After All The Whining How About a Positive Thread...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Jul 15, 2008.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I have to say that I LOVE my iPhone 3G. Granted, there were rocky times the first 2 days with the activation issues, battery not being "warmed up" yet, MobileMe issues and not getting my exchange email syncing properly. However, after getting all these issues resolves I have to say this is by FAR the best phone I have ever had. Battery is no longer an issue for me (took 3 days with WALL CHARGING and not computer charging to fix it), I've dropped it without one scratch (build quality is MUCH better than it seems), and both my MobileMe and Exchange account are working flawlessly now.

3G is incredible and I have learned to turn off location services when I do not need it (and I def don't need it very often). Calendars & contacts sync instantly with my Mac and all my emails are pushed instantly. I have absolutely not issues with my screen and think it looks amazing even compared to the 1st gen iPhone and I have no dust under my screen.

I actually think that for any business user who is not on a BES, the iPhone BLOWS the blackberry out of the water (and I had 2 blackberry's on at&t before switching to the iPhone 3G). After reading all the negative reviews I thought it was only right to show some of us are having a great experience with our new purchase.

2. LinMac macrumors 65816

The phone itself is one of the best on the market and the only comparable product out there is the first generation iPhone. The iPhone is in a class of its very own because of the way so many features are well implemented.

With that said I can't let you have a positive thread here. It just wouldn't be right after all.

There are a few glaring issues that need to be addressed:

1) MobileMe, enough said.
    2) App store expansion/fixes, enough said.
    3) 3G iPhone software bug fixes, enough said.
    4) More 3G iPhones, enough said.
    5) Better integration with Mac (think bluetooth syncing, not backing up the whole bloody application every time I sync the phone, not wiping out my synced media if I sync with another computer with iTunes, and a few other things)
    6) A2DP or bluetooth stereo, copy and paste, MMS. More than enough said for this one.

This has been your friendly thread thunderstorm.

3. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I agree, I have a 16GB white, and love the home button off it! ;):D

Battery is not an issue, as you say it was on Saturday and Sunday, but yesterday and today, it's stellar.

Positivity all round! :cool:

R-Fly

4. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guess not too many people like talking about the positives LOL

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Wait a sec. I think you forgot to say 'enough said' on this one! What's the deal? Is there more to say?

Anyway, I'm very happy overall. This isn't the biggest problem, but I think I'm most anticipating the release of better GPS-using applications. I know the GPS isn't quite as accurate as the stand-alone units, but it's good enough to give some voice direction. I'm sure there will be programs to fill this hole eventually and that's what I'm most looking forward to right now.

6. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

I absolutely love my iPhone. New iPhone owner here. It is better by far than my my old phone.

Instead of gmail being a side addon that is accessed through an addon application that doesn't auto update...I have both of my gmail accounts setup for imap...updated every 15 minutes.

Sync with google contacts...yay!

I still have to mess with the bitrates but I love the video I can load on my phone...got the entire Firefly series on my phone...and season 1 of Family Guy...just loaded them up to test it out. Looks great. Now I just need to build my movie library on my PC so I have plenty available to load up on my phone.

I think the only 2 things I wish it had were a way to quickly turn off 3G and go to edge (instead of navigating the settings menu)(to save battery life) and a way to easily see that green battery bar you get when you are syncing your iPhone.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, it's a little deep in the menus for something you'd want to turn on and off through the day.

Actually, I'd love a setting that says "Only use 3G when Safari is open, use EDGE all other times."

Yeah, I'd sometimes need to turn 3G on for some other app, but that would take care of 90% of the "on/off" switches I do with it. I'd probably turn it on and off twice a day with that feature instead of 9 or 10 times a day like I do now.

8. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

This thread isnt just for people who have had no problems (read my first post to learn about some of mine)...this is also for people who have gotten PAST those issues and still find the iphone the be the best device they've ever owned.

9. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

More in love with my new phone everyday :D The battery issues have gotten better for me as well...I've gotten more used to the phone and just love playing with it. Safari is awesome! Some of the apps are awesome like Shazam, VoiceNotes and Pandora. Love having all my music with me and its just fun :)
    Still looks pretty cool too when I'm out and see everyone else using an old style phone and I whip out my white iphone :cool:

10. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Mine hasn't shipped yet. I hope to post something on this short thread when i get it. BTW... when the first iPhone came out, were there this many problems? Issue after issue i'm reading. It's scaring me a bit. This is a phone and it's important that it works.

11. sfoalex macrumors 6502

I was a BlackBerry owner with BES. Rented Exchange services with Mail2Web, with BlackBerry Enterprise Services. You know what that actually gets you? Renting Exchange for $14.95 a month gets you just 1GB of email. And you have to spend yet another $14.95 to get the BES. So about $30 a month or $360 a year.

With MobileMe, I am getting 20 GBs of storage. 20 times the storage of Exchange. And with MobileMe, I get Push Email, Contacts, and AddressBook.

I also want to write one more thing. BlackBerry users love to say that email is their best strength. Well, I don't know how many of you have ever used it for a long period of time. I was using BB OS 4.2. And at that time, there is no HTML parse. You when you get an email with a lot of linked images, you see a text version with so many links it makes the email unreadable. Just imagine an email that almost looks like the source code of an html page. Not that bad, but close enough. I had to use a 3rd party HTML parse engine by a 3rd party developer called, 'Empower'. Lot's of BB owners do this just to make the email readable.

With that said, let me dispel the myth that the BB has better email. It does not have better email than the iPhone. It had PUSH email, and for those that have become accustomed to instant email that was a feature they were not willing to leave. But for the past few days, I have had PUSH with MobileMe. And it's every bit as fast as what I had with my Exchange / BES combo. It's less than 1/3rd the price, and it's 20 times the storage. And because Apple gets it, it's full HTML. You see it like a desktop app. And attachment viewing is by far better than what the BB offers.

So if you are someone reading this that has accepted what those repeating the words, BB has the best email, keep saying over and over, don't believe it. It's being said by those who have a bias. By those are not even willing to try an iPhone longer than a few hours.

You know what hurt the email experience on the iPhone more than anything? The delay it took to load the email. The email should be downloaded, stored, and cached so it is always instantly readable. That's the one thing the iPhone could do better with regards to email. Now with 3G, even emails with large PDFs open pretty quickly. I'll see how it works for a week or so before making up my mind, but this is one ex BlackBerry user who sees the issue clearly. If they honestly believe that they have better email than the iPhone, they need to open their eyes.

The BB is yesterday. I don't see it competing with the iPhone on any level. Not a one. It's like saying DOS is better than a GUI. I don't think so. Some improvements are just better. All around better. And this is one of those.

And please, don't throw that secure garbage at me. If your company uses PCs, that right there is no more secure than an iPhone. And we all know, a company is only as secure as its weakest link. The minute your company added a PC to the network, they added a device that sends email without going through a NOC. They added a device that taps directly into the Exchange server the exact same way the iPhone does. So please, don't sell me on the garbage that the iPhone makes a company less secure. Your desktops did that a long time ago already.

I think MobileMe and the iPhone 3G are a vast improvement. There have been hick-ups. There always is with something so different. Growing pains are to be expected. But look at what Apple truly did for us in one year. You got PUSH email. You got a web interface so Windows users have a great experience with their low-cost PUSH service. It's by far cheaper PUSH than anything they have had before. And they have native Exchange support. They have 3G, which can talk voice and do data at the same time. You have location-based services. That's all pretty incredible.

Alex

12. Ori macrumors 6502

Whats the difference between wall charging and computer charging? Both charge the phone up no?

13. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought so as well but for some reason when I charge it in the wall it lasts MUCH longer than when I charge it with my MBP. Just my observation though.

14. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

That was a GREAT post and as an ex Blackberry user as well, I couldn't have said it better myself.

15. Joe23 macrumors 6502

No complaints here. Got my iPhone 3G 16GB in black on "iDay", activated the same evening (O2 upgrade from previous iPhone) and currently conditioning the battery.

Brilliant phone. Feels so much better in the hand than it's predecessor, even if the back is a dirt magnet!

16. Blizzard of Oz macrumors newbie

I'm glad to see this thread.

Not only is this my first iPhone, but its the first Apple product I've ever purchased and I must say I am amazed by the iPhone and am extremely glad I bought one.

The Apple employees that checked me out Friday night (at midnight) have been working since 5:00 in the morning and were still extremely positive, helpful, and surprisingly cheery.

I commend Apple on a great product and great employees and service.

17. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

I keep hearing all of these vague complaints about MobileMe ... it's working flawlessly on my iPhone and has from the start. Granted, the webmail MM is pretty much awful so far, but I've had no problem with iPhone or Mac Mail push services.

18. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

I will give you a positive thread ;)

This ****ing fiasco has ****ed me off so much that I have discovered a very nice alternative phone from another manufacturer that I would not have looked at otherwise.:cool:

This together with 4 months to sort out Macbook freeze up with Leopard :mad:

Together with manufacturing in that abomination China :mad::mad:

I would say less of my money with be heading :apple: way in future

19. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Alright then, have a good time :)

I love my iPhone 3G. Everything about it. The apps (evernote, jott, splashid, itunes remote, enigmo). The phone (call quality). The email (faster loading).

20. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

People bash the iPhone because of its lack of copy and paste, or mms. but when it comes down to it, nothing compares. The notion that a blackberry even compares to an iPhone is crazy. You got it right it's like DOS vs. GUI.
    This is my first iPhone, and the App Store has made this device reign supreme. I dont need push email so that doesn't matter to me, 15 min gmail updates are fine with me.
    The App store is what kicks ass, I can't wait to show monkey ball or crash bandakoot to my blackberry pearl friends :rolleyes:. I swear, every single one of my closest friends who are guys has a blackberry pearl. And they don't use it for anything besides phone and text messaging. the Apps make this thing unstoppable, I mean come on. At Best Buy? Pull out SaveBenji's to check prices online, looking for a nearby seafood place? Get reviews, directiosn, phone number, etc. w/ YPMobile among other apps. The list goes on and on, this device is revolutionary.

21. LinMac macrumors 65816

MobileMe complaints belong in the MobileMe forum (hence why I didn't elaborate to throw the thread off track), but since you asked..

The MobileMe service is "Exchange for the rest of us" and is a nice enough service, but it has some pretty.. limiting.. limitations.

1) Mac to MobileMe Push for changes to their caelndars/contacts
    2) Custom domain support (think Google Apps Email Hosting for Domains) for MobileMe push email.
    3) Webmail, enough said(tm).
    4) Lack of support for "other" browsers. I want to sync my Firefox bookmarks too without a third party plugin damnit.
    5) MobileMe push via wifi problems that haven't been sorted. MobileMe Push seems to work sometimes and other times it doesn't (over wifi). The servers are most likely very overloaded with free trial users, but still this is a valid complaint.

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't think most people know that batteries have a "warm-up" period. My iPhone (first gen) battery stunk the first couple of times, but now it's pretty darn good (except when I spend an hour playing a game on it...oops). But it improved after about 2 or 3 full charges.

I'm still glad I'm waiting out. I keep thinking "sell this one on eBay, get $350-400, buy new one, almost a wash over 2 years." But then I realize that I'll kick myself when a 32GB model comes out, so I do with my EDGE service. :)

23. ziggie216 macrumors 6502

now if only MobileMe works over the proxy... thought it was a great idea since my work doesnt use Exchange.. then realized that there is no setting for proxy

24. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I love my original iPhone and the 2.0 software, being able to download apps and use all of the other features in 2.0 is amazing. I am really looking forward to the iPhone 3G for the speed and GPS and better speaker and the quadroopled memory as well as the better call reception.

The iPhone is the greatest product I have ever owned and after having it for more than a year, I still have not gotten tired of it and have not wanted any other phone and will continute to support it for a long time.