Agree or Disagree: Watch 3 Red Crown is a Hideous Monstrosity?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by julesme, Sep 12, 2017.

1. julesme, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017

julesme macrumors regular

I am a proud Series 2 owner (since October 2016), and wear the Watch every day. It encourages me to exercise, eat healthier, and monitor my heartrate. I can no longer live without one. I'm also ready to upgrade to a faster, more efficient S3, with better battery life, especially with GPS turned on, and of course LTE capability so I can stream music while I run.

There's only one problem - the photos from today's event show a hideous red circle on the otherwise glorious aluminum facade of my beloved Watch. It stands out like a BREAK GLASS IN CASE OF EMERGENCY sign on a white wall. It looks so bad that it seems like a prank, a design that no one would ever consciously approve.

But if it's real, will it hurt sales, or am I simply overreacting?

2. newtestleper macrumors 6502

I'll start different threads for everything that irks me about hardware, BRB.

3. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I don't like the red circle, either, but I'm still buying one. I'm sure someone will start selling stickers for it. lol

4. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

I was also REALLY disturbed by this. What the hell - at first I thought I was looking at some (product) RED edition or something, but it seems like all versions have it.. very strange.

5. the future macrumors 65816

I for one can hardly believe Apple did this. The red dot will clash with so many watch bands it's not even funny. Good thing I have no need for LTE and will keep my Series 2 anyway, but that stupid red dot would bother me enormously if I wanted a Series 3. Hopefully it will be gone in the next model.

6. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

I personally like it but it does surprise me this wasn't a one off model... specifically like the one they showed in GM leak.

7. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Yes, it's hideous "design" and whoever signed off on it as the solution to visible product differentiation, ought to be animated as a poo emoji, stripped of his knighthood and sent economy class back to the UK.

8. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Hey, collectors pay top dollar for Submariner "Reds," so maybe that's what they're going for? lol

[​IMG]

9. RyCan3 macrumors 6502

RyCan3

10. floridonet macrumors regular

i agree, the red dot is ugly. but i'm getting the s3 lte anyway. :)

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The red dot is ugly, and so I'm happy to see it only on the cellular version

12. rdr7 macrumors member

I don't mind the red dot, at all and I'm a very picky person! I'm getting either the SS or the ceramic series 3. I've never owned an Apple Watch, so looking very forward to it!

13. satchmo macrumors 68000

I wonder if Apple was going after a look similar to a Montblanc crown.

Actually a white dot might have been less 'in your face'.

14. Treebark macrumors regular

Treebark

15. bniu macrumors 6502a

Bleh! I like my space black being 100% black, black crown, black case, black band. Don't want any colour!

16. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

I thought I was the only one that felt this way. I don't get why they had to make it red like that.

17. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

Hate the dot. Skipping the watch until the heart rate sensor can detect irregular heart beats from beats per minute. As someone with AFib this is important to me. The rest of the watch functions are useless and don’t do anything the phone doesn’t. My first gen has sat unused and uncharged for over a year now.

18. maclab macrumors member

maclab

19. Benz63amg macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

the red crown looks terrible, i have a stainless steel series 2 with a milanese loop band which is excellent, the only reason for me to update to the series 3 would be the built in Barometer in the series 3 which would measure elevation etc which is fantastic i guess but i dont know if its worth selling my series 2 for, i dont plan on using lte on the watch at all and oh yes, theres that ugly red dot on the crown now which is a huge turn off.. im pretty sure im going to keep my apple watch series 2 stainless steel for now

20. rdr7 macrumors member

Can you tell me how your SS watch has held up, please. Does the SS scratch or ding easily? Thank you!

21. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

It is real. It will not hurt sales and yes you are overreacting.

22. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

It's hideous. I won't be getting the s3 but if I did I would buy a sticker. Then I would slap myself for buying a 1$ sticker to cover up a 600$ stainless steel watch.

23. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Well you can always get a set of WatchDots, they have lots of colors to use on the Stem and also the side switch.

https://shop.watchdots.com/

Dave

24. Benz63amg macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

I've had my series 2 stainless steel watch from the day it came out last year and it has held up incredibly well, There is a good amount of microscratches on the body itself as you would expect from a stainless steel watch but in my opinion thats the beauty of owning the SS Version, if you want no scratches the ceramic or the aluminium version would be the one to opt for but in my opinion the aluminium apple watch looks extremely cheap any way i look at it and its not something i want to wear on my wrist which is why i spent $600+ for my SS Series 2 Apple Watch and its been a fantastic watch that is worth every penny.

25. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

All steel watches, from the Apple Watch to an $8K Rolex and beyond, scratch and ding up relatively easily. It's steel, and it's no big deal.