After owning the iphone, what other phone comes in second place?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Jan 18, 2008.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

If you had to drop your iphone for another phone, what would it be?

2. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Nokia N95 the new one, or the LG touchscreen.

Or best, probably a Blackberry.

3. xappeal macrumors regular

I looked at heaps of phones (we don't have the iPhone in oz) and got a Treo 750 and the missing sync.

I have loved the phone, I mainly use it for email and to run apps (gradebook for school). It runs Windows Mobile V6 which I must admit being a Mac user leaves me feeling a little off.... but it has worked really well.

I tried the N95 and Blackberry, but I like 3G and 3rd party apps (the ones I need). Treo won, but I also bought a iPod touch just to be sure (...and got the $20 update...... LOVE the email app)

I'm going to jump all over the 3G iPhone if it ever gets here!

4. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

3G iphone is honestly going to be a market killer. If they allow lots of 3rd party apps, the iphone is going to be the only phone to buy.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Personally, I wound up with an O2 (HTC) XDA Orbit. WM6, built-in GPS, runs TomTom 6, houses lots of technical info I need for work and syncs perfectly with my Macs using MissingSync.

I looked at the iPhone, the N95, the Treo and the Blackberry models, and none really offered quite as good an overall balance of compactness vs. features I needed as the XDA.

I'm hoping that by the time I'm due for an upgrade, the iPhone will offer a few more 'business-class' features

6. jhero macrumors 6502

jhero

imo, i'd take the BB 8120/8130 on top of the iphone

7. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

I think that a 3G iPhone will just be proper amazing!

One of the main downfalls with the current iPhone is how slow the internet can be! But if it were to have 3G... It would actually immense!!! x

8. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

Thats a really scary thought nothing out there even compares to the iPhone. If for some reason I had to do without my iPhone to me the closest second would be a small laptop Mabey Macbook Air.

9. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

no iphone then ipod touch - just do without the phone part
    :D

or

[​IMG]

10. xappeal macrumors regular

86.jpg

Depending how many dogs live on your block..... this might be fun....

11. Project macrumors 68020

Its funny, cos my mate was saying to me the other day "i'm going to buy the LG Viewty today... its got a 5mpx camera, HSDPA, touch screen etc etc". And I felt like saying, "there are other phones out there?" I couldn't care less...

I used to have a pretty strong interest in the mobile market. Always read the reviews on GSM Arena, Mobile-Review and whatnot. But that interest is just dead now. Its solely about Apple filling in the gaps. As a Mac user and general consumer, its light years ahead. Come 6 months with lots of apps via the SDK, an easy way of getting them through iTunes, 3.5G and a better camera, its over.

Its going to be a lot harder for the other cell companies to get the UI/UX (syncing media, enjoying media, multitouch, app quality etc) and OS right (networking, scalability, developer tools) than it is for Apple to add in a 3G radio and higher quality camera. The hard work was done by implementing an embedded OSX and gesture based interface. I look at my old 3G, Symbian based N-series Nokia in disgust.

I await their clones.

12. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

+1

(You dont happen to be my identical twin by any chance. Or are you:eek::eek:)

13. Sean9689 macrumors member

The 2nd best phone I ever owned was right before the iPhone, the Nokia N95. Besides the stellar camera on the N95 (5mp, auto focus, great zoom, etc), the iPhone destroys the N95 in just about every single category. I am always on the lookout for the next big thing, but since I purchased the iPhone, I haven't found a better phone.

14. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

wait, you mean there is such a thing as other phones, hmmmm

15. Amblinman macrumors regular

Blackberry Curve, which quite frankly is a better all around smartphone than the iPhone.

(I'm not looking to pick a fight, I love my iPhone. But anyone who has ever had experience with smartphones will always hold a special place in their heart for RIM's stuff.)

16. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

The Softbank 911T/920T and the N95 8GB compare spec wise

the phones I would try:

Softbank 920T
    Softbank 920SC
    Nokia N73

iPhone

Attached Files:

17. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

The newly announced Nokia N96 looks really nice, but I know it won't be as simple to use as my iPhone.

18. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

LOL i dont know if i would say the N95 comes in 2nd to the iphone... and that Voyager is just a regular phone, with a really bad punch screen.

19. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I had a cheap Samsung flip phone that worked as a basic phone, had good call quality, and lasted through 3 years of my beating, dropping, and drowning without ever moaning. No fancy web browsing, music playback, shiny interface, or 10000 megapixel digital camera, but I honestly kind of miss it.

I would have an iPhone right now, but the it just doesn't work well enough as a phone for me, ironic for a device first and foremost touted as a phone.

So instead a I have a Sprint Mogul for the next year until my contract is up, then I'll consider switching to AT&T if they can manage to roll out their 3G services in my part of the country, and pick up a Sony XPERIA X1, which looks very promising.

20. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I like the N96 aswell.

To be honest I would not call iPhone a smartphone at all, so after using it I think it is just a very very highend normal phone...sorta like to the 920T :p

21. servo-15 macrumors newbie

Functionwise, the N95.

Stylewise, the Porsche P'9521, see here

Attached Files:

22. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Really, the answer is that there isn't one. Maybe the Prada for its simplicity, but there is absolutely no comparison. The bulky plastic Nokia N-series hold no interest for me.