AIM, GoogleTalk on iPhone or iPod Touch??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carrollf, Mar 12, 2008.

1. carrollf macrumors regular

carrollf

HI

Can the iPhone or iPod Touch support AIM or GoogleTalk? If so, how can it be installed?

2. maxxscholten macrumors regular

Currently, it cannot.

However, in June when the free iPhone software 2.0 update will be available along with the AppStore (this update will cost a "nominal fee" for the iPod Touch), AIM should be available.

However, I do not know how much AOL will charge for this application, hell, it might even be free. But if you watch the March 6 Event for the iPhone (apple.com) you can see that AOL managed to accomplish a decent version of AIM for the iPhone in just two weeks.

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

AIM will 100% be free.
    They've never charged for AIM before, they won't start now.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Everyone said the same thing about the second luggage in airlines being free. They now charge.

Yet again, those are two VERY different things. But hey, its never late to start charging...

my $0.02

5. mazellan macrumors newbie

AIM charged about $20 for their old PocketPC version of AIM. I sincerely hope they don't do this with the iPhone.

6. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

isnt iChat being released for the iPhone? that should cover just about all the IM needs.

7. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

No.

Also, I was unaware about AOL charging for AIM on the Pocket PC. However, I stand by my statement that there is about a 0% chance they'll charge for AIM on the iPhone. If I'm wrong, well that sucks.

8. drb6 macrumors regular

What about Google Talk? They never charge for any of their products.

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

as has been said previously. The Apple EULA for apps calls for no background 3rd party processes running on the iPhone. This would pretty much make AIM and GoogleTalk useless. It remains to be seen if Apple will make an exception .