Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordannv2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2016
California
Hello everybody, I'm new here, just decided to ask a quick question.

I'm currently a high school student, I usually use my current laptop for YouTube, light games (minecraft,LoL etc..), web browsing and school tasks (keynote, PowerPoint etc.) Portability doesn't bother me since my laptop is always at home.

But now I'm left with 2 choices.

the base model of the 13 inch with a magic keyboard 2 and a magic mouse 2.
or, the base model of 15 inch without accessories. (ofcourse I have my own mouse but Apple's magic mouse 2 is beautiful piece of technology)

So, Should I get the 13 inch with accessories or the 15 inch without? its really a simple question but I just need you guys' opinion on this.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
How large is the screen on your present model?

I was unhappy when they stopped producing 17" models so I tend to favour a larger screen. If you have a 13" now and are happy then either would be a good choice. If you have a 15" or larger, I think the 13" will feel a touch cramped.

As well, you didn't mention what specific models you were looking at as buying options as well as RAM desired.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
I used the 2008 13" Aluminum Macbook (non-Pro, but upgraded with an OWC SSD) for 6 years quite happily until a co-worker literally gave me her 2009 15" Macbook Pro. It had been dropped and wouldn't boot-up, she bought a new one and said if I could fix it I could have it. I fixed it. I then gave my 13" away (pay it forward right?).

Having used both the 13" and 15" from the same era, I strongly recommend the 15". Like you, portability is not a major concern for me as it stays home most of the time. The 15" screen really does give a lot more room to work versus the 13". Although it's nearing 8 years old, it still runs El Capitan beautifully (8GB RAM + 512GB SSD) and it's never once made me wish for anything newer/faster. But when it's time to replace, I'll be buying another 15". No doubt about it.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
i think you would be better off getting the 15", because you never know what the future needs will be. a 15" will be more "future proof" i think, as it is more powerful and your needs could change

Reactions: keysofanxiety

HappyMBAowner

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2015
Quebec

I'm currently a high school student, I usually use my current laptop for YouTube, light games (minecraft,LoL etc..), web browsing and school tasks (keynote, PowerPoint etc.) Portability doesn't bother me since my laptop is always at home.

or, the base model of 15 inch without accessories. (ofcourse I have my own mouse but Apple's magic mouse 2 is beautiful piece of technology)

So, Should I get the 13 inch with accessories or the 15 inch without? its really a simple question but I just need you guys' opinion on this.
If portability is not an issue, buy an iMac instead.

Reactions: itsOver9000

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

I'd recommend the 15" because that thing can handle anything you'd be able to throw at it. Except high-end gaming of course. ;) Your usage would be absolutely fine though.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
If you never leave home with it I can't help but wonder why you need a laptop...an iMac would be a more efficient use of money.

However, I could share with you that I have a 13", I took the extra money vs. a 15" and bought an external monitor for my desk.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

If your laptop is always at home, you might consider the iMac. 27" Retina display blows anything else away. As long as you don't need to move it around.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
As others have said the iMac makes more sense. Also BTO with an SSD. I just setup an i7 iMac with a hard drive for a client and it felt slower than my Core 2 Duo Macbook with an SSD. OS X is far more punishing on a hard drive than Windows 10.

If you want something to carry around get a low end iPad and an iMac. The iPad is much friendlier for carrying about the house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.