Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
I made the switch to the iPhone 4 on Verizon. I originally had a Droid1 with Verizon, but switched to the iPhone. Does anyone else have any download problems? It takes forever to download one app from the app store. the store itself and safari are also slow with loading. I don't remember my Droid ever taking that long. I love the phone, but that kind of bothers me. I took the first one back and got it exchanged, thinking it was a bad phone, but this one does it too.

My first vzw iPhone I took back to the Apple store for overheating.

the replacement they gave me was noticeably faster on the 3G speeds.

It's been rock solid ever since.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
had the opposite experience on data. Although vzw worked well in manhattan it was too slow when I travelled upstate. Also, the gps on the viphone was vastly inferior, so I switched back to att and will wait for viphone 5

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
voice is inferior but I don't talk much. data can be spotty but is very fast when working

I use my iPhone for voice probably 10% of the time.

Reason I asked is because I heard that they are in the works of backhaul etc in NYC. I though it was suppose to be complete by now?

I tested a VZW iPhone and have an ATT iPhone. No question VZW 3G data is able to access data more than my ATT iPhone but to be honest not significantly more. I didn't have the feeling like 'wow ATT stinks compared to VZW'. If I discovered that VZW was significantly better in accessing 3G data I would have made the switch in a heart beat.

What I did notice is the speed difference. Like I said VZW isn't significantly better and in my case the speed I really noticed. I like to steam audio and video and this is where I saw a difference. Also in apps I saw a difference. This difference to me was significant.

I would say I live in an area where ATT and VZW are a very close tie.

Fresh1

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2010
Maryland, USA
No I didn't do anything with the battery. Just normal use and after about 3-4 days of usage I noticed a huge change in battery life. Haven't changed any settings or anything either. Lot of people mentioned this with ATT iPhone last yr as well - it doesn't make sense but it seems battery takes a couple days to fully warm up.

Same here. My battery life is amazing. I can go about 3-4 days on a full charge before it hits 20% or less. I had the same battery scenario with my Droid. It just takes a few days to "get going."

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
My iPhone in ATT drops calls most of the time. I can say that 3 of every 5 of my calls drop. I'm really thinking in changing to Verizon.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I'm really happy with my iphone. The only negative i have comparing it to my blackberry. there is no LED light to let you know you have a message. if I step away from my phone, I have no idea i have an email. My push gmail which i use for work emails, works awesome. However dot mac/mobile me email isn't pushing through. I have to go into the app for it to register. (I think its a mobile me thing as my touch works fine.) I wish a preview would come up similar to facebook/AIM of new emails as well. Also to change SMS/emails sounds. It seems everyone at work as an iphone and we all look at our phone the same time when someone gets a message. Also would like more ringtones that don't suck.
On my way home from work. I wanted to order Cheesecake factory for take out. I didn't have the number so I used maps found the number and pressed the number and it dialed all within a few seconds! (while driving :rolleyes:)

JustLeft

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
My experience was the same as yours on GPS - very bad on the verizon ip4. Others however report it is much better on the vz ip4. Hardware issue on some of the phones perhaps?

I downloaded GPS-Status and it showed how the GPS was jumping all over even though it was stationary with a clear view to the sky.

had the opposite experience on data. Although vzw worked well in manhattan it was too slow when I travelled upstate. Also, the gps on the viphone was vastly inferior, so I switched back to att and will wait for viphone 5

bizfox

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
I'm really happy with my iphone. The only negative i have comparing it to my blackberry. there is no LED light to let you know you have a message. if I step away from my phone, I have no idea i have an email. My push gmail which i use for work emails, works awesome. However dot mac/mobile me email isn't pushing through. I have to go into the app for it to register. (I think its a mobile me thing as my touch works fine.) I wish a preview would come up similar to facebook/AIM of new emails as well. Also to change SMS/emails sounds. It seems everyone at work as an iphone and we all look at our phone the same time when someone gets a message. Also would like more ringtones that don't suck.
On my way home from work. I wanted to order Cheesecake factory for take out. I didn't have the number so I used maps found the number and pressed the number and it dialed all within a few seconds! (while driving :rolleyes:)

You can try the PushMail app for previews of new email (I think it also gives you an option for a customized tone from within the app). This works great for both stock and jailbroken iPhones. If you don't mind JBing, LockInfo serves as a great replacement for notifications (and you can customize your SMS ring as well).

SlamJam12

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
The Verizon iPhone is my first smartphone. It is a great phone. My experience and expectations of future phones will never be anything less than a smartphone.

dumb terminal

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego, CA

Hmm, I never had a problem with data upstate last week when I went to visit my fiances mother outside Buffalo.

Granted, it wasn't as fast as being in the city, but it still enabled me to download e-mail, browse the net, etc.

I'm waiting for LTE too, but I can live with the iP4 for now. Prior to this, I had a circa-2005 Motorola Razr that was on its last legs, so I basically needed a new phone.

Last edited:

Wateroksnmud

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
I've always wondered, for the people who switched, does it take time to get used to not having data + talk at the same time? Personally, I use it ALL the time, on almost every phone call. So, I guess my question is, is it easy to get used to that feature not being there?

I think it's something that was pretty easy to get used to. It's not as important as people make it. I switched over in Oct in anticipation and being sick of droppping phone calls. I'm now with the ViPhone and am much happier. People that needs something like a location, an email, or whatever, you can simply forward them the information. It doesnt have to be read to them, but I guess it also depends on what your using data for while you're talking?

I was on the phone the other day and though Navigon would lose signal due to no data, but it didnt. Not sure what exactly it uses to read the location from the towers but it still knew exactly where I was.

Wateroksnmud

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008

What GPS app are you using?

Wateroksnmud

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
I returned two Verizon ip4's because of horrible data (6 kbs) speeds and GPS that was unusuable - jumping to 200 Meters away when standing still with a clear view to the sky. I think I had a defective phone, but Verizon would not exchange. Their recommendation was to subscribe to Verizon Navigator.

This is why i buy from apple.

Rodvette

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
I am very pleased with my iphone after 2 weeks of usage. The OS runs very smooth without a hiccup. Browsing is a whole lot better on this phone then my droid which could get choppy and would only be reliable if connected to Wifi. The battery life is amazing! I can go a day and a half without a charge (my droid would only last me half a day). And the apps are cool...oh and yes, I can make phone calls :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.