After owning the Ipad3 for 3 months....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nychot, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I am not thrilled. Other than the higher quality of the camera, i see more downsides than upsides compared to the two Ipad2s that I owned and an Ipad1 that doesn't really count. While I still had my Ipad2, my wife, who had had an Ipad2, was the first to get the NEW iPad. Comparing my 2 to her 3 i saw the retina screen difference and loved the camera. But now that i've been using my Ipad3 on a daily basis I'm not thrilled. I really don't see the retina screen making much of a difference at all on my eyes. The battery definitely needs more charging than my ipad2. Apps take up more space. Oddly, I have some crashes of apps that never happened before. and streaming online movies that never buffered before on my ipad2 constantly buffer on my ipad3. I bought the 16gb with verizon 4g that I haven't even set up yet because I rarely travel with the iPad. I wanted the 4g just for emergency purposes if there was a power failure etc. So bottom-line, the only thing thats keeping me from selling the ipad3 and buying an ipad2 is the camera. I use it a lot.

2. Indy2424 macrumors member

I plan on getting an iPad in the next week. I am so torn between both. I love the look of the retina screen but doubt I would use the camera that much. The thing that concerns me the most is that I am a heavy user and the long charging times would affect how much I am able to use it.

3. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

just charge it overnight. my point was that it definitely needs more charging than the two. more charging in terms of the amount of time to charge and the number of times you have to charge it. I could go a week with my ipad2 with daily use. now i have to charge at least once every two days or so.

4. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

Going back to the iPad 2 after using the Retina screen for a while makes a massive difference imo. Could never go back for that reason alone.

5. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Agreed.

While the new iPad is my first ever iPad, I have been using the Retina display due to owning the iPhone 4 from day one and upgrading from an iPhone 3G.

Even looking at friend's iPad 2's, I could see the lower pixel density due to being so used to my iPhone 4's razor sharp display.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The new iPad isn't perfect, but the retina screen has made a huge difference to me. I tried to use my original iPad for reading, and found the slightly blurry text meant I could only read for about 45 minutes at a time. The sharper text of the iPad reduces my long term eye strain to the point where I can do academic reading for about 1.5 hours at a time. I immediately noticed the difference in display quality when I first turned on my new iPad and I could never go back even though you are right about the battery. Next year I hope Apple will be able to use more power efficient components. As much as I enjoy my unit I might just break my two year upgrade tradition and get a new one in 2013.

7. Enlightenment1 macrumors regular

If you charge over night you will be fine. I get a day and a half of battery out of mine and I would class myself as a heavy user (sound like a drug addict) lol.

8. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I am not thrilled either for much the same reasons and I bought the iPad 3 at launch so I've been living with it about 3 months. I owned both iPad 1 and 2 as well. I can honestly say this is the first Apple product I have ever owned that I'm not completely thrilled with. I have a pink screen, it runs warm, has lower battery life, and takes forever (6+ hours!) to charge. Retina display is okay but not a game-changer as it was on the iPhone. I read all the time on it and for whatever reasons I'm not seeing this vast improvement in legibility and readability that others describe. Camera is better but impractical (awkward) to use on a large tablet so I just use my 4s for taking photos. Verizon LTE is wicked fast, I will say that is a major improvement. If I had it to do again, I would have held onto my iPad 2 with its long battery life and bright, beautiful screen and waited for iPad 4.

9. tl01 macrumors 65816

I guess I have a totally different experience with my iPad 3 and my two iPad 2's. I much prefer my retina display over the iPad 2 screen. Right now I'm typing this on my kids iPad 2 and I totally see a difference. As far as the battery goes, as long as it gets you through the day... What difference does it make if it takes longer to charge... Charge while sleeping and you'll never notice a difference.

Perhaps some of your apps issues could be remedied by a restore and set up as a new device. That stuff happens with all devices at some point and may not be an issue of the new iPad per se. If the issues continue, then take into the genius bar. All three of my iPads are working beautifully. I have Verizon LTE on my new one and love it. If the iPad 3 has a camera you prefer that makes you want to keep it... Then I'd troubleshoot the issues and stop worrying about the fact the your aren't overwhelmed by the display and that you haven't needs LTE yet. Clearly you could see the display before the 2 week return window was up and it was your choice to buy the LTE model... Just enjoy.

10. klover macrumors 6502a

There are definitely compromises you have to accept with the new iPad.

I've seen about a dozen of the new iPads and every one of them had distracting color tinting on all or part of the screen. In fact, the ones with tint on just a section were worse as it was very noticeable. Reading a document from left to right would go from yellow to blue, yellow to white, green to yellow, etc.

Color uniformity is a big issue since it's so distracting if its not reasonably accurate. This is pretty evident by the numerous threads about this very issue.

I recently travelled out of county and opted to take my old first-generation iPad after regularly using my iPad 3. At first, the lower resolution was quite apparent but, like humans do, I adapted within a few hours. Contrast on my first-gen is also noticeably better than the new iPad and color is top-notch. By the end of the trip I was happy with the slower but still reliable performance of a 2-year old model.

11. Rodster macrumors 68040

My iPad 3 fortunately doesn't have those issues.

12. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

I would agree, I'm not too impressed.
    With iPad too I could go a week easy and would charge in no time, with New I feel like all I do is charging it, but I don't use it as much (comparing it to 2).
    I'll be selling my as I'm planing on getting MacBoor Air, other wise I would just get refurb. iPad2 again.

Really fist time that I'm kind of regretting my purchase.

13. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

BTW, I've measured the cycle counts of iPad batteries. The new iPad 3 chews thru the battery really fast - I'm already at cycle 60 (after 9 weeks of using the device), while my equally-often used iPad 2, exactly one year older, is only at 160.

That is, iPad 3 users end up having to purchase a new battery every, say, year.

14. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

I know you have been thru a couple of iPads or so and had the exact issue you had with the pink screen and how warm it got. If I used mine plugged in it would get very hot . You are most likely getting bad color shifting with the pink screen meaning if you angle the iPad ever so slightly you probably get a much pinker screen on a white background. I took mine to the apple store and they told me it had color shifting, now do you want to take a chance and get a non uniformed screen would be a gamble. We just shouldn't have to gamble on a new product but that's life in the apple world.

15. doboy macrumors 68000

Main thing that bothers me about the new iPad is watching non-HD videos on it. They look crappy. :p
    I also notice shorter battery life compared to the previous models, but will gladly accept the sacrifice for retina.

16. rahul247rocks macrumors member

rahul247rocks

Dude the new iPad is simply awesome. Even if you play Infinity Blade 2 for 8 hours still there will be battery left. The best thing about the iPad is the screen. Go for it and you will not regret. If you are a gamer then the new iPad provides some of the best graphics. It is faster and the weight hardly feels different until you have an iPad 2 on your other hand. The screen is enough...after all for a tablet it is the display that makes all the difference. I have been using the iPad for over 2 months now and i think the screen is something out of the world. No other tablet on earth can match the new iPad.

17. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

i just sold my ipad 3 2 days ago, and i went back ti my ipad 2, and the new ipad its cool, but i dont miss it as much as i tought i would be. the ipad 2 still an amazing idevice. and sometimes seems a bit snappier than my new ipad. so either way its good

18. Fuzzy.Dunlop macrumors regular

The battery life is ridiculously bad, for e.g this morning downloaded the sunday times, read that for an hour then connected an apple wireless keyboard to do some work for 2hrs and the battery was at 20%

the screen is magnificent though, even makes looking at my macpro painful

19. Enlightenment1 macrumors regular

That is NOT right! iPad 3 battery should be lasting a lot longer than that. Fair enough, it's not as good as the iPad 2 but the battery is bigger because of the retina screen. Taking this into account, it should still be lasting a lot longer than a couple of hours. Is that all it lasted after downloading 1 newspaper and 2 hours of work with a keyboard?

Sounds like it's faulty. I would take it in and see what the so-called 'genius' has to say.

Saying this, screen brightness is a real battery killer on the iPad 3. What do you have it set to?
    I have mine set half way and the screen is plenty bright enough. However, my last iPad 3 was well too dark set at half way and needed turning up to 75% to be any use. Seems screen brightness is also hit or miss with the new iPad, and this is a real bummer because having to turn it up past 60% really drains the battery. It's quite remarkable what turning it to half way can do for the battery.

Still, that doesn't sound right at all. Take it back if you can.

20. Fuzzy.Dunlop macrumors regular

Brightness is set to full. I only bought it Wednesday last week and the battery goes down rapidly with minimal video usage its been charged overnight then mid afternoon to get me through the rest of the day

I bought it from square (see thread above about returns) in Selfridges and the list of limitations for returns on the receipt was ridiculous (and illegal)

It's a week 20 build

21. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

BTW, I've measured the power usage of backlighting. When set at 50%, it's around 950 mA. When maxxed out (both with auto brightness off), the power usage doubled(!).

These power usage values are slightly more than double of those of the iPad 2 driven at equal brightness levels.

22. NatefromRI macrumors newbie

How did you manage to measure the cycle counts of the iPad batteries? Is there an app for that? I'd love to know what mine is. Thanks for any input you can provide.

--Nate

23. Enlightenment1 macrumors regular

If you're jailbroken, download an app called BatteryInfoLite. It gives you all the battery info you need, including the cycle count.
    If not, there's really no well to tell, I don't think.

24. tl01 macrumors 65816

With brightness set that high you will chew through the battery of any iDevice. I'd try it closer to 50-60. That's where I've used it and my battery usage is great. I think it ships with the brightness just under 50%.

25. Enlightenment1 macrumors regular

That's where your problem lies my friend. No fault here.

If I set the brightness to 100% on mine, it would do the same thing. Really the iPad 3 is not meant to be used at 100% brightness IMO. Not to mention, you will burn you retinas (yes, your retinas, not the retina display) though that may take a good hit too lol. Is it not just a tad too bright all that way up? How does it look at 50-60?
    I would really try and turn it down, otherwise this is the problem you are going to face. If the screen is too dark at 50-60%, I would go and speak with a 'genius' and see what they say.