Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coffeeplease

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2019
Any conclusive indicators on what causes this issue? Is it only affecting monitors running DisplayPort 1.4 and support HDR?

maximlos

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
The problem is simple, after updating to BIG SUR 11.1, Apple programmers "broke" something and since then BIG SUR no longer recognizes external 4k monitors via direct ThunderBolt 3 connection!

Here is the example image (taken from the Apple discussion forum), since then a slow agony with consequent productivity problems towards professionals who are no longer able to work as before.

bigsur-issue-monitor.jpeg

This causes problems of incorrect resolution, completely wrong monitor size and frequency always at 30hz. Practically the monitors are UNUSABLE!

An absolute shame from Apple, perhaps the most serious bug in history that is not taken seriously.

This is the classic and real "gate", bigsurmonitorgate.

All the sites and blogs have talked about it, but Apple still doesn't care today and even the big sur 11.3 beta has not been solved!

THERE ARE NO WORDS!

Last edited:

EvilCo_E

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2020
I have a similar issue with a 1440p 170hz w/HDR screen (Gigabyte M27Q) where the refresh rate won't go above 1440p 120hz, and sometimes even 120hz doesn't work without a restart. Using a 2020 iMac with 5700xt. I'm on Big Sur 11.2, and haven't had the monitor before 11.2 so I don't know if it works on Catalina. The monitor works normally on every windows computer I own.

I connected it originally through a USB-C to Displayport cable, and now I'm using a USB-C to USB-C cable both have the same issue. I also tried a USB-C to HDMI cable too but that limits the resolution to 1080p 120hz.

keylight2021

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2021
I am also having this issue. Big Sur 11.2 MacBook Pro Late 2019 model, with a Benq sw271 4k 60hz monitor.

Will not recognize the 4k and defaults to 1080p mode. If I replug it a few times sometimes it will recognize. If I then turn the screen off / unplug / change anything, it will drop back into not recognizing properly.

Sometimes I can get it to stay consistently in 4k if I put the screen into 30 HZ mode.

Very frustrating. Has anyone tried rolling back to Catalina?

Reactions: Serenissimo

pwang017

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2021
I was having the same issue with my 2019 16" MacBook Pro and LG 4K monitor. After changing to a high speed USB-C to HDMI cable, 4K 60Hz works just fine, except I have to use an extra cable for charging.

I bought the cable from here:

DaveXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2020
I was having the same issue with my 2019 16" MacBook Pro and LG 4K monitor. After changing to a high speed USB-C to HDMI cable, 4K 60Hz works just fine, except I have to use an extra cable for charging.
With apples HDMI Adapter you can have everything on one port as well (charing, HDMI, usb-a hub). I'm just happy apple gave me this solution even if it is inacceptable that there is still no update.
I wrote an email to my ticked i had until they give me the apple adapter but no answer - nothing.

syngress

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2021
Poland Cracow
I'm just happy apple gave me this solution

Solution ?

They sold you equipment for several thousand dollars and the only thing they proposed for a hardware that does not work properly is to buy and connect an Apple adapter ?

This is a mockery !

I also wrote to them to give me 2 Apple AV adapters, I gave the shipping address, and informed them that I could not work on their 4K $ Macbook Pro 16 (which for many reasons has ceased to be pro). But no one wrote back to me, they don't give a s**t ..

Last edited:
Reactions: AAPLGeek

DaveXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2020
Solution ?

They sold you equipment for several thousand dollars and the only thing they proposed for a hardware that does not work properly is to buy and connect an Apple adapter ?
at least i got it for free from apple

Pixege

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2020
Guys, perhaps the latest beta of macOS 11.3 (build 20E5186d) has fixed the bug with the resolution of the external display. I restarted the MacBook Pro 16" several times. I turned it off and on after a while and it is .... ok! :) I even turned off the monitor itself. Nothing decreased resolution. I hope this is not spoiled to release the final version!

Screenshot 2021-02-19 at 22.30.00.png

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Holy-moly - I could finally dare to upgrade.

Just shows that all the execs are probably running around with iPads all day.

Things used to be different:

algore-triplemonitor.jpg

That bug would have been fixed ASAP back then!

iamWing0w0

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2021
London, England
Guys, perhaps the latest beta of macOS 11.3 (build 20E5186d) has fixed the bug with the resolution of the external display. I restarted the MacBook Pro 16" several times. I turned it off and on after a while and it is .... ok! :) I even turned off the monitor itself. Nothing decreased resolution. I hope this is not spoiled to release the final version!

View attachment 1732457
Hope they really have fixed this issue. I'm on 11.2.1 with my 16" MacBook and I just restarted my Mac serval times, even reset the SMC to get the port back on recognise there's an external monitor...

tommiy

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2015
I'll cross my fingers that this does fix it. This all started in Catalina so after nearly 15-18 months it would be great to see Apple fix this. My MBP got relegated to being on the bench due to all the issues with trying to get a reliable working mac in an office style environment. Mojave worked fine but I ended up having to move to windows for a daily driver. So if Apple have finally fixed all the display issues I may be able to return to using my MBP. I watch this thread hoping. It would be good to see some AGDCDiagnose results.

DaveXX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2020
I can confirm that it is improved with 11.3

First i got a black screen with usb-c, after next reboot i got 4K30, switched a little bit around with resolution and rebooted several times and after a while it seems to be stable with 4K60 and 10Bit.

So its still a bit buggy but no comparison to before....

Reactions: jasonli

Pixege

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2020
Please check if today's macOS 11.2.2 update fixes the problem with external displays. I have beta 11.3 installed and cannot check. Thanks!

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
I think the issue I'm facing is probably the same.
It starts to work under correct resolution when I disconnect and re-connect the USB-C several times.
This issue started with a recent update. Hope it will be fixed soon.

EvilCo_E

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2020
Please check if today's macOS 11.2.2 update fixes the problem with external displays. I have beta 11.3 installed and cannot check. Thanks!
It didn't fix it for me, I'm having the issues with a 1440p monitor not a 4k one though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.