After Leopard Install Safari Very Slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cokeacola, Oct 31, 2007.

1. cokeacola macrumors member

could someone help me please as this is driving me nuts !:mad:

2 days ago installed 10.5 on my new alu IMac and everything zips along great except for safari,which seems to take an age page loading

nothing else is working in the background ie time machine and it is taking for ever to load and display web pages

anyone else having problems with it ?

2. Vster macrumors 6502

I'm also having a similar problem. I installed 10.5 on my G5 iMac and Safari is extremely sluggish. I did a bandwidth speed test and pulled 149.5 kb/sec where on my wife's MacBook w/10.5 was a 1295 kb/sec.

On a side note the iMac will drop the AirPort signal after about 5 min and won't allow me to connect back to my network w/out turning AP card off and then back on. So for now the blasted thing has just been turned off :(

P.S. the iMac install was a erase/install and the MacBook install was an update.

3. cokeacola thread starter macrumors member

im beginning to think thats its a plug-in prob

is there a quick way to re-install safari so as all the plugins are erased and its a fresh install ?

4. Ondrej macrumors newbie

Very strange behaviour

I have just spent first week with Leopard and experience this Safari speed problem too. Some sites open fine, some NOT OPEN AT ALL - server not found.
    Line works fine, files are being downloaded at some 250kB/s at the very same time Safari takes two minutes to open a regular site (Google).

Strange is that this occurs with some sites at some times - I see no logic (like local domains vs. global ones).

5. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

I am having this same problem on a MB 2ghz C2D. After I installed Leopard, safari was super fast, now its much much much slower than firrefox and camino so I can rule out connection problems. This happens on almost every single website, even apple.com. Also the Webkit nightlys are running just as slow, but havent tried shiira yet.

The only things installed on my computer that might effect safari are inquisitor and perian. Could these be causing the problem? Im going to try to delete them and see.

Please help, I cant do firefox, I just cant.

6. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Ugh!! I've got the same problem. Speedtest.net shows good download/upload speeds but for whatever reason some sites load ridiculously slow and some load like normal. I compared with my friends MB with Tiger and the same websites load like normal.

Hope there's a fix/update soon enough or some work around we can do.

7. giom macrumors newbie

Same thing for me, I first installed leopard and everything was really fast, I then installed the leopard update and since then my safari has been randomly sluggish (for example sometimes google display instantly sometimes it takes a long time....)

I have inquisitor, perian and divx pro installed.... So I wonder if it's the reason...

8. skillz1318 macrumors regular

yeah i have the same problem....firefox works perfect however so if no one finds a solution i recommend going to firefox which is as fast as ever prior to leopard upgrade...

I really do like safari but not at the speed reduction it currently has.....

9. Britanium macrumors member

Same slow speed problem with 10.4.11, which included Safari 3. I installed this update on an G3 iBook 500, and it's just incredibly slow, almost unusable. Although, it seems to work fine on my CD MBP... hmmm

10. giom macrumors newbie

Strange, I'm now at work and here safari is very quick.

But at home, safari is sluggish and unusable while opera and firefox are nice and quick...

11. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Yeah I noticed the same problem. Some pages loads OK but some have unbelievable lag. And that stated with 10.5.1....Its annoying at best. Hope they will fix it soon
    EDIT No plug ins installed

12. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Try and reset your PRAM. Hold Option, Cmd, P, R when booting up and wait for the second chime. Then release. This sped up my Macbook A LOT after upgrading to Leopard so I highly recommend it.

13. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

tried that. did it for the lengthy blue screen on start up, didnt see to help. also i reinstalled leopard and migrated my time machine backup, still have the slowness but not as bad as before.

14. gregoryhifi macrumors newbie

Me, too!!!

I don't get it. Skype works with full video in real time, Slingbox has a connection of 300+ Kbs, speedtest.net says I'm downloading at over 3,000 Kbs...but Safari and Firefox are reeeeeeeeeeally slow. Painfully slow. According to the Stat thingee in my dashboard, it's around 4 Kbs!!! This doesn't make any sense to me. Can anyone help???

15. gregoryhifi macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, and iTune is fast. Download TV shows, movies, songs in no time. Problem is just with web browsing--steaming video in web browsers is literally impossible. It's like I'm on dial-up again.

16. SBG88 macrumors regular

Same experience. Safari will say "not connected to internet" or "invalid address" where Firefox connects instantly.

17. giom macrumors newbie

Hi,

For anybody who has this problem there is a possible fix.

I changed my dns server to opendns www.opendns.com (bypassing the dns from the router) and safari is now as quick at home as at my office

One possible reason for this is that safari uses getaddrinfo() for getting the dns information while opera and firefox may use gethostbyname() (or maybe have a quicker timeout if the lookup fails)

In leopard the behavior of getaddrinfo() changed to first attempt an SRV lookup and then fall back to an A record query. The problem is that my router's dns server (which would redirect to the isp dns server) gives no answer when a srv lookup is performed (and so the dns request first times out before attempting to look for A records)

This page helped me to see this issue.
    http://blog.jungledisk.com/2007/10/31/leopard-dns-issues-and-work-around/

I may be wrong about the cause for the problem though, but at least it now works and safari is the fastest browser on the system again....

18. GregHK88 macrumors newbie

Router Firmware Upgrade

After an upgrade to 10.5.1 and Safari to 3.0.4 I also had the same slow response time problem mainly with Safari but occasionally with Firefox. I tried many of the suggestions on this and other forums. The final solution was to upgrade the firmware to the latest level in my router. I use a Netgear WNR854T. So far this appears to be working.

Regards,

19. dcforsberg macrumors newbie

Fix to Slow Safari

After 2 hours and 22 minutes on the phone with Tech Support at Apple, my problem was fixed. I was frustrated with dial-up speeds after my Leopard installation.

He dragged a system configuration folder to the desktop, then launched Safari again. That was literally the fix to weeks of frustration!

Please let me know if this works for you! It did for me!!!

20. geewash macrumors newbie

Safari problems

Where is this configuration file found and what is the name of it? There are a number of config files on my computer. I'm running 10.5.1 on a MacBook Pro

21. dcforsberg macrumors newbie

I believe it's: Mac HD...Library...System Configuration.

I don't want to mess up your computer if it's not

I didn't realize there was more than one. I'm not a tech type person. I would recommend calling the Apple 800 number. You are entitled to free support since Leopard is so new.

22. slackpacker macrumors 6502a

slackpacker

You have told us nothing about something that took you 2 hours to solve.... please expand on this if you .... this post says nothing about how to solve it. IT was not the SYSTEM CONFIG FOLDER SINCE IT DOES NOT EXIST. Sorry I just dont want to have to go through 2 hrs of apple support to solve this... thats what the boards here are for.

23. spirochete macrumors newbie

I know this is a few months down the line but the above post is / was a bit blunt and uncalled for wasn't it ?

He has told you the answer - even if in a 'non-techy' way.

The System Config folder DOES exist - its in the root level Library folder ( i.e. NOT the user Library)

Deleted mine- restarted - Safari lethargy resolved.

(If you can't find things manually - try Spotlight ? - its what its there for!)

Many thanks to the original poster......

Spirochete

24. vrod1234 macrumors newbie

Safari and/or Firefox Very slow

All of a sudden in the past two weeks with no other reason except maybe that big update Apple sent out last week my web pages started loading verrrry slooow. I am glad I found this thread. I had called tech support and they said the only way to solve the problem was to do a clean re-install of tiger which I refused to do. It seems like they believe a clean re-install is the easy way out. Anyway, after reading your post I went to MacHD>library>preferences>systemconfiguration and dragged that folder to the desktop. I then did a restart and my web pages immediately began loading instantly. After making sure everything was OK I sent the old systemconfig folder which was on my desktop to trash.

Thanx again for the info

vrod

25. installingcats macrumors newbie

slow safari on Leopard fix

I've put together a list of reasons why Safari or Internet in general are slow on Leopard and how you might fix it. The one big change from Tiger to Leopard was the way DNS Lookups are handled, e.g. translating "forums.macrumors.com" to 74.86.210.200.

Leopard is using a barely supported SRV request in order to translate names to IP addresses. Only when that fails does Leopard fallback to using an A record request, which all DNS servers (and DSL routers) support.

The result of this change is Safari/Firefox running slow while web browsing and is most notable when you first visit a link and it spends time "looking up" or "contacting" a site.