Air France plane lost over Atlantic

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by arkitect, Jun 1, 2009.

1. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Wow… this is looking really bad. :(

BBC link…

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

3. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

Brazil needs to get its act in order for aviation. Their ATT is absolutly terrible, because they are overworked, undertrained, and understaffed. They simply didn't have a chance...

4. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

According to French TV resources it disappeared around 8 am local time and should arrive at Roissy around noon. At that time it should have been near the coast of Morocco.

5. Keebler macrumors 68030

wow. i find this comment a little disturbing in the sense of overreacting unless you have some inside information....

as for the plane, hoping for the best..

6. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

I don't think their ATC had anything to do with this - those would result in crashes near the airport or at the airport during takeoff/landing - not when the plane is so far away and over the atlantic near morocco.

Hoping for the best, although it seems unlikely given their location.. just adds to my fear of flying :(

PS - Every ATC has overworked and understaffed employees..

7. arkitect thread starter macrumors 601

arkitect

Update:

8. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Yeah, doesn't look very hopeful :(

They believe it was hit by lightening, not sure how you can blame ATT for that?

9. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

it seems very strange that a lightening strike would take down an A330

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I didn't think lightning could take down a plane either, I'm sure planes getting hit by lightning is a common occurence. I wonder if there was an existing electrical problem that was only made worse by a lightning strike.

12. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

Hoping for the best ...

According to BBC, the automatic short circuit signal was sent some 40 minutes after contact was lost by radar. Hoping this means it has ditched in the sea in one piece.

Had a flight through Argentina in 2002, Ushuaia to BA, struck by lightning. A lot of hail mary's called out but we got there in one piece.
    I did some research when I got back, lightning nose-tail (strikes the tail and continues to ground from the nose) or vice versa is safer than wing to wing, which may ignite fuel vapour in the tanks in the wings.
    Not saying this has happened, if there was a short-circuit message 40 minutes after dropping off radar.

13. Hmac macrumors 68020

\

How do you figure that Brazilian ATC has any role in this?

14. Ted13 macrumors 6502

If there was a short circuit, that gives you the most likely explanation -- the plane's electrical system failed due to lightning strike causing it to crash. There was also supposedly severe turbulence.

Hope they will be able to find the plane -- the possible search area is half the Atlantic...

15. Keebler macrumors 68030

let's hope they find a bunch of life boats with everyone on board. hard to expect in a rolling ocean, but you never know.

so sad.

16. Queso macrumors G4

Unfortunately I think the hope of finding any survivors is next to none. Unlike the Hudson River the Atlantic in a storm simply isn't flat enough to land a plane on without it breaking apart. I really hope I'm proved wrong though.

Truly awful news :(

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, normally, lightning passes right along the plane and continues out the other end.

Attached Files:

18. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Wow - how awful. It might be a long, long time before we figure out exactly what happened - if ever.

19. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

From CNN:
    The article did not sound like they were expecting any survivors.

I've read that most plane crashes are the result of many errors in a row. It may take a while to figure out what exactly went wrong. Finding the black boxes might be very difficult in this instance.

20. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I was looking at Google Earth around the island of Fernando de Noronha, where the search effort seems to be focused. The water around there gets pretty deep - 16,000 feet in some places. It might take a miracle to even find the wreckage.

21. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Particularly if it was a catastrophic event at altitude over an awful lot of deep open water.

22. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

It is a sad state our technology laden society finds itself in when a giant aluminium tube flying through the air at hundreds of miles and hour can simply "disappear" without so much as a blip on any other technology found worldwide.

A plane exploding should be able to send a signal over the airwaves to something listening somewhre on the planet to say "catastrophic failure" or something. I mean, LoJack for airplanes still doesnt exist in ANY capacity?

side note:
    40 years ago my pocket calculator could make it to the moon and back. today Ive got more power in my iPhone and yet I still cant call the f***ing moon!?

23. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

they should have a sumbarine already on its way there... or we should step in and send one.. combing the bottom of the ocean thats really the only way were gonna find it:apple::apple:

24. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Seriously, I doubt this was anyone's fault. It apparently happened so fast, there was most likely nothing any advanced technology or amount of skill could have done about it.

25. BertyBoy macrumors 6502

Electrical failure shouldn't cause a crash. A lot of stuff will stop working, but the planes hydraulics will keep the flaps in trim and the engines running.

Lack of radio communication doesn't look good, but still fingers crossed most are found.