate sensor for improved heart rate accuracy, improved heart rate algorithm, and a redesigned charger that boasts a more intuitive form factor and a stronger magnet for ease of use.

I think i'll be buying this watch as it represents the perfect balance between a tracker and a smartwatch. not too intrusive while being useful. All of this with a reasonable price point.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK

The Nokia Steel HR has Sapphire glass on the heart rate sensor for improved heart rate accuracy, improved heart rate algorithm, and a redesigned charger that boasts a more intuitive form factor and a stronger magnet for ease of use.

I think i'll be buying this watch as it represents the perfect balance between a tracker and a smartwatch. not too intrusive while being useful. All of this with a reasonable price point.
I give it 6 months before they go bust!

It was dead if it was released earlier. Before xmas with the Apple Watch juggernaut, will ensure it will be super dead!

Reactions: Morgenland and gugy

cmdixon1

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017

I wasn't aware of those changes, thanks. I'm glad they're changing the charger, the original is very awkward.

It just frustrates me slightly like they're acting as if it's brand new, they've changed/fixed a couple of parts. Their pinned twitter post - https://twitter.com/NokiaHealth/status/930450081811222528

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I don’t care much for smart watches or health trackers. I can’t wear them at work where I spend the majority Of my active hours. This is really nice looking and affordable. I wish they used a better font for the digital portion. It really throws the look of the watch out the window.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
I think there is still a small market for it. Some people still think the Apple Watch looks pretty goofy. They could have just released them with the Withings name on them though last year, and started R&D back then for this year. Oh well.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Still can't believe they went with calling these "Nokia" when they could have used Withings. Tainted brand!!!

ellnicklin

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2017
I think there is still a small market for it. Some people still think the Apple Watch looks pretty goofy. They could have just released them with the Withings name on them though last year, and started R&D back then for this year. Oh well.

They did, I have one. And am selling it

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
will it work with ios fully? in particular text message and imessage notifications? I thought that was restricted for access to 3rd party devs?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Apple Watch is inelegant looking -- and I wear one. But this Nokia watch is a dime a dozen already, offers nothing new, and the market isn't that big. Maybe they'll sell thousands of these.

youdontsay

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2013
I think there is still a small market for it. Some people still think the Apple Watch looks pretty goofy.

I think there is a market for people who like to have a watch that looks like a watch. I personally feel that the Apple Watch is too "intrusive" just like other Android smart watches. I just don't want a smartphone or a computer on my wrist. But this enhanced watch strikes the right balance.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
There is definitely a market for hybrid watches ( traditional watches with added digital information and tracking features ). Some people don’t need the full capabilities of an Apple Watch ( or Android based), and like the classical look of a mechanical watch.
Unlike computers and phones, a watch is still seen more of a jewelry or fashion accessory than a computing device.

In addition to my Apple Watch, I’m considering getting either this Nokia or the Boss hybrid smartwatch https://www.wareable.com/smartwatches/hugo-boss-smart-classic-review

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I swore by my Withings Pop until its silent alarm feature stopped working.

Does anyone know of a smart watch that offers a silent (vibrate) alarm? All I can find is the Pebble, which is not great for obvious reasons.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I swore by my Withings Pop until its silent alarm feature stopped working.

Does anyone know of a smart watch that offers a silent (vibrate) alarm? All I can find is the Pebble, which is not great for obvious reasons.

The Apple Watch. I went from the Withings Activité Pop to the Apple Watch Sport. I loved the battery life on the Withings watch (seven to eight months using a standard watch battery); but I enjoy so much more about the Apple Watch. The silent alarm on the Apple Watch works well for me. The vibration with the Apple Watch is significantly stronger than the one in the Withings watch, in my opinion.

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

YoitsTmac

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
I have the normal Steel HR. If this watch resembles the normal one at all, I urge you to run. It requires you to re open the app 2-5 times a day just to continue receiving notifications. The bottom of the watch is so "rounded" it doesn't stay in one spot of your wrist. For me, it rests at a slight angle away from me. The heart rate is not accurate, the auto brightness breaks every now and then and requires a hard reset (constant issue I've gone on with support with), and sometimes the minute hand shows the wrong time even though you calibrate it! It's beautiful but I wouldn't do it again

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
The Apple Watch. I went from the Withings Activité Pop to the Apple Watch Sport. I loved the battery life on the Withings watch (seven to eight months using a standard watch battery); but I enjoy so much more about the Apple Watch. The silent alarm on the Apple Watch works well for me. The vibration with the Apple Watch is significantly stronger than the one in the Withings watch, in my opinion.
Does AW offer smart wake up as well? I didn't think it did...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.