after exchanging 6 macbook airs I'm still having problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Aras87, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Aras87 macrumors member

Hi guys,

It is my first post here and also this is my first mac. Unfortunately it has been a frustrating experience so far. In the last 2 weeks, I had to go through 6 13inch MBAs because of various quality control issues. Misaligned screen, terribely uneven screen brightness, anodizing defects, flexing/creaking bodies etc. 6th one looks ok so far. Screen is good, no creaking sounds and it run quite well. However last night I noticed that my speakers were buzzing quite a bit when I was on a Skype call(volume all the way up). I played couple of songs like linking park-numb (volume @100%) and there was still some buzzing. Are you guys also having problems with the speakers ? Do everybody have buzzing with the video below at 100% volume?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THsUdKVRnQU

2. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

No buzzing here. It seems kind of... odd that you've had 6 faulty MacBook Airs...

3. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

for your first mac i would expect you to be a little less anal..

its not like you ever read threads about PC owners going through 6 new laptops before they find a special one...i always assumed the analness of mac buyers was acquired over time,..haha

4. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Manufacturing standards are such that few computers come out with defects out of the box. Sometimes, you get a defective unit. Typically, after an exchange things are normal. (Unless we are talking about a widespread problem that occasionally occurs with some Apple products at launch)

To have gone through 6 "bad" units tells me that the problem is probably not the computers, sounds more like a case of Apple OCD, a common syndrome among people who are on the lookout for any minor flaws or imperfections in their units which leads them to blow certain fairly normal things out of proportion.

5. Aras87 thread starter macrumors member

wow, did i got another lemon ? :( Did you set the volume all the way up both on youtube and mac ?

6. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

^if you have it plugged into an outlet and you are getting buzzing..

try using another outlet (don't go through any power strips or surge protectors)..

it solved my buzzing problem

7. Aras87 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the tip, however it is buzzing when it not plugged in as well. Pressing on caps lock and return keys kind of reduces buzzing. It is definetely speaker related.

8. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

Something smells fishy...and it's not my pet clown fish Nemo.

9. 2IS macrumors 68030

I always wonder when I read threads like this... Was it really a problem with the machine, or a problem with the end user having unrealistic expectations and/or being completely anal about things that most people wouldn't even notice. Sadly, in this forum, it's usually the latter and considering you went through 6, I'll bet this is one of "those" cases. Gotta love these 1st world problems.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I received an outstanding example of a MacBook Air on my first try. That being said, I am not about to inspect my computer to meet your expectations. I'm happy.

11. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

12. Aras87 thread starter macrumors member

considering all that hype surrounding Apple, I don't understand why I'm called anal or OCD. Seriously a brand new laptop with a 1 inch scratch on it ?? if this is acceptable for you, I'm sorry but you have very low expectations from a premium laptop and also you are allowing manufactures to get away with limited quality controls.

Anyway the point of this thread was to see if you guys are also having problems with your speakers. i would really appreciate if you can stick to the topic.

13. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I've got a definite fix. Save all your files and close down all the programs. In this order press and hold each button for 15 seconds then release; left shift, right shift, caps lock, enter, then the power button. The buzzing will go away, I promise. :)

As far as the buzzing on the youtube, it's a low quality sound file that is being distorted digitally if you have the speakers up 100%. If you're displeased with this Air, return it to Apple and hopefully the exchange will be in your favor.

14. rosemary1 macrumors regular

I got a "perfect" MBA on the first try. Some of your issues might be legit, but I'm doubting all 6 of them are. You have your mind made up on the speakers already obviously, so do what you will.

15. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

if you are referring to an apple laptop being premium you have sadly miss judged your calculations, us apple users love our machines not because they hold a high price tag, but because we love the overall advantage in which apple holds in their service, and product. To us its still a laptop just a better one.

seems like to me, the only reason you want a mac is to try and be cool, please just go back to pc were your native people can obliterate society with wurms, and viruses, and then have to buy a new machine every year cause of the idiocracy that incapsulates your expectations, and ocd tendencies.

16. Aras87 thread starter macrumors member

???

for gods sake If you have nothing to contribute please ignore this thread.

17. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

ok here is a contribution, either turn down the volume or buy speakers with external volume control, who uses the volume at 100% on stock speakers, and 6 minor complaints? really?

if you have a gripe about minor issues you have more to worry about than speakers.

18. stevensr123 macrumors 6502

I'm taking my back tomorrow, hopefully for a replacement. My left USB port is faulty, It keeps rejecting my external hardrives without my permission.

19. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

do you have them formatted correctly? HFS journaled +?

20. 2IS macrumors 68030

I use both platforms extensively. I'm a member of forums dedicated to both platforms that I'm also an active participant in. I can assure you, the OCD tendencies are on this side of the fence.

21. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Six new MBA's. Don't believe it. I think this is troll bait all the way. Post a picture with your six exchange receipts. One exchange, I could believe, but six. No way... You either have no clue about what you are doing or your are a serial liar trying to get attention.

22. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

I came to this conclusion as well, I think he just wants a flame thread.

23. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You are living the Apple Dream. Six returns with minimal drama is what we buy into when we go to Apple for computing needs.

24. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Join The Club

I have returned two now. I really want one, but am starting to think MBP:mad:

25. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

I had an issue with my 2010 MacBook Pro connecting to my LG LCD. Everytime I connected it to my monitor via HDMI it gave me black bars. No other laptop or desktop does this with the monitor, even the Macbook Pro in windows itself (i found that out after updating drivers). I brought it into an apple store after weeks of trying to fix the problem myself (tried a number of solutions). They said its most likely a motherboard issue. So, they replaced the motherboard. When I got back my new one, the serial number on it was wrong and for that alone I needed another new motherboard, mind you, regardless of the serial screwup, I was still having issues with HDMI output. I got another motherboard, I still had the same issue, and this time, my macbook pro was freezing often (like, 5 times a day minimum; during idle, in OS X after a cold boot, in windows, and even during installation of windows). I brought it back to the apple store and said this isnt working for me and said i'd be forced to sell the laptop if I couldnt get it to work properly with my monitor.

They gave me a brand new 2011 AMD 6750M based macbook with the 2.3ghz configuration, highres screen and matte display. Now, I know a lot of you will be like 'holy crap! WOW!' but I really wasnt all too excited. I mean, yeah its a way faster machine, but I lost 2+ months of usage from my laptop, my optibay caddy, 1TB WD 9.5mm 2.5" drive, and my Intel 320 SSD have all been sitting idly waiting to be put to use.

And guess what? The new one STILL doesnt work with the monitor. I'm lead to believe Apple's drivers are written half ass. The monitor is a P-MVA panel display so its not a crappy TN display with washed colours. I wasnt planning on switching displays just to get a laptop to work.

I ended up buying a new monitor, Asus PA246Q (IPS Panel) and it works fine now. It cost me a lot of money, but I really need a larger display for use at home with proper colour reproduction. The small 15" screen is an eyesore for extended hours.

If anyones curious about my ordeal with the original 2010 MBP and my LCD, heres the thread where I tried a number of things to get it to work;

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1203042