Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I know, it's a watch, wearable.."expect scratches"..and I accept that. But seeing this and not even knowing how I did it - just aggravates me to no end. I've had the AW SS0 in black for years and that is still in mint condition.

And it's not even a darn scratch OR a dent, it's like tiny chunk of of the steel was sliced off!! I know it may sound stupid - sure It might be small, but just knowing it's there is a tad deflating. It's like a newer car, that first ding, dent and it gets under your skin. Ugh, oh well.

On a brighter note, these Cape Cod Metal Polishing cloths really does do an amazing job removing these micro scratches.

zLeaAkE.jpg

Reactions: CreepyAF

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s unfortunate, but it happens when you wear a watch on your wrist when it’s constantly moving, and maybe you came in impact with an object that didn’t seem like it would’ve damaged the watch, but maybe at the right angle, it obviously did. In the end, it’s just a smart watch, and eventually you will upgrade to another watch in the future being that’s the nature of depreciating tech.

Last edited:

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
If you have the opportunity: Have a look at a friends or your boss' Rolex - or other really expensive watch. Maybe ask them, what they think about the scratches or nicks they will certainly have on their watch.

A watch is not a mobile phone, put in a rubber condom by many, to keep it pristine, missing the experience of the "original" design and feeling. A watch lives with you and ages. I do myself not like nicks at all, I sometimes polish my SS watches (yes also some of them quite more expensive), but live with the fact, that the watch lives with me. :)

Reactions: japanime

BSG75

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2015
Tennessee
If you have the opportunity: Have a look at a friends or your boss' Rolex - or other really expensive watch. Maybe ask them, what they think about the scratches or nicks they will certainly have on their watch.

A watch is not a mobile phone, put in a rubber condom by many, to keep it pristine, missing the experience of the "original" design and feeling. A watch lives with you and ages. I do myself not like nicks at all, I sometimes polish my SS watches (yes also some of them quite more expensive), but live with the fact, that the watch lives with me. :)

Exactly! Scratches give watches their character and make them uniquely your own. In the mechanical world, one of the worst things you can do is polish a SS watch. In many instances, it actually lowers the watch’s value.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I've said it before and will say it again: Little knicks like this are badges of honor. They show that you actually wear and use and enjoy your watch rather than treat it like an artifact that belongs in a museum. Embrace the dings!

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I'm over it now. I saw it yesterday and it really ticked me off initially. The way I try to look at it, if I kept my AW Sport and not trade up to SS, that nick right next to the screen - well the screen could have chipped, cracked as well - or maybe not. Eh, what can you do.:)

Reactions: SquidRuby
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.