After Mac OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by prmccarron, Aug 11, 2010.

1. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

There have to be a million threads in here about Mac OS 10.7 and 10.8. Some about OS 11. But who says Apple has to stop OS X after 10.9 or 10.10? I have Mac OS 10.4.11, so they didn't stop at 10.4.9 there. Also, Apple apparently has the names "Lynx" and "Cougar" registered. Here's what I think would happen if they DO stop OS X after 10.9.
    10.7 - Lynx
    10.8 - Cougar
    10.9 (Final Release) - Lion
    They inevitably have to use lion, and it should be their final release of OS X. After they leave the cat family they should go on to dogs... wolf, coyote, endless possibilities. Some people say they should move to marine animals, where they would have many more possibilities than in the dog family alone. So what do you think?
    1) Will Mac OS X end after 10.9 or 10.10, or will it go on to 10.11 etc.
    2) Once they do go on after OS X, will OS 11 follow the old pattern (11 to 12 to 13) or will they do 11.0, 11.1, 11.2...
    2a) If they do follow the OS X pattern, what family will they base it off of?
    3)What should the remaining releases of OS X be called?

2. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Not dogs. I see too many versions of "Mac OS Poodle" on 4chan.

They'll go to something else ;)

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I thought there was a thread on this.

Jobs said OS X will lead us for the next 20 years while ago.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There was a thread or a news story, I forget which (maybe both) that apple was seriously considering renaming OSX to iOS Desktop to better align their products and provide a consistent name to market. I have no idea if this is true, but if so, then its possible that we won't see a OSX 10.7 (or 10.8) but rather a iOS Desktop version 1 or something.

5. inket macrumors regular

inket

I think they will keep using the same pattern for Leopard and Snow Leopard;

A features release and a "technologies" release with names like Lynx and Snow Lynx (?) for example.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, there are many threads on this topic. To the OP, this new thread will shed no new light on the issue.

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It doesn't matter what they name it. That's just a marketing decision. What really matters is what it does.

8. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

:confused:
    Thanks for the contribution