After long activation, Apple called and wants the phone back

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SailorMike, Jul 19, 2008.

1. SailorMike macrumors member

I went through a 9 hour Apple/AT&T (mostly ATT) nightmare last friday to get my phone. It took 3 more days to get the data plan working.

And just now the Apple store called and needs me to come in and exchange the phone. Apparently 135 phones at the Orlando Apple store were not "officially" sold and are marked for deactivation tomorrow. He said it was part of the massive glich from last Friday.

AT&T-the hits just keep on coming.

2. robhedin macrumors regular

This seems bizarre-- you've got an "official" receipt that says they sold it to you complete with a matching serial number and you've got an account with AT&T that says it's the same device, right?

Personally, I'd want a better explanation as to exactly what they're talking about and before I'd go down I'd want some kind of clue as to how they're going to compensate me for the wasted time, effort and aggravation.

rob.

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Haha, keep it.

4. islandtitan macrumors regular

islandtitan

Tell them it'll take about 7-10 days for you to get there :)

5. SailorMike thread starter macrumors member

The guy was extremely apologetic and offered me stuff like an iPhone case or a year of MobileMe. In fact, after the 9 hour debacle on Friday, they gave me free AppleCare for my phone.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

And then make them stand in line :)

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont get it. isnt the whole point to sell the phones which they did?

8. islandtitan macrumors regular

islandtitan

Maybe those are the ones with the Golden Tickets!!!

9. SqB macrumors 6502

Tell them that they are not yet return eligible and that if they would like the phone returned, they will have to pay an ERF (Early Return Fee).

Seriously, it sounds like they are being very cool about it with what they are offering you. If it was an ATT store they would have just shut the phone off and waited for you to come back in to figure out what was wrong...AND THEN they would have told you would would have to have your new phone DF'd.

I'm still thinking the :apple: store is the way to go even if I do have to go through all the pain of having my FAN removed.

10. Ori macrumors 6502

Take the mobile me and chuck it my way! ;-)

11. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

I would like an update to this story, perhaps a call to Local 6 problem solvers or Local 13 news for a follow up story, maybe get Ybeth Bruzual or Sharon Miranda to come interview you :D

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

Just take it back to the Orlando Apple Millenia (no line cause they are all sold out)

Just come back to the Orlando Apple Millenia store. They have a sign currently out that they are all sold out so while it's busy in here, there's really no line to wait to get yourself serviced here today. It's Saturday 445PM here at the Mall.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so you are saying they would effectively end the contract? id keep it and unlock it!!

14. volsfan macrumors regular

volsfan

thats completely retarded. I would make sure and get some good free stuff out of this

15. ThinkingDog macrumors newbie

Now, that there is funny :D:D

16. SailorMike thread starter macrumors member

I asked them if they had any in stock for the exchange. They said they enough to handle the problems, but none for sale.

17. SqB macrumors 6502

No, they'd just de-activate it and keep charging you for it. Then if you didn't bring it in they'd probably ETF you. You new to ATT?

18. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Squeeze for the lot. Get mobileme, applecare, a case and whatever else ya can. I'd make sure you can actually get a replacement in your hand

Maybe you could get bumped up a plan without the charge?

19. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Man, lets not get greedy. It's nice that they offered you something and it's worth good money. Applecare is awesome. Mobileme is worth $99, a case $30-50??? That's worth it for me to go in and exchange it. Just make sure you get a good one when you go in.

20. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

are u kidding me? the guy waited 9 hours for the fon!! it's finally working fine, and now they want it back..I bet he has all his music, apps, contacts, etc...that will all be wiped when he gives the fon back!!! No way ask for the world and make sure they have a fon to give you just in case...kind of happened to me, I went to return the 3g iphone that I waited 7 hours for because it was defective..the guy almost screwed up everything, I was like "dude you better get the manager because I will go crazy if I leave without a fon"...Apple blew the activation process for the Iphone and MobileMe transition was horrible!! Don't go there with a heart, u waited that long, now get as much as u can

21. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

Learn how to spell phone!

Anyway, just take the phone back and get a new one. And something else for free. Unless you wish to jailbreak, maybe you could even get out of your contract?

22. Demosthenes427 macrumors regular

My God, I lose faith in humanity more and more every goddamn day...

Take what they offer you, my friend. They could've just easily gone, "**** you, give me your phone and we'll screw with it a bit." Then you're SOL.

23. janey macrumors 603

janey

If the phone was working, you should have synced it with iTunes. iTunes remembers it and has a backup of the phone you can use with any other phone.

What exactly are you losing again?

24. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

straight to the point, you spent time waiting for the phone? right?

-If you cant get out of the contract and you want to then is the perfect opportunity.

-If you need apple care or anything else try to get it.

-If you dont care about it and dont have time to go and exchange it, keep it.

In other words do what is better for you, but if you are gonna exchange it, go and make a list of known bugs and problems like dust under screen, loose buttons, scratches and other issues that has been reported here and make sure you get out with a healthy phone.

25. ckbook macrumors member

The manager of the Millinia store is awesome to deal with. He will go beyond your expectations to make sure your happy. Steer clear of the Florida mall, the manager there is a thief.