Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I am not thrilled either for much the same reasons and I bought the iPad 3 at launch so I've been living with it about 3 months. I owned both iPad 1 and 2 as well. I can honestly say this is the first Apple product I have ever owned that I'm not completely thrilled with. I have a pink screen, it runs warm, has lower battery life, and takes forever (6+ hours!) to charge. Retina display is okay but not a game-changer as it was on the iPhone. I read all the time on it and for whatever reasons I'm not seeing this vast improvement in legibility and readability that others describe. Camera is better but impractical (awkward) to use on a large tablet so I just use my 4s for taking photos. Verizon LTE is wicked fast, I will say that is a major improvement. If I had it to do again, I would have held onto my iPad 2 with its long battery life and bright, beautiful screen and waited for iPad 4.

Most of your "reasons" sound more like excuses.

* The iPad 3 does get warm, but not hot. And it is far cooler than my netbook, and has been tested and proven not to be any hotter than most comparable tablets.

* Did you really expect the Retina display to jump out at you every day? You get used to it as the norm. Try going back to an older iPad and then see if the Retina doesn't make as much difference. Until you try that, you can't really judge the impact of the Retina.

* I could use my old iPad all day on one charge. I can use the new iPad all day on one charge. I've seen no signs whatsoever of a decrease in battery life, so I'm rather doubtful that that is a common issue.

None of your points seem like anything more than the whinings of someone who really didn't need an iPad.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC

* The iPad 3 does get warm, but not hot. And it is far cooler than my netbook, and has been tested and proven not to be any hotter than most comparable tablets.

* Did you really expect the Retina display to jump out at you every day? You get used to it as the norm. Try going back to an older iPad and then see if the Retina doesn't make as much difference. Until you try that, you can't really judge the impact of the Retina.

* I could use my old iPad all day on one charge. I can use the new iPad all day on one charge. I've seen no signs whatsoever of a decrease in battery life, so I'm rather doubtful that that is a common issue.

None of your points seem like anything more than the whinings of someone who really didn't need an iPad.

What "excuses" do you see in my post? I've used an iPad steadily for over two years - who are you to say whether or not I "need" an iPad?

Apple fans who berate other Apple fans for being honest about product issues need to get a life.:confused:

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
While I agree that the updates weren't as great as they were hyped up to be, I don't understand how you can't tell the dramatic difference in text with the Retina display vs the lower resolution of the iPad 2. I have poor eyes and I can definitely see the difference.

The biggest complaint I have with this generation is the lack of any sort of processor improvement, instead of making the iPad 3's graphics processor any better of a performer of the iPad 2, they just updated it to match the iPad 2 and support the Retina display.

The battery doesn't get hot, it gets warm. I don't even see what the problem is with this heat issue, it doesn't get hot enough to burn your hands or make it uncomfortable to hold.

Charging, well that can be done overnight and the only way it is taking 6 hrs to charge is because you've let it drain all the way before you charge it again. I can get down to about 50%, plug it in and it'll be ready in about 3 hrs.

Battery performance is about the same as the iPad 2 for me, it sounds like yours is defective.

iOS 6 is likely to bring some exclusive features to the 3rd gen that may make the product of more value over the previous generation(s).

Bottomline, the 3rd generation is a GREAT update from the 1st generation but its a "eh" update from the 2nd generation. I love my 3rd gen and the screen is impressive every time I turn it on, especially with text.

ManUMark

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
''I'm not thrilled'' this is because you are an addict and the high you got from the purchase has worn off and you are left with 'another' iPad that does the same as the 2 but faster and with a better screen.
Do some research in status anxiety, perpetual debt as a self imposed slavery and social conditioning/engineering.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
''I'm not thrilled'' this is because you are an addict and the high you got from the purchase has worn off and you are left with 'another' iPad that does the same as the 2 but faster and with a better screen.
Do some research in status anxiety, perpetual debt as a self imposed slavery and social conditioning/engineering.

Okay, "thrilled" or "not thrilled" are probably overly strong words. Perhaps "somewhat disappointed in comparison with other Apple product upgrades over the years" is a better description.

And no, I'm not an addict or in debt. I would never buy an iPad I couldn't easily pay for in cash (but I'm not saying this to judge anyone else's purchasing or financing decisions). For me, an iPad is a useful and wonderful toy (luxury) that's great for internet, email, and media consumption but is not a necessity like a laptop or cell phone. I have a whole family of people who love to receive my gifted iPads or iPhones when I upgrade and couldn't otherwise afford to buy one. So yes, it's a luxury but I can afford it.

As for the warmth thing, I have to run my iPad 3 at 75-80% to have a nice bright screen. I talked to them about it at the Apple store and they said this was intentional in the new iPad so that it runs dimmer at minimum brightness for reading in a dark room. So this isn't a defect but for me it means I have to run mine at 75-80% to have a nice bright (not dim) screen and this results in lower battery life and some heat. It doesn't bother me because I use a folio case but my iPads 1 and 2 never got warm at all. Others' experiences are totally different and that's completely fine with me.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i use my iPad 2 non-stop all day at work and have ~10% battery life left when i leave the office. then i turn the iPad off and plug it into a 2A car charger for my 1hr commute home. by the time i get home it's nearly at 100% which is great because then i use it to stream the news while i eat dinner.

but i don't have retina...

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Unless you have money to burn. Performance wise for 90% of people there is really no difference in day to day tasks like web surfing and emailing and video between iPad 2 and new iPad.

I own both models (and had iPad 1 also).

Camera is no big deal since its the same exact camera as in iPhone 4 (most people who have iPads already have at least and iPhone 4 (or better iPhone 4s camera) or Android cameras. So cameras on tablets are not that useful.

I upgraded to new Verizon LTE iPad cause I have unlimited LTE data (use my LTE micro sim from Verizon phone). And I am out eating with a 23 month old that I need fast reliable data to entertain the kid.

NatefromRI

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
If you're jailbroken, download an app called BatteryInfoLite. It gives you all the battery info you need, including the cycle count.
If not, there's really no well to tell, I don't think.

Thanks! Worked like a charm. I'm at 94 currently. Seems lower than I would have expected, but I usually charge it every night whether or not it's at 40% or 85%.

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
The new iPad is my first iPad. I think it is great. No issues that I am aware of. However, after living with it for 2* months, meh.

Display is great and a big improvement over my daughter's iPad2. Like the LTE capability, but the monthly thing wouldn't activate for me. I am on my third sim card and have to be on a monthly plan, not a pay as you go plan.

The wifi reception could be better in my house. I can sit on the couch and use wifi with my macbook pro and iPhone 4S, but not my iPad.

I have come to the conclusion that I don't need the iPad. It is convenient to do banking, until I have to add a payee. Then it is back to the macbook pro. I am on the fence as to keeping it.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The new iPad is my first iPad. I think it is great. No issues that I am aware of. However, after living with it for 2* months, meh.

Display is great and a big improvement over my daughter's iPad2. Like the LTE capability, but the monthly thing wouldn't activate for me. I am on my third sim card and have to be on a monthly plan, not a pay as you go plan.

The wifi reception could be better in my house. I can sit on the couch and use wifi with my macbook pro and iPhone 4S, but not my iPad.

I have come to the conclusion that I don't need the iPad. It is convenient to do banking, until I have to add a payee. Then it is back to the macbook pro. I am on the fence as to keeping it.
All good points but the iPad and Tablets in general regardless of who makes it are essentially consumption devices and are not really designed to replace a laptop. I own several Tablets and they are wonderful for what they are designed to do.

I can go to McDonald's or anywhere with WiFi access and surf the web, check email, read, stream Live video feeds, etc. Laptops are too clumsy for that IMO. So both fit a need and purpose.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Longtime iPad user, I went back to the 2 after getting the 3, for me a used 2 at half the price was well worth it.
But now with ios 6, Siri on 3 only, and no 6 support at all for ipad1, iPad 3 is looking better. We'll see.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Longtime iPad user, I went back to the 2 after getting the 3, for me a used 2 at half the price was well worth it.
But now with ios 6, Siri on 3 only, and no 6 support at all for ipad1, iPad 3 is looking better. We'll see.
If you have an iPad 2 and are happy with it, wait for the 4, both the 2 and 3 are similar in performance. Ten months and counting, can you wait is the question. :D

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
I went from my iPad first gen to the new iPad and I noticed a huge difference, the screen however isn't a huge selling point. You would have to watch movies or do a lot of things to really notice the difference. Plus, i've read an article that they are getting so sharp that sooner or later the naked eye can't even notice the difference.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I use my iPad 3gen several hours every day, and usually only charge it every other night. It never runs hot (and hardly ever runs warm). I hardly ever use the camera, but the retina screen has made my upgrade very worth while. I was on the fence for a long time as I had only bought my iPad2 about five months before the launch of the 3gen, but as I read tons of material on it every day it has been worth every penny.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
...Plus, i've read an article that they are getting so sharp that sooner or later the naked eye can't even notice the difference.

What does that have to do with the iPad 3, though? I can't imagine anything higher than the 3 looking all that different clarity-wise, but there really is a huge difference between the 3 and the previous models. Interestingly, one of the first places I noticed it was coming to these boards on the iPad 3. The fonts were thinner and sharper and clearer. And you will notice on pages where the font is very small.

mcsenerd

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Irving, TX
I went from my iPad first gen to the new iPad and I noticed a huge difference, the screen however isn't a huge selling point. You would have to watch movies or do a lot of things to really notice the difference. Plus, i've read an article that they are getting so sharp that sooner or later the naked eye can't even notice the difference.

Believe me...the human eye can notice a difference between the new iPad and the iPad 2.

The screen is a huge selling point, I do photo editing on the new iPad that I wouldn't even dream of attempting on the original iPad or the iPad 2. I've had zero issues with my new iPad and I preordered it as soon as the opened the store after the announcement. I have no issues with the battery life, heat, screen quality or any of the other litany of issues bandied about by others here. I haven't personally met anyone that owns the new iPad who has any of those complaints in flesh and blood either. I'd buy another one for the rest of my family if my financial balances would support it...plus...even with all of these supposed death knell complaints...the market for the new iPad seems pretty healthy for both primary sales and secondary sales so these terrible issues much not be too bad...

skywalkerr69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2011
New York
Believe me...the human eye can notice a difference between the new iPad and the iPad 2.

The screen is a huge selling point, I do photo editing on the new iPad that I wouldn't even dream of attempting on the original iPad or the iPad 2. I've had zero issues with my new iPad and I preordered it as soon as the opened the store after the announcement. I have no issues with the battery life, heat, screen quality or any of the other litany of issues bandied about by others here. I haven't personally met anyone that owns the new iPad who has any of those complaints in flesh and blood either. I'd buy another one for the rest of my family if my financial balances would support it...plus...even with all of these supposed death knell complaints...the market for the new iPad seems pretty healthy for both primary sales and secondary sales so these terrible issues much not be too bad...

I meant as screens advance in technology you won't be able to tell.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
retina v weight

I personally would rather apple had reduced the weight and thickness of ipad 3 rather than introduce additional resolution. It boggles my mnd that anyone is interested in the ipad camera--but I'm not in marketing.

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
The new iPad isn't perfect, but the retina screen has made a huge difference to me. I tried to use my original iPad for reading, and found the slightly blurry text meant I could only read for about 45 minutes at a time. The sharper text of the iPad reduces my long term eye strain to the point where I can do academic reading for about 1.5 hours at a time.

I'm curios if the ones saying they prefer reading books on ipad retina - are using small fonts (like in a regular book). Are the fonts small in your ipad ?

I think the advantage with an ipad is you don't have to struggle with small fonts like a paper book.

I am used to reading with large or very large fonts (I don't have a vision problem, I just find it more comfortable that way) so it shouldn't matter so much in this case. And I read 10 hours or more at a time, when I start a book I like to finish it in one go if it's possible.

small fonts or even smaller should be sharper on the ipad retina :

large or huge fonts should be sharp on ipad 2 as well:

JoeShades

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
Williamstown, NJ
BTW, I've measured the cycle counts of iPad batteries. The new iPad 3 chews thru the battery really fast - I'm already at cycle 60 (after 9 weeks of using the device), while my equally-often used iPad 2, exactly one year older, is only at 160.

That is, iPad 3 users end up having to purchase a new battery every, say, year.

The battery can last for 1000 cycles at least so no you won't need a new battery every year

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
I went from the 1 to the 3 and have been beyond impressed. The only thing I notice is more frequent charging which is really a non issue for me anyway.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Coming from the iPad first generation to the new iPad felt like a huge upgrade to me. I don't notice any warmth at all. Of course I only have the wifi version, so perhaps there is a difference there. My first week with it, the battery seemed like it was going to be a problem for me since I use my iPad very heavily. And there are days the battery seems to run down quicker, but mostly its not been an issue for me.

To get more out of the battery, I keep bluetooth off when its not needed, and brightness turned down to 50%. Most days the battery last through the day. I sometimes top off the battery during the day when I'm not using it. Once all my cycles are gone I'll just get a new battery. Most everything needs maintenance or upkeep. I see the battery as just another one of those things. No biggie. Overall, I'm very happy with my new iPad.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Brightness is set to full. I only bought it Wednesday last week and the battery goes down rapidly with minimal video usage its been charged overnight then mid afternoon to get me through the rest of the day

I bought it from square (see thread above about returns) in Selfridges and the list of limitations for returns on the receipt was ridiculous (and illegal)

It's a week 20 build

But Apple covers it so talk to them.

----------

What "excuses" do you see in my post? I've used an iPad steadily for over two years - who are you to say whether or not I "need" an iPad?

Apple fans who berate other Apple fans for being honest about product issues need to get a life.:confused:

I agree! No one listens to TheWheelMan anyway.

----------

i use my iPad 2 non-stop all day at work and have ~10% battery life left when i leave the office. then i turn the iPad off and plug it into a 2A car charger for my 1hr commute home. by the time i get home it's nearly at 100% which is great because then i use it to stream the news while i eat dinner.

but i don't have retina...

Retina cannot have an effect on charging if it not on. There's a different battery in the iPad 3 which charges more slowly.

----------

I personally would rather apple had reduced the weight and thickness of ipad 3 rather than introduce additional resolution. It boggles my mnd that anyone is interested in the ipad camera--but I'm not in marketing.

I too want less weight and thinner but with the better display. Where are those fabric wafer thin displays?

----------

Coming from the iPad first generation to the new iPad felt like a huge upgrade to me. I don't notice any warmth at all. Of course I only have the wifi version, so perhaps there is a difference there. My first week with it, the battery seemed like it was going to be a problem for me since I use my iPad very heavily. And there are days the battery seems to run down quicker, but mostly its not been an issue for me.

To get more out of the battery, I keep bluetooth off when its not needed, and brightness turned down to 50%. Most days the battery last through the day. I sometimes top off the battery during the day when I'm not using it. Once all my cycles are gone I'll just get a new battery. Most everything needs maintenance or upkeep. I see the battery as just another one of those things. No biggie. Overall, I'm very happy with my new iPad.

Bluetooth is essentially off when not in use. Its the 50% that's making the difference.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012

All solid points. I think the weight difference "issue" is a joke as well. In my opinion, Most people that are upset went from iPad 2 to the 3rd gen.

Those complaining about battery life should turn down the brightness and google a few other ways to save on some battery throughout the day.

I charge it overnight when I go to bed just like you would any other device you use all day;) Even after streaming videos and sending tons of emails and using Skype for a couple hours my iPad never dies before hitting the charger.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I earn a substantial portion of my living staring at a monitor, it's all about the screen! I can use the new iPad for a huge number of my daily tasks without get headaches from eye strain. I'm very pleased so far with iPad 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.