Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MhzDoesMatter

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Apple's positioning of Keychain is kinda awkward. They keep adding features to it so that its a good stock solution, while also building integration for 3rd party solutions. Password Managers have tons more features but eventually Keychain will soon become good enough for most users. Acquiring 1Password rather than continuing to Sherlock it would be interesting. It's a fully-developed cross platform app and service that provides advanced functionality. That's a bit bigger than bolting on Shazam.

Reactions: orbital~debris

jedwards87

Suspended
May 21, 2015
I highly doubt that. They have a decent business going with their 1Password for Business tier. I don't see any reason why Apple would kill off access for a product to an enterprise market they are seeking more and more.

Exactly. But people love to whine and complain about doom and gloom. They obviously have more time on their hands than the rest of us.
[doublepost=1531236499][/doublepost]
If this is the case, then Lastpass is the clear winner here for multi-plat users. Head on over to LP! Have been using it day 1 since before they were acquired and it's as good as 1Password.

LP is ok but their user experience and UI is horrible. Absolutely horrible. DashLane would be better.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
What does 1password do that Apple's Keychain doesn't?
The list is long, but for me the #1 thing is usability.
[doublepost=1531236730][/doublepost]
Used to until they got greedy with the subscription BS. Switched to EnPass and it's basically the same and no subscriptions.
You can buy a perpetual license version as well if you don't like subscriptions. That's what I got.

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
I’ve used 1Password for years, but increasingly, Apple’s built-in password manager takes care of my needs quite well. So it will be interesting to see what Apple does with 1P, if that’s how things go.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010

Lots. It’s more than its name suggests. It stores more than just passwords. I store serial numbers, account numbers, software licenses, SSN numbers for family members, previous passwords, car VIN numbers, pretty much any identification that might eventually be required of me.

The UI is also more useful than Keychain’s. Keychain’s contents are essentially hidden and inconvenient to browse or search. 1Password’s app lets you see and organize your content.

SoundJudgment

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2017
So I suppose it will eventually become: 1Password for iOS and Mac products. LastPass for everything else.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I'm curious.

1P has cross-platform compatibility that I rely on (I got an iOS license for free and paid for both macOS and Android), but iCloud Keychain now works in apps, and that's a game changer.

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Nooooo... having 1Password multi-platform / multi browser based is great. Apple will almost certainly stop Android and Windows development.

Apple's efforts of the keychain is way behind what 1Password offers.

Keychain is way behind which is why this purchase would be such a good idea. I'm almost certain it will remain cross browser compatible but yes, I would assume they would end windows/android, since the whole point of these acquisitions are to help grow their own company. LastPass and others would still be there to take up those customers.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Lots. It’s more than its name suggests. It stores more than just passwords. I store serial numbers, account numbers, software licenses, SSN numbers for family members, previous passwords, car VIN numbers, pretty much any identification that might eventually be required of me.

The UI is also more useful than Keychain’s. Keychain’s contents are essentially hidden and inconvenient to browse or search. 1Password’s app lets you see and organize your content.

Well there is that.

Reactions: MacUser1

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012

Exactly, and the fact that it works on Windows in IE/Chrome. I can put my secret questions into the 1Password entry -- huge for those sites that always ask you those "secret questions" and what not.

The subscription I was initially against because I had bought the standalone app - which worked fine for years after they started the subscription. But I went subscription because it makes sharing passwords with my wife (who now has 1Password) easy. My sister, friend, and bother now are on my "family" plan as well. They all contribute a little $/year to make the cost almost nothing for me. Each have full 1Password abilities and private password vaults.

TimmeyCook

Suspended
Jun 20, 2018
I wish they would acquire OmniGroup instead. I could use access to some of their sw at reasonable prices.

This.

Omnigraffle is the piece missing in Apple’s productivity suite.

With it, and APIs to Apple Numbers (for programmers), Apple would blow Google’s suite out of the water.

Reactions: TTTedP

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Me too. And it's because I love it that I hope this DOESN'T happen. Apple will destroy this software. And it's great software.

They didn't exactly mothball their Workflow acquisition. They've been updating the app with a bit of regularity and now they are about to envelope the whole thing into the OS in (seemingly) pretty impressive fashion.

Let's just wait and see how all of this plays out before we assume it's going to be terrible.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
And for everyone who is worried about Apple ending support for Android / Windows if they acquire ... I wouldn't worry about it. Apple will want the money from the subscriptions to keep coming in. Password managers aren't "sexy" and aren't going to help sell hardware. So the best way to get some ROI on the acquisition would be ... keep selling subscriptions.

And I mean, seriously. This is from the company that only gives me 5GB of iCloud space for all my devices ... argh. So yes, subscription for 1Password, here to stay.

Reactions: bwintx and jlozoya

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Name a software product acquired by a large company that HASN'T seen a big slowing in their development.

Waze use to update the app weekly with new features and now has added almost nothing in the 5 years they've been opened by Google.
TweetDeck use to add features weekly and now has added nearly nothing in the 7 years since Twitter bought them.
Apple has done little to add to most of the apps they've purchased in the past. At very least development has slowed to 1/100th the previous pace.

If you want to see 1Password stagnate and stay just how it is now, rather than adding new features every couple months, cheer for an Apple acquisition. At the same time, this is the kinda thing AgileBits has built towards. Everyone wants the huge payday of being bought out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.