Air or Pro 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bondiblueuk, Aug 12, 2011.

1. bondiblueuk macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

After five years I am now ready to pass on my Rev A Macbook. I am tied between the 13" Air and Pro.

The resolution of the Air over the Pro will come in very handy for when I am typing documents with web pages and when I use Logic Audio.

The problem is the Air can't be upgraded to have more than 4Gb of RAM. I am looking to future proof the computer for a period of at five years and I feel this limit would be a problems 2-3 years down the line?

So the options are:

Air with i7, 4GB RAM and 256GB SSD
    Pro with i7, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD

Many thanks!

2. bondiblueuk thread starter macrumors newbie

3. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

Yeah, it seems the only downfall of the air is the lack of user upgradeable parts.

If you're looking for longevity I would go with the pro. However, I would not get the 13", I feel the resolution is unacceptable.

I don't think we will see 8gb of RAM as a standard for a WHILE

Edit:
    I also see you will be getting the SSD for the Pro anyway, so right now the only bad thing is the resolution.
    It's up to you whether that matters.

4. misterneums macrumors 6502

The Pro will last you longer for the future--the higher ram and the possibility to easily replace the SSD/HDD will be useful. You will have an inferior resolution.

5. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

The Air. You posted in this sub forum for a reason...:D

All joking aside, the Air. Like you said, you'll benefit from the screen resolution. Also, the portability and battery life is great.

6. bondiblueuk thread starter macrumors newbie

13 is the size I would like it to be. 15 is going to be too large to carry around the house and use on my lap and while I am lying down! I considered the 11" but it is way to small to use when typing etc - maybe I am wrong? It has a better res than the 13" Pro.

I fancy the pro because of the 8GB of RAM but do people think 4GB will be a problem in a few years? I currently use 2GB on my MacBook which is pretty fast even by todays standards. It is just starting to get a bit sluggish now and it won't run Lion.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Because you are asking in the Air forum? :rolleyes:

Seriously, if you NEED 8GB of RAM, then the answer is obvious. There is no telling what will be NEEDED 5 years from now. There are very few applications that NEED 8GB. If you plan to run one of those, your choice is simple.

Otherwise, choose the Air. :apple:

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

9. bondiblueuk thread starter macrumors newbie

How much slower is 4GB and the 1.8 vs the 2.7Ghz i7? I mostly just do basic chores but I like running several Safari windows with several tabs open alongside Office and a few other apps. I occasionally use Logic etc and play a few games but most are oldschool so the GPU should be fine.

10. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

I'm coming from a Pro, not a new one, to the Air within the week. The form factor got me staring and the screen drew me in. Specs are going to blow my current MBP away and I will be a little lighter;)

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If you run a benchmark I'd say the MBP should score higher. But in real life usage for what you are doing, you probably won't be able to tell the difference, and that's assuming you are comparing apples to apples. The SSD on the Air makes it seem very, very fast.

Question is, do you want to look GOOD while doing your basic chores? If you do, get the Air. :cool:

12. misterneums macrumors 6502

@ the OP

With what you stated at the beginning with your computer usage: The 13" Air would be an ideal computer for you. It will be able to do all the things you want it to.

If your work/computer usage stays the same--you may be able to get your 5 years out of the computer.

However--5 years ahead is a long time to try to have your tech for. I feel like that in about 3 years--you'll find 8GB RAM in most devices.

So I guess what I'm really saying is: The air will definitely work for you now. It should work for you in 5 years as well.

13. bondiblueuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean my Macbook is fine at the moment it copes with nearly everything I throw at it. It just gets sluggish with Powerpoint sometimes when in menus and with flash. Logic runs ok but is a bit sluggish sometimes with many instruments.

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

i think your 5 year plan sounds kind of unpleasant, because computers are sure to be considerably more powerful, and less expensive, so you'll have a tough time with any processor or any ram from 2011. 3 years sounds more reasonable.

both computers are fine, but if you don't mind the resolution (i actually much prefer the mbp screen) the mbp will be best for you. it costs less, gives you an opportunity to upgrade to 8gb, gives you a fully powered processor, and you can also upgrade to ssd later if you'd like.

i love the air, but you pay a premium for portability.

15. bondiblueuk thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd probably just go for the SSD option on the Pro anyway to start with alongside the 8GB of RAM. Money isn't an issue so long as the machine lasts. I've had this one for over five years and its done me amazingly well.

16. Tenashus1 macrumors 6502

I'd get the Air. Light as a feather even at 13". Amazing.

17. Kafka macrumors 6502

I wonder why it is that it's that unacceptable, considering how bad the trade is in actual display quality with the Air... Not everyone likes having windows everywhere, and I'd say many see the new fullscreen thing as the future.

18. palpatine macrumors 68040

i get the complaints about lower resolution on the mbp 13". it is a pro model and the numbers are smaller. we pay attention to specs. i read lots and lots of reviews before looking at the mac, and as soon as i saw it, i realized it would be a complete non-issue for me. it is absolutely gorgeous, with rich colors, and a beautiful single plate of glass that keeps the screen perfectly clean. no more crud getting stuck in the bezel, thank goodness.

i think what you need to do is ask what you want. if it doesn't matter to you, then you'll get a wonderfully priced, super-powerful machine, that is incredibly compact (not much difference between it and 13" air).

19. MistaMacky macrumors newbie

Apple products are built to last. I still use my 1st gen iPod nano...just replaced the battery. Longevity is standard with $1000 plus machine (I hope at least). Usage is more important. Are e-mail, internet, Microsoft Office and Preview your most used processes? As a student, they are for me. I highly value portability, as I go to graduate school in London. To each his own my friend, best of luck.

20. palpatine macrumors 68040

I agree that Apple products are built to last, and physically the computer will be fine. I just wonder if the inside will be able to cope well with stuff in five years.

Things change very quickly, and I know you say that money is no object, but if that is the case, why not simply by a nice computer now and upgrade every year? You can sell the old one for a slight loss and it will only cost you a few dollars a month to use cutting edge stuff. That certainly beats blowing a ton of money on something like the dual core i7 (a waste of money) now. Next year at this time you could have an ivy bridge processor in the base model with better performance and probably still come out well in terms of money spent.

I guess I just don't get the logic of blowing a ton of money now to "future proof" yourself when you could just save that money and spend it in the future to actually get a future computer.

21. pickleydoo macrumors newbie

I think it depends on what you're doing in Logic and whether you have a workstation at home that you can bring your projects back to at the end of the day. Are you tracking or are you mixing?

I really wanted an Air for the portability (huge factor in my book) and high resolution screen but ultimately went Pro because I wanted to get the OptiBay for 120 GB SSD + 1 TB 7200rpm HDD + 8 GB RAM + Firewire port for Logic on-site and CS5. I'll report on my findings as I get familiar with the machine.

I still want the Air though. I agree with palpatine and will probably start doing a yearly upgrade, sellling the old hardware, starting with the Ivy Bridge Airs.

22. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I literally went through this same decision process over the past few weeks. I went back and forth between the things everyone has mentioned (more memory, horsepower and expansion on the MBP vs the portability and screen of the Air) and in the end it came down to playing with each side by side for an hour at the store. I could see no difference in performance between an i5 Air and the base MBP. The biggest thing was the screen - the extra resolution tipped things to the Air. So I picked up the 13" Air with 256GB SSD and the i7 processor tonight. I upgraded the processor as sort of an impulse buy future proof thing (not to mention that my boss is letting me expense this! :) ).

23. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I say if you can wait, wait for the next rev of macbook pros. (according to the buyer guide and update should be due in the next couple of months) and then compare. I know most people here will disagree, but I think if your going with a 13", you should get a pro. Reason being is both have the same foot print, so sure the air is thinner and lighter, your still going to want to carry it around in a bag because its too awkward just carrying around like a folder or book. So unless you also carry a bunch of other stuff with you all the time, the difference in weight should not be that big of a deal, and like you said, the pro is upgradeable and a more complete system with optical drive and a ton of ports. If your going to carry it around in a bag you might as well just get the more complete system. If you going air get the 11" or if your going 13" get the pro.

24. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

The weight difference is not negligible.