After Applecare Options?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WannaGoMac, May 2, 2007.

1. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

I understand Applecare on a new macbook C2D is not extendable once the 3 yrs is over :(.

However, it is Applecare that I love most about Mac as it has taken the burden of supporting my parents silly computer questions off my shoulders!

While I do have 2.5 years left of Applecare taking questions like "How do I get rid of this thingy I just saved to my screen?" I am already dreading that in 2.5 yrs I will have to field these questions again!

What support options are available to me after Applecare? I mainly just want the telephone support line to take these questions!

Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

For questions like that, tell 'em to come here. There's usually someone online willing to help. :)

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

The short answer is that after AppleCare, it's on you (unless it's a recall item).

The people in these forums are particularly helpful, though, and can typically help you fix most software problems. If it's a hardware problem, Apple will still fix it, but it'll cost ya.

4. WannaGoMac thread starter macrumors 65816

I appreciate the offer. But, you're assuming they can figure out how to post in a forum! lol! :D No way.

They need to be able to say verbally on the phone
    "The internet on my laptop is too small now, and doesn't fill up everything." ... Translation, Firefox wasn't maximized anymore!! LOL :D Thank god Applecare understood this and fixed it, cause I had NO idea what they were talking about...

hehe :D

5. WannaGoMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Darn it! :(

I don't care about hardware coverage, I just want the telephone support!

Guess that is one way to get users to buy new Macs every 3 years. Looks like that's what I will just have to do in 2.5 years... :)

6. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

I was going to ask about Applecare what happens after 3 years, shame it can't be renewed. That would explain why I could never find any info on it.

The thing that worries me is say in a year or two someone with a G5 breaks down, will Apple even have spare parts left for them? Do they even have spare parts now for G5's... now that Intel is so far ahead.

As I've heard quite a few at the moment that their G5's couldn't be fixed so it got replaced with the equivalent speed Mac Pro.

7. tristan macrumors 6502a

You've got it good. They have Applecare and they're on a mac. Two of my family members still ask me questions about their PCs and I'm like "buddy, I haven't had a PC in five years". Then they get angry - "you could figure it out if you wanted to!" I'm sure I'm one of a zillion people on this forum that go through this kind of thing.

So in 2 1/2 years Applecare will expire, you'll be on the hook for a year, and then can talk them into an upgrade by telling them their system is running out of horsepower (which it will be). Sounds like a great situation to me.

8. WannaGoMac thread starter macrumors 65816

I paid for the computer actually, so I won't have a problem buying them a replacement. They absolutely LOVE Applecare. They find all the reps very nice and patient with their level of questions. Much better than when dell says contact the software vendor! haha.

Honestly, Applecare is the best thing I have ever seen and frankly is a better selling point than the Mac itself!! :D

Where else can you buy nowadays quality tech support with people who are patient, friendly, and knowledgeable?! Not from Dell, HP, IBM etc...

9. sinstoic macrumors member

Simple! By the time the computer and associated peripherals are 3 years old, it is best to trash/donate/sell them and buy a new computer and peripherals with AppleCare! :)

When I was growing up, television had a life of 10 years. Later most electronic equipment's life reduced to 5 years. Now most equipment last 3 years. As technology makes the stuff obsolete, manufacturers aren't making their equipment that will outlast the techology cycle. So even if you want to cling on to your old stuff, the chances of your equipment failing once it is past its warranty period is very very high. Further finding support and spares are difficult.

In developed countries for repairs and maintenance, labor charges with spares cost as much as a new equipment. With this does it make sense to maintain old stuff?

Nowadays, time is really money! The time you spend to support/maintain old stuff can be effectively used to work and make money that can buy you new stuff!

10. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

damn. I owe 200K for my house and probably another 50K in cars and all else. I wonder how long technology says they will last?

Better be the rest of my life!

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The problem is that your support seems to them to be free and therefore without value. A solution would be to help them, then print out a bill, with a 100% rebate, and give it to them. Take the time it took you to help them, rounded up to the nearest half hour, multiply say with the hourly rate that a plumber or electrician charges in your area.

12. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

My Mother loved Applecare for the reasons already stated. Before the end of the third year, however, she had settled into a routine and no longer needed it. You have 2 years yet before you have to worry.

13. WannaGoMac thread starter macrumors 65816

haha, can't wait till they send you the bill for Thanksgiving dinner that year! lol. billing the parents! too funny.

14. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I agree with some of the other posters. I would sell the computer after 2.5 years then buy another. You could probably still get a good deal on it 2.5 yrs from now.

Nuc

15. tristan macrumors 6502a

Sounds great... So can I charge the same rate when I unclog their drain or defrost their refrigerator? Man, I'm living the dream... :)

No, the problem is that people don't listen when you tell them to get a Mac Mini instead of the overpriced HP. The OP is lucky, or so I thought, but now I realize that he bought the computer for his family in the first place.

16. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Seriously why sell it if the machine does the person just fine?

17. WannaGoMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Look up in thread please :)
    I only really care about the phone support.. not the hardware warranty

18. Trogloxene macrumors regular

Machines work until they don't work anymore. :) Keep your old machine while it still does useful stuff. And after awhile it's even cool retro computing.

I never buy any extended warranties, and I just keep that money for a little repair at some very later date.

-T

19. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Yeah I know. I know you're after the tech support stuff, but I'm just stating a simple question to anyone. I don't really need an answer, but you never know who's lurking. :)

There are plenty people out there that are so obsessed in trying to stay on the bleeding edge as close as possible which means selling their previous machine to get the new one or one model down. Whether it be the system they've just had for 1 - 1.5 years.
    Heck I've even read some people have spent a lot of money on a tower or portable to have it sold off again 6 months down the road. Yes I know some people might have to sell it because life circumstances change but there is a lot of geeky people out there that would do these things, which to me just seems pointless.

That costs more money in the long run than paying for one and letting it run its course and make plenty of good use out of it. If you make plenty money it'll already have had paid for itself many times over.

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could you come to an agreement with a local reseller? They might be able to offer phone support at a fee.

21. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Yeah, many of the local resellers do offer programs for a cost...they also charge per hour for work which is how they make the big bucks!:eek:

Hey, make some money yourself- charge them $299 for two years and change your voice on the phone to offer the tech support yourself!:D

22. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I have bad news buddy.. I thought the phone support was only good for 1 year (ie: the extended Applecare extends phone support from the 90 days to 1 year). The hardware support is what's good for 3 years.

23. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

not according to the AC box i'm holding in my hands... well, was until i put it down to type. 3 years for both phone and hardware!

Of course, what are the odds i'll be able to find that box when i need it?!?! :D

24. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Remote Desktop

Buy Remote Desktop. This program is an absolute godsend for those times I can't figure what the heck my parents are talking about (or any of the other elderly people I support).

It will pay for itself, believe me. You can also update things in the middle of the night without having to bug them.

Good luck!

25. wickedsteve macrumors member

If my memory is correct, last time I checked Apple simply charged for any repairs or phone tech support that is not covered under AppleCare. So it is not like you can't get a repair on a Mac that has expired AppleCare it just will cost you. I think the same applies to phone support, but I don't know how much they charge for it.

Thing is I would have paid more for repairs on three iBooks ($350 each) than I paid for the Applecare ($250 each) so keeping that money for a "little repair at some very later date" would have been more expensive.