Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Knew it. Same reasons a couple years ago who returned a 6 Plus is now getting accustomed to the larger displays and is now turning their back against "4.

Expect this iPhone to be secondary to many people and not as a multimedia player or main texting device. Unless you have small hands or haven't adapted yet, you are going back to the stone ages. As a primary? Alot of us need a bare minimum of "5. Perhaps my bare minimum will go up to "5.5 after a couple years.

Reactions: cableguy84

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Strangely i'm finding my typing is more accurate on the smaller phone. Its a weird experience with the smaller screen again, just because it looks smaller. In the same way that adjusting to the bigger screen on the 6 took some time, its going to take some time to get used to the smaller screen again. But its not eye strain or anything, its just that process of reminding my slow brain that the iPhone is suddenly smaller (or very far away).

I don't use my phone for much in the way of productivity or watching videos, so the screen size isn't a big (no pun intended) issue as such.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Strangely i'm finding my typing is more accurate on the smaller phone
I'm not, but then I was not expecting to have the same accuracy on typing, given that my muscle memory is geared to the 6 plus. I also installed the swype keyboard to help with my typing.

As for the OP's issues with the small screen and eye strain. That's on him, for not fully vetting out the ramifications of small phones. Personally, I'm not having issues with the small screen. In fact, the phone is an absolute joy to hold in my hand. I've been able to move around, sit, get in my car without ever once having an issue with it in my pocket.

Reactions: arkitect

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
I'm not, but then I was not expecting to have the same accuracy on typing, given that my muscle memory is geared to the 6 plus. I also installed the swype keyboard to help with my typing.

As for the OP's issues with the small screen and eye strain. That's on him, for not fully vetting out the ramifications of small phones. Personally, I'm not having issues with the small screen. In fact, the phone is an absolute joy to hold in my hand. I've been able to move around, sit, get in my car without ever once having an issue with it in my pocket.

I did my research and knew what I was getting into. Still, buying and trying is the best way to remove any doubts. I have 14 days and expected to fully take advantage of that. I went in wanting to love this phone and didn't hold any biases as a long time iPhone user since the original. There's just to many sacrifices. Another problem that has arised is the phone getting extremely hot while watching 2-3 minute YouTube videos. I feel like this isn't normal and shouldn't be happening.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I will be surprised if the return rate isn't at least 25% for those who had a larger iPhone. I am sure Apple can live with that.

And if someone had a 5, why didn't they upgrade to the 5s back when? Food for thought.

I do not see it being a big seller, time will tell.

Menace10

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
A new front has opened...

First we had to deal with Android owners feelings now we have a new group to deal with the 6/6s owners

duckr.png

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Its going back. Didn't take long for the novelty of the smaller screen to wear off. There's a reason people were clammoring for a bigger iPhone after a few years. The smaller keyboard and typing errors along with the unexpected eye strain getting use to everything being smaller than I have been used to the last 3 years made this an easy decision. Picking up a G5 tomorrow.

on the flip side I reduced the font size :O

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I don't see many people going from a 4.7 or 5.5 inch screen back to a 4 inch screen. Some will, but most will not, I think. For people with a 5 or a 5s (who likely are the target audience of the SE), the transition to the SE is seamless.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
On a positive note, took SE off charger at 7:00 am and it's now 11:00 am and I'm at 96% battery that is just amazing as I've been web surfing playing music and had several calls.

This is also the first charge last night so battery is not even calibrated yet to full use.

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I have two LGs (G4 and Power) and nothing Apple makes is even in the same league. You could not pay me to go back to an iPhone again.
Well, you're sort of back with iPhone. You're taking some time to post in an iPhone forum.;)

Reactions: HEK

Zagor13

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
I got no problem typing on SE than my former 6s, in fact i'm faster and more accurate and do it with on hand (with 6s two hands a must and cannot carry a shopping grocery bag with me-- I have good perif. vision and am careful when RARELY texting on sidewalk and I walk at side of it so not blocking traffic)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
A new front has opened...

First we had to deal with Android owners feelings now we have a new group to deal with the 6/6s owners

duckr.png
I have a 6s+ and before that I had the 6+.

Don't even speak to me about those 6/6s owners with their smaller phones*. ;) :D

*JK if you can't detect my humor! :D

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Expect this iPhone to be secondary to many people and not as a multimedia player or main texting device. Unless you have small hands or haven't adapted yet, you are going back to the stone ages. As a primary? Alot of us need a bare minimum of "5. Perhaps my bare minimum will go up to "5.5 after a couple years.

Using the SE is akin to going back to the Stone Age?... Sounds like a lot of bull****.

You like a 5" phone...fine. But the SE isn't a Stone Age phone...

Love the hyperbole some put forth around here.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yeah, I think the SE would be a great telephone - that is if most people actually talked on their phones. Most don't do that anymore - opting for text, email, Skype. And that tiny screen will start to cause eye-strain problems after awhile...Of course if you are a youngster with good eyes, it is a moot issue.
The eye strain is the same as on the bigger phones, since the text is the same size. There's just less of it on the screen at once.

I really don't get why people seem to think that typing or reading on this phone is difficult, or that it isn't good for texting and apps. People were using Apple smart phones before September 2014, you know. ;)

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
The eye strain is the same as on the bigger phones, since the text is the same size. There's just less of it on the screen at once.

I really don't get why people seem to think that typing or reading on this phone is difficult, or that it isn't good for texting and apps. People were using Apple smart phones before September 2014, you know. ;)
In terms of the text size, you're completely right. Having tried to go to an SE from a 6S, I will say that it is a bit difficult going to smaller screen real estate. The keyboard is one of the biggest differences, followed by the difference user interface for some of the applications. It's small differences in the UI, but there are definitely differences.

I should add that I'm not totally sold on sticking with the 6S. I am definitely leaning in that direction though.

Jayjew

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2015
Minneapolis
Its going back. Didn't take long for the novelty of the smaller screen to wear off. There's a reason people were clammoring for a bigger iPhone after a few years. The smaller keyboard and typing errors along with the unexpected eye strain getting use to everything being smaller than I have been used to the last 3 years made this an easy decision. Picking up a G5 tomorrow.
Why are you going to the G5? Just curious. I hate LG's Ive had the G3 and V10. Why not just go to a 6s plus or 6s? For me the 6s is the perfect size!

addey

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2016
Also sent mine back due to eye strain and headaches. Probably more to do with the onset of middle age than Apples fault.

Really loved the phone and the software but just couldn't get on with the 4 inch screen. The obvious solution is the 6s but I just cant stomach the cost of the 64gig and the 16gig is a joke :)

Reactions: baypharm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.