Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in November removed all vaping-related apps from the App Store, leaving people with app-connected vapes without a way to control their devices on their iPhones.

paxwebsite.jpg

Vape manufacturer PAX has found a way to get around Apple's rules, launching a website that allows users to manage their PAX vapes. With the new web app, Era and Era Pro users can control their devices on Macs and PCs using Google Chrome, providing an alternative to the missing iPhone app.

When Apple pulled all vaping-related apps from the App Store, the company cited CDC reports of thousands of lung injury cases linked to vapes and e-cigarettes, and called the spread of the devices "a public health crisis" and "youth epidemic."

Apple did not allow apps that sold vape cartridges, and the apps that were pulled offered vape-related news or controls for vape devices. PAX, for example, relied heavily on the App Store to add technology to its vapes, with the PAX app letting users adjust vaporizer temperature, set parental controls, verify the authenticity of cartridges, change light colors, and more.

After Apple outright banned vape-related apps PAX called on the company to rethink the decision, claiming that it was important for customers to "have access to important information and the ability to better control their cannabis experience."

Pax specifically cited its PodID feature that provides access to data about what's in vape pods, such as strain information, cannabinoid and terpene profiles, and state regulated test results, which could help vaporizer users avoid illicit and dangerous cartridges.

Apple refused to budge, however, leading PAX to create the website as an alternative. At this time, accessing the site can only be done on Mac and PC desktops using the Chrome browser, and it won't work with Safari.

The web app provides device controls, cannabis strain information, and safety features such as locking. These are the same options that were in the now-removed iOS app and can still be accessed on Android devices.

Article Link: After Apple Bans Vape Apps From App Store, PAX Creates Website for Vape Management

gsurf123

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2017
Sadly there is not a way to have the creation of such websites banned yet.
What people do in their free time with their money is their business. No one needs or wants your opinion, supervision or approval. I am happy to live in the US knowing have a tremendous amount of freedom that is for the most part unmatched in the rest of the world.

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Don't want or need Apple to be a moral gatekeeper of apps.

they’re not taking a moral stand, they’re choosing to aid in the distribution of apps that may harm or kill people. It’s a legal issue.
[automerge]1591030679[/automerge]
The question is do people really need an app connected vape pen? People managed to get cancer just fine with non bluetooth cigarettes back in the day.

haha, right? Like this really seems excessive that an app would even exist

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
The original ban on vape apps seemed to be based on the health crisis around people having issues with additives in the vape cartridges themselves. Which was determined to be a Vitamin E additive that was causing the lung issues.

I hope the company behind Firefly follows suit here, I luckily had the app installed prior to the ban, so my app still works, but some of my friends are unable to control their Firefly because of the ban.

Last edited:

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Why would you want them banned? That’s immensely idiotic.

These devices are circumventing anti smoking work that has been slowly making progress in getting rid of smoking. They've made it cool for kids to use and created a fresh generation of smokers that where turned off cigarettes. This isn't about taking away people freedoms, its about a industry that found a way to sell cigarettes in a new package.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Preventing drug usage is very easy: education in freedom from parents, education from school, education from media and punishment of consumption everywhere (street, events, work place, etc; much as done on the road) with fines increasing with recidivism. Drugs (legal and illegal; from coffee or ethanol to cocaine or heroin): you are as safe as you want to be. That easy!

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
The question is do people really need an app connected vape pen? People managed to get cancer just fine with non bluetooth cigarettes back in the day.
No, that's not the question... that's whataboutism... ?
But, yes, I, too, don't think everything needs an app... but it's not Apple's business to interfere with someone elses business that have already invested in and commited to their infrastructure.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

Who are you or Apple to question the validity of the need, let the market decide, if no one needs/wants the app it will go away on its own.

These devices are circumventing anti smoking work that has been slowly making progress in getting rid of smoking. They've made it cool for kids to use and created a fresh generation of smokers that where turned off cigarettes. This isn't about taking away people freedoms, its about a industry that found a way to sell cigarettes in a new package.

So what? Let people do what they want and ultimately pay the price for those actions. Alcohol isn't good for you either, are you advocating its abolition too? Thousands die in car accidents etc.

P.S. - Not a smoker but support an individuals right to do it as long as it doesn't affect those that don't.

NickR2

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2019
The original ban on vape apps seemed to be based on the health crisis around people having issues with additives in the vape cartridges themselves. Which was determined to be a Vitamin E additive that was causing the lung issues.

I hope the company behind Firefly follows suit here, I luckily had the app installed prior to the ban, so my app still works, but some of my friend's are unable to control their Firefly because of the ban.
I have a problem with the sickening additives, too! But, there is NO harm in Vaping! In fact it is TRUE that MILLIONS have quit smoking for a much better alternative. But Apple's new leadership is more concerned with advancing the propaganda and agenda of the left than maintaining the quality of their products and software!
Mr. Jobs is rolling over in his GRAVE :mad:

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR

Really, what's the problem with using nicotine? Billions use caffeine every day, and it's arguably more addictive. How about sugar? Alcohol? Marijuana? Potato chips?

I mean, how about apps that promote potentially unsafe sex with strangers? Smoking is more "immoral" than that?

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Preventing drug usage is very easy: education in freedom from parents, education from school, education from media and punishment of consumption everywhere (street, events, work place, etc; much as done on the road) with fines increasing with recidivism. Drugs (legal and illegal; from coffee or ethanol to cocaine or heroin): you are as safe as you want to be. That easy!
You clearly didn't go to my high school.

TETENAL

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2014
haha, right? Like this really seems excessive that an app would even exist
If you want venture capital, you need to be a "tech company". Nobody is investing fresh money into an old-school nicotine vendor.

greenbreadmmm

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2007

How does someone wanting to adjust the temperature of their dried cannabis flower vaporizer, in any way make it cool for kids to smoke cigarettes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.