AgileBits Denies Reported 'Acquisition Talks' Between Apple and 1Password [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple plans to deploy 1Password internally to all of its corporate and retail employees around the world over the next few months, according to BGR's editor-in-chief Jonathan Geller, who cites an unnamed source.

[​IMG]

The report claims Apple plans to offer a free license to the standalone version of 1Password to each of its employees and their families:
    The report claims 100 Apple employees will start using 1Password through this initiative starting this week, with all corporate and retail employees at the company expected to be activated within the next one to two months.

The report also mentioned that "acquisition talks were underway," although "unlikely," and AgileBits swiftly denied that claim.

Apple employees have already received 1Password for free for several years, so it's unclear what this "deployment" refers to exactly.

Article Link: AgileBits Denies Reported 'Acquisition Talks' Between Apple and 1Password [Updated]

2. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

This should piss off a lot of folks. Expect development to slow a lot if they acquire them, though it will likely be free.

3. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Nooooo... having 1Password multi-platform / multi browser based is great. Apple will almost certainly stop Android and Windows development.

Apple's efforts of the keychain is way behind what 1Password offers.

4. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I love 1Password, I've had it across all devices for several years..

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

6. scottlitch macrumors member

scottlitch

What does 1password do that Apple's Keychain doesn't?

7. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

why? the password management is already great on iOS and mac os. only thing is that keychain access on Mac is a bit clunky

8. izyreal macrumors regular

Why would Apple's internal password management system annoy me?
    Why would Apple acquiring and natively integrating 1Password annoy me?

9. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

I love 1Password but I hope Apple don't buy it as I would think in a few years time they would drop Windows or Android support or some such.

It's better to stay standalone in my opinion.

10. AlxM macrumors newbie

AlxM

It’d mean a significant improvement.

11. hlevolve macrumors regular

hlevolve

This blows if this is the case. Everything will slow to a crawl and sit stagnant for years... And more than likely will drop all of the cross platform compatibility. Ugh I get tired of the biggest companies buying up the smaller stuff and killing it off.

12. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Having this built directly into iOS/macOS will be great. Apple's built in password management features aren't robust enough, though looking at iOS 12 it seems as though they want to build up this functionality into a fully baked feature. I love 1Password and recommend it highly.

13. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I had no idea. I cannot see anything I am missing currently. Keychain logs into the sites and apps I currently use.

14. MrGunnyPT macrumors regular

MrGunnyPT

Integrating this natively into Mac & iOS alongside iCloud... Would be freaking amazing.

We use 1Password in our company so we can have access to client's databases and what not so integrating this into our Macs would be magical.

15. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

I think this would be a good move. As for the multi-platform folk, perhaps Apple throws the manager on icloud.com for all with an AppleID to use.

16. jb-net macrumors member

I love 1Password, it is an amazing app. Please don't acquire it!

For sure it would be iCloud-only and therefore not as secure as it is today as a offline standalone solution.

17. SteveJay10 macrumors newbie

SteveJay10

Yes! Do hope it is an acquisition. 1 password tricks could help Apple sign ins on all devices. Could still offer it for Windows and Android.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

19. iMerik macrumors 6502a

Yeah, killing multi-platform / multi-browser support will keep me forever away from switching to 1Password. Just like Keychain, I would only use it as a secondary convenience. Here's hoping that if they acquire it they actually support it fully and even accelerate its development.

20. nfl46 macrumors 604

21. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

I highly doubt that. They have a decent business going with their 1Password for Business tier. I don't see any reason why Apple would kill off access for a product to an enterprise market they are seeking more and more.

22. jarman92 macrumors 6502

Huh...seems like a tacit admission that Apple's Safari system isn't good enough for even Apple employees? I'd love an explanation for what its shortcomings are, as it does everything I imagine a password manager should do (and more).

23. B-Mc-C macrumors newbie

I permanently lost all trust in 1Password after I spent time entering all of my information into it, then one day everything disappeared and I was back to the welcome tutorial. Never again! Apple’s iCloud Keychain has never done that to me, and is far superior IMHO, with tighter integration as long as you’re all-in on the Apple ecosystem and don’t have a need for cross-platform/cross-browser.

24. anshuvorty macrumors 6502a

anshuvorty

If this is the case, then Lastpass is the clear winner here for multi-plat users. Head on over to LP! Have been using it day 1 since before they were acquired and it's as good as 1Password.