Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kurrosh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Well, AoC did look awesome from adverts and just the idea of it was amazing, the reason it failed were: Lack of content and Glitches. Well, one year later a lot more content has been added; and more will. As for the glitches I've heard most of them have been addressed. Along with the server merge the game seems to thrive on some realms.
I've been reconsidering AoC for a while now, and just looking up the new tweaks they are added, in particular, if you reach level 50 you can make ANY character starting at level 50... That's something WAR, WoW and all the other games seem to be missing..

In 2009 Funcom have stated that player subscriptions have increased and they are stable.

--Anyone else re-considering AoC? The combat was very fun and I much preferred leveling in AoC to WoW (I haven't played WAR or any other MMO's so can't say for them, but I believe most people play/have played WoW if they are reading this ^^ ) -- the story line is deeper and the general quests make you want to do them, instead of boars harassing farms it's bandits harassing kingdoms.

So, I'm asking anyone else still play, going to try it out again, or considering it?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm not really reconsidering AOC. Is it primarily PVP? Last PVP game I played was Planetside for a long time which was excellent. But the thought of trying to do quests in a PVP environment does not appeal to me.

As far as:
instead of boars harassing farms it's bandits harassing kingdoms

it's not an accurate or fair summarization of WoW. :)

jakeguy99

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
I already reconsidered it, renewed my subscription, then quit again. As much as they say changed, nothing really has. There is still constant ganking in kesh because there is nothing else to do in end game etc...I wouldnt waste the money. Also I feel like the UI overall is trash. Your call. I vote not worth it :mad:

Kurrosh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
I'm not really reconsidering AOC. Is it primarily PVP? Last PVP game I played was Planetside for a long time which was excellent. But the thought of trying to do quests in a PVP environment does not appeal to me.

As far as:

it's not an accurate or fair summarization of WoW. :)

hehe, maybe not. But still, the general vibe of WoW quests were more or less that, like in STV the mastery quests etc. AoC does put you more into a warzone, at least in my opinion.

Tsubame

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
To be fair, the later quests in WoW are a LOT more epic seeming, starting from Burning Crusade and especially in Northrend.

Northrend really feels like a war is brewing against the Lich King (One of the starting towns there, as soon as you land your boat the town is under siege by troops that constantly are charging at it).

Vanilla WoW IS pretty bland though comparatively.

I've been curious to try AoC, if you do, come back and let us know how you like it. I've tried EVE, WoW, and WAR and I keep going back to WoW, but it's largely a lazy factor (I don't like rebooting into windows to play my games constantly unless it's just that good)

Kurrosh

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Well I am currently using a trial account to remind myself of it; but it is hard to judge because there were never many bugs in tortage and now there are even less. There are people however, during the day Tortage is not lifeless as it used to be and there are people running around, doing quests. If i do decide to restart it and pay for my old account, I'll let you know.
On a side not, I always preferred the idea of AoC, the world of AoC, and the gameplay of AoC to WoW, so I may be a little.. biased, but it's what I personally think. I recommend getting a trial account and see for yourself (and euhm.. it's 12gb I think the download so try and get disks off someone else, or let it download overnight for a few days :) ).

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
QFT.

The WotLK expansion was very well done and is so much better then vanilla WoW.

When WoW first arrived, I think it's safe to say most of us were new to MMORPGs. As represented by subscription trends, Blizzard has done an excellent job evolving with us. As others have have said there are several "instanced" events in Northrend, that non-partied players can find them selves fighting side by side with other real players. It really is good- a biased opinion. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.