Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
So... I had an iPhone 3G that I finally got up and running a couple months ago with the newest 4.2.1 firmware and 6.15BB. Great. It went into the dreaded loop of no return, and I could not restore. Luckily, I found some links that told me that if I had put myself on the 6.15BB, I could not do a normal restore ever again. I would have to downgrade to 4.1, as it had the same baseband. So I did that, actually. I can happily say that i'm now on 4.1 again, and I'm jailbroken / unlocked. While this is good, 4.2 fixed some speed issues, and I'd like to go back up... can I go back up now? I THINk I can, and I THINK I will try... anyone? thanks!

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
"4.1, as it had the same baseband."

4.1 iPhone firmware did not come with the iPad baseband 6.x. 4.1 just works with the iPad baseband is all. The baseband changed from 4.1 to 4.2.1 on the 3G, 3G S and 4.

Great, the guy in this video uses the term bricked and like 99% of other iphone hackers uses it incorrectly. Bricked = dead. Period.

As far as solving your issue the only way I've been able to get a 3G that was already on 4.2.1 and 6.15.00 to restore BACK to 4.2.1 (for whatever reason) is to create a custom firmware file with pwnagetool but select NO when it asks about ipad baseband. Get into DFU and restore with the custom firmware in itunes.

Last edited:

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Yeah so it works... here's what you have to do...
1) Bricked iPhone on 4.2.1 w/ 6.15 BB.
2) Use iTunes to restore to 4.1 standard. Will work
3) Put phone in DFU mode
4) Restore to custom pwnagetool-made 4.2.1
5) Be happy (well, as happy as you can be with an iPhone 3G)
Great, the guy in this video uses the term bricked and like 99% of other iphone hackers uses it incorrectly. Bricked = dead. Period.
This seems to be up for debate. "bricked" has been used since the very first iPhone, and it represented a state of no usability. However, most of those "bricks" were able to be recovered as soon as Apple issued the next firmware update (man, that was a long time ago).

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Nothing personal but the term bricked has clearly shifted meaning from dead phone, to an excuse for either not knowing how to fix the problem at hand, or just a temporary set back while knowledge is being acquired.

It would be funny if this term shifted to other technologies like cars. I bricked my car when I put locking lugs nuts on the new rims and lost the key.

As far as your instructions, if you are already on 4.2.1 and can get into DFU then eliminate step 2. There is no need to go back to 4.1 just to come back up to 4.2.1. Simply get the custom firmware from pwnagetool and restore it right over what you already have. That's what I did.

When it comes to the dog slow 3G, the less steps the better.

Last edited:

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Bricked = an item of completely useless dead weight, i.e. boat anchor, door stop, coaster, or...a brick.
Borked = what all newb's do to their phones which prompts the myriad of "HELP" threads in the forum.

Last edited:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Bricked = an item of completely useless dead weight, i.e. boat anchor, door stop, coaster, or...a brick.
Borked = what all newb's do to their phones which prompts the myriad of "HELP" threads in the forum.

+1 to you good sir....

iPhones can't be truly bricked. Well they can, but only 1st Gen when doing a hack operand.

Attachments

• 1291607351774.png
    1291607351774.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 42

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
As far as your instructions, if you are already on 4.2.1 and can get into DFU then eliminate step 2. There is no need to go back to 4.1 just to come back up to 4.2.1. Simply get the custom firmware from pwnagetool and restore it right over what you already have. That's what I did.
I tried that 4 or 5 times... yes, on that dog-slow 3G! Didn't work. Finally going back to 4.1 did it for me. Sheesh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.