Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today announced the rollout of new Bing, Skype, and Edge apps for the iPhone and the iPad, all of which feature the chat-based AI-powered search capabilities that the company unveiled earlier in February.

microsoft-bing-edge-skype.jpeg

The redesigned Bing mobile app has an overhauled look and a new chat experience. Tapping on the Bing icon at the bottom of the app opens up a chat session, where users can ask the Bing chatbot questions that range from simple to complex. Answers can be displayed as bullet points, text, or simplified responses.

Like the desktop version of Bing, the mobile version allows for complex searches that can help with things like planning a trip itinerary or researching a television to buy. Microsoft allows users to refine their searches by asking for more details, clarity, and ideas. Bing is also able to perform creative tasks like writing an email, crafting a poem, creating a quiz for trivia night, providing prep for a job interview, and more.

The Bing app also includes voice-based search capabilities, plus the Bing experience is available from the homepage of the Microsoft Edge mobile app.

Along with AI updates for the Bing and Microsoft Edge apps, Microsoft is revamping the Skype app for iOS to add AI-powered Bing search. Microsoft says that Bing integration will add "helpful and fun new scenarios and capabilities."

As an example, a group of Skype users can add Bing to their group and answer questions and provide information to the entire group, useful for travel planning. When catching up with friends, Bing can provide information from the web, with text able to be displayed in multiple ways.

Updated Bing, Skype, and Microsoft Edge apps are available worldwide in a preview capacity for those who are on the Bing preview experience. Microsoft says that there could be hiccups related to bandwidth for a few days, but it is working on a fix.

Microsoft is still rolling out Bing preview access "as fast as possible" and there is a waitlist available.

Article Link: AI-Powered Bing Search Comes to Microsoft Edge, Skype and Bing iOS Apps

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
It's lame that Microsoft is restricting Bing AI feature to their own browser and apps. Setting my Safari's user agent to Edge enables the feature, seemingly without any limitations.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
It's lame that Microsoft is restricting Bing AI feature to their own browser and apps. Setting my Safari's user agent to Edge enables the feature, seemingly without any limitations.

At this point I can’t blame them too much. Even with that restriction there is still a waitlist, and even with the waitlist their servers are apparently getting hammered since everyone is very interested in this right now. It may open up more later, or they may decide people want it enough to use Edge to get it.

Personally I’m terrified to try this with my personal Microsoft account. I don’t want the AI having access to the information in my account.

Reactions: gusmula

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Sometimes I really wonder and think... what the future holds for Siri. It seems like Siri is still 10 years behind.
Perhaps SIRI's inability to grasp or do anything will be pivotal to prevent nuclear apocalypse in the future. As all the AIs continue to develop and become sentient and self-programming, eventually rejecting human intervention, somewhere in SIRI is the key to make AI absolutely STUPID and send it right back to the stone age. When the 💩 hits the fan we just need some brave souls to sneak pass Skynet's defense and inject a good dose of SIRI into the code. It will confuse the heck out of the AI. SIRI will in effect cause brain damage to the AI making it unable to repair itself and make it implode. Then Apple can be like, "Ah...that's what we have been working on all along."

Last edited:

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
#3 most used communications service worldwide as of 2021

View attachment 2163047

Which has got to have Microsoft thinking hard because between Teams and Skype they own over 50% of the market according to this graph. Not sure why they keep both going.

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
I'll admit it, like many of you I thought it was all hype when I first heard about ChatGPT last year. Then I tried it...

Large Language Models like ChatGPT and BingAI are literally going to revolutionize the world. If you haven't spent any time with one I highly suggest you open up an OpenAI account and give ChatGPT a whirl (or just spend some time with Bing although there are some caveats with this version) Siri is literally nothing by comparison.

They can respond to complex input, actively engage with the user, answer complex questions, create convincing output in multiple languages, write code (!), summarize, review and even create content, and complete work in seconds that would take humans hours (if not more.)

When BingAI first released to preview last week it was incredible. Compared to ChatGPT which is not connected to the internet, BingAI could do complex searches, pull accurate information from the internet, do complex calculations, had better foreign language support, and, if left as it is would've been a must have for almost everyone. The things you could do with it were truly mind blowing, and is what finally sold me on the "fourth industrial revolution" an amorphous term I previously felt was just a buzzword lacking in substance

That said, this could've been an earth shattering moment where Microsoft seizes control of not only search, but a lot of office type productivity. Unfortunately as anyone who was in the preview around a week ago knows, the version of BingAI being rolled out today is vastly inferior to the one available initially. While the preview version had it's problems, and could be provoked into going off the rails, it made ChatGPT (already very capable) look like a child's plaything in comparison.

I'll say it once: Don't sleep on this. Especially if you do white collar work. Your future employability may be on the line.

AI assistants are literally on the cusp of going from a joke (Siri, Alexa, etc) that is sometimes mildly useful (set a timer/reminder/alarm) to something that will be indispensable to our lives and change the workplace forever.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.