After the 5s then there was 7+ and S8+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phrehdd, May 24, 2017.

1. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I am looking at getting a new phone and if I remain with Apple, it would be the 7+ and if I move over to Android, it would be the Samsung Galaxy S8+.

Anyone here have some experience with Android and in particular, the Samsungs? I welcome both pro and those that remain with iPhone.

My first take after handling both -

Apple remains firm on being pathetic with customizing for poorer vision. I get tired of having to put on my glasses to look at the screen while the S8+ does have reasonable features that allow for basic improvement for us folks with poorer eye sight.

Apple's loss of the audio jack is disturbing though I can put an adapter on to use my 2 different headphones. S8+ has the audio jack as before and also USB charging (a plus).

Apple's music and audiobook handling remains okay. Android offers a different take and I would have to get used to it.

Screen - both seem quite usable with the S8+ being more capable (higher resolution). This is not a point of consideration for me as I like what the iPhone offers though it rates less than the S8+.

The 32/128 BS from Apple is a bit nerving. I like the 64 basic with the S8+ that lets me add a card for expansion. 64 is ideal for me.

So, anyone have any thoughts here...experiences to share ??? Did you leave Android for Apple or visa versa or....??

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sounds like you favor the S8 . . . you just will not be able to read the screen.

Apple phones do not make everyone happy, it is YOU that has to choose.

3. phrehdd thread starter macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I mentioned things that were the most obvious. Often we miss the more nuanced facets such as day to day handling, how well the phones do in pockets and items like that. I was hoping to get folks to offer up their experiences here. Admittedly, I don't like the idea stepping out to Android but it does have some things I would welcome.

4. bufffilm, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Some of the Apple shortcomings - the 3.5mm jack, the 32gb base storage, etc - are real, but are they enough to justify switching?

Only you can decide that.

Are you ok with the loss of iMessage for starters?

5. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I'm not getting OPs complaint about lack of options on iPhone for people with poor eyesight. Apple let's you zoom the whole display (on 4.7"/5.5" models), adjust the size of on screen text and make it bold, and offers a whole host of additional options in the Accessibility areas of Settings (including additional zoom and magnification options, button shapes, increase contrast, etc.). Seems to me there are a ton of options.

6. uscgrad macrumors member

The S8 is better than the iPhone 7 for numerous reasons but I still wouldn't favor the switch to Android. For many Apple fans I don't think it matters how all singing and dancing a Samsung / Google / Sony phone is - it's Android - and as it's out of the ecosystem it's out of the question.

7. Geeky Chimp macrumors member

I tried the Apple to Samsung switch, albeit several years ago now. I moved from an iPhone 3G to a Samsung Galaxy. A few months later I went running back to Apple and an iPhone 4S. The lack of available Apps at the time was a big issue for me, though I believe this may be better now. For the zoom issue, the Accessibility options to change text size should make everything more readable for you. I couldn't go from iMessage & SMS to SMS only now, but that is a choice for you.

8. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

Iphone is a premium brand from apple, the removal of the earphone jack is not a big deal, I see more users are now into wireless earphones (Bluetooth), with this the jack isn't needed urgently. And the adapter will serve to be used for your round jack earphones. I enjoy using Bluetooth earphones, no messy cables tangling, more freedom moving around and a whole more cool too. So for me no jack is no problem.

9. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

be for you get the samsung S8 i would read up on reports of issues the phone may have some user have been reporting random reboots and issues has well

10. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

when
    i checked out the S8 and plus at Best Buy I was stunned by the amount of silly apps on the phone. Don't know how many can be removed. Many seem tailored for a 14 year old, odd for such an expensive phone.

11. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Before you analyze the hardware differences, you should first ask yourself this - can I stand the migration from iOS to Android? Are all the apps that I use routinely available in android?

12. Devyn89 macrumors regular

Devyn89

I had the Galaxy S8 for a few weeks and I quite liked it but I just couldn't get used to Andriod (or at least Samsungs take on it). I did love some things like the customization, and the screen to body ratio is leaps ands bounds better than the 7+, I mean the regular S8 has a bigger screen than the iphone 7+.

All that said I found I like iOS more than Android, it's easier to use (though I admit that's at least in part because I have 9 years of experience with iOS and almost none with Android). I also love iMessage, and the iphone ergonomically feels better to me (though again likely because I'm more used to it). In the end I decided that although the S8 has some pretty amazing features it wasn't worth the headache of switching platforms. I think if you're sure you want to switch and know why it's worth it but I wanted to switch because I was getting bored with iOS and in the end that proved, for me at least to be a bad reason.

13. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I'm not disparaging against Samsung/Android . But this has been the complaint for many years that they use so many offloaded, generic, unuseful applications that are integrated into Phone, it's borderline ridiculous. It's one reason for me, that I would not transition to Android because of this.

For me, I have very few applications that I actually download unless they're completely useful that can advantage me. And I like the fact that Apple Allows you to at least temporarily "Delete" applications that are not useful to me off of the iPhone, which provides a much interface and less clutter. It looks more professional and streamlined what you're looking for more efficiently and quickly.

14. phrehdd thread starter macrumors 68040

phrehdd

While expressing my opinion below, please don't take it as being an attack of any sort. It isn't. I just don't fully agree with your comment.

BT is great for phone calls and low end quality music. If you like to walk with some middle of the road pedestrian head sets like my Senn's Momentum (wired - on and over ear models) BT cannot compete with CD quality music. I find Apple pulling another gimmick in telling us we don't need 3.5 jacks. This is ******** when they force us to work around and stick an idiotic "adapter" of any sort on the iPhone for a universal feature. In my household, I have 3 different headsets that work well with 3.5 jacks and an older iPhone. I also like the idea I can charge my phone while playing music from the 3.5 jack. I don't want a "stub" section added to a future phone just to get a feature that has been around forever and a day (for a reason).

As for cool, we have a different idea. I think "cool" is finding the best of class lightweight headsets that produce excellent sound or good sounding middle cost set of cans. I've never had a problem with cables. Perhaps the BT beyond Apple will be a bit better with the latest implementation of apt-X.

15. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

i dont understand why people complain about 3.5mm headphone jack. I havent used that thing in years. I use my Bluetooth Beats and Airpods. in the end people will find a way to complain.

16. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

Like I said in my comment, each man has its own liking, for me the 3.5 jack isn't as urgent, while others like to hv it charged n listen to music at the same time, I don't, bcs i like to roam free around the room or else where. I tried a few BT sets and sounds incredible, I know some of you had invested in expensive earphones before the 3.5 was eliminated but still can be used with the adapter provided. Cheers to all

17. bufffilm, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

You don't, but some people do really use the headphone jack.

My sister is one of those. She says she likes to have the hands free, whether to take notes, or to multi-task.

Of course, there's the adapter but no way to use the 3.5mm jack and charge the phone unless you use the awful Belkin plug.

For me, I use the jack on occasion...I just refuse to be saddled with another device that needs to be charged more than anything else.

Plus, I like to top off the battery always so I'm plugged in the great majority of the time. So the inability to use the 3.5" dongle and charge the phone matters to me also, just to a lesser degree.

We both have the 6s and plan to stay with it for years.

If Verizon hadn't ended the subsided phones earlier this year, I might even have bought an extra 6s when I was up for renewal.

18. Skika macrumors 68030

19. Geert76, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017

Geert76 macrumors 65816

dont forget to mention the reports all over the interwebs of yellow-ish screen short after the release of the iPhone 7 ;)
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2017 ---
    While I agree the most part of it, iOS is quite borring and stale (same same) for the last 3 years.
    I disabled/deleted those childish apps out of the box, took me 9 seconds and I was done. I will never see them again on my S8 (yeah okay, in case of a full restore ;) )

20. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68020

MuGeN PoWeR

it totally depends on the people. My wife sometimes used the wired headphones but when i got Airpods for her she stopped using the wired ones. I am sure this thing will be catered as there are rumors of wireless charging coming up in the new iPhone
    yeah each man has their own taste!

21. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

It seems like you already made up your mind. Go with your gut and enjoy your choice.
    I didn't understand that either. I always felt Apple had plenty of options in this regard.

22. phrehdd thread starter macrumors 68040

phrehdd

How about something as simple as doing what Android phones have done and do - allow (as example) to adjust the front icon screen by matrix size. One would get the option to select 3x4, 4x5 and 4x6 etc. This is far easier to do and achieves the exact result one may be looking for (and see immediately). Similar can be said with customizing other submenus and screens related to various typical applications. This one change fits all (IOS apps) doesn't work all that well. Everything Apple offers is a "workaround" rather than a solution via true customization.

23. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Sounds like you have had your answer since the beginning of the thread then. Android is a much better platform for you.

24. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

How does changing the layout of the home screen icon grid help with poor eyesight? Seems like adjusting the size of text and other UI elements would have much more of an impact...

I agree with @DNichter though. Sounds like what you're really after is full customization. Apple is never going to give you that so Android is the only other option.

25. phrehdd thread starter macrumors 68040

phrehdd

If there are less icons on the screen (along with text) then the icons can be larger along with the text. Some sub menus have the tiniest of fonts and this too should be properly addressed. Some of us will be happy to have a bit less on the screen if it is legible and well done.