Air or Retina Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seedzeng, Nov 30, 2012.

1. seedzeng, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

seedzeng macrumors member

New here, Please help me out
    Having a hard time deciding on these two

AIR
    $1647
    2.0GHz Intel Dual-Core Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    256GB Flash Storage

or RETINA Pro
    $2117

2.9GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
    8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory
    256GB Flash Storage

Since i have a ASUS G74sx right on my desk. I am not gonna use this unit to play any game. Pretty much just surf on the internet, writing paper, watching video, may be some python programming.........So I donot need a beast.....

BUt Does the Retina display worth the money?
    and Will it also worth sacrificing the protablity of the air?????

2. Hpye macrumors 6502

For me , ill go for retina

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think you'll be fine with the 13" MacBook Air.

The Retina display is not much if not a gimmick.

4. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

I had the exact same problem!
    I convinced myself to be sane and to order the macbook air, as it has everything an average user needs. I ordered it just as you described, full specced

After playing with the air for a week i returned it to Apple. It's a great form factor, it's speedy and fun to use with mission control. But that screen! 13" is just too small. I often need to compare two documents and that simply doesn't work on this size.
    And i feared that using the air with a bigger screen and photoshop and gaming will be too much.

That's why i returned it. The air is a great computer on the go, not as a main laptop.

I don't need to buy a computer now, i'm seriously considering the retina, but i might hold on to the next update :)

5. washburn macrumors 6502

with the Retina you might get the image retention problem

6. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I have both at the moment. The 13" rMBP all the way. Screen is stunning, no gimmick. Put both side by side and its an easy decision, the Air's screen is bad in comparison.

Depends if you're thinking with your wallet or desires.

Everybody wants one, admit it ;)

----------

Btw - no image retention or lag here, check it out for yourself, you have 14 days, I wouldn't base your decision on the naysayers comments here that for sure.

7. judethat macrumors 6502

judethat

I have the new 13 rMBP, nd have until tomorrow to return it, got a great deal on
    Black Friday, love the screen, but not sure if better performance wise than the air.

8. JellyFish macrumors regular

I have the 13 inch rMBP and I love it. So light and the screen looks awesome if you do any writing or reading. I got the upgraded SSD option so it ran $1999.

At this point, I wouldn't buy a non-retina laptop. The screen just looks so much nicer.

----------

Haven't seen that at all on mine.

9. seedzeng thread starter macrumors member

I donot know, There is a big difference between my ipad 2 and 3 though

----------

I have enough budget........
    I love the whole design of MBA though. Why donot they just make a MBA Retina

----------

I might end up ordering a rMBP first and have a try

10. iSensei macrumors regular

A buffed up Air since it's far more portable. Retina only if you're a web designer, professional video/photo editor. I'm happy with my 13" Air.

11. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Since you can clearly afford the 13" rMBP, then go with that.
    Only if money is a serious issue should you go with the 13" MBA.

----------

"far more portable"? Please stop being silly...
    Great that you're happy with it, but no need to be silly and exaggerate.
    The only thing the 13" MBA "beats" the 13" rMBP at ( realistically speaking ) is price. Period.

12. Haifisch macrumors regular

How about anyone who appreciates crisp text or whites that are easy on the eyes for hours on end? I enjoy the retina display every second that it's on.

"Far more portable?" They have the same footprint. The weight difference is close enough that I wouldn't give the 13" Air any practical advantage. As if the tapered profile makes it any easier to carry. :rolleyes:

13. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Simple... Main two reasons:

1) Heat would be a serious issue.
    2) They can't fit small and powerful enough batteries into that form. With a retina screen and current form factor, battery life would be really crap... no one would buy it and it would be extremely closely priced to the current 13" rMBP.

The new MBAs are the rMBPs. I see Apple discontinuing MBAs as we know them today in the following 2-3 years max. The rMBPs are slim enough ( they might get slimmer... but I wouldn't bet on this anytime soon ) and they will eventually get more affordable ( newest generations will remain highly priced, but people will slowly replace current MBAs with early generation rMBPs ).

----------

Just a slight correction: 13" rMBP actually has a slightly smaller footprint than the 13" MBA.

14. tillsbury macrumors 65816

The Air will be fine for what you want to do with it. I bought my wife one and she loves it. If you can afford it and want a good screen, go for the Retina. It's just better. Entirely your call, they're both great.

15. seedzeng thread starter macrumors member

R

What is your configuration ?????

----------

Is the return for Mac to Apple easy?

I usually buy all more electronics from AMAzon, which does not support self-configuration this time.

I still remember my experience return stuff to google is a nightmare

16. seedzeng thread starter macrumors member

return policy

Is the return for Mac to Apple easy?

I usually buy all more electronics from AMAzon, which does not support self-configuration this time.

I still remember my experience return stuff to google is a nightmare

17. SchuettS macrumors 6502

14 days no questions asked.

18. Haifisch macrumors regular

I definitely like the size of the 13" rMBP. I never valued it until I got used to the 15" and then played with the 13" in person. Had the 13" been better value, I would have got that instead.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you can, buy both. Use both and return the one you like less.

But the question is, does the retina display increase the useability of the iPad? Or did it just make the screen look better?

20. seedzeng thread starter macrumors member

se

definetly not performance wise!

yet tablet is the kind of thing needs looking better

21. seedzeng thread starter macrumors member

Fan

Still have not made my final decision.

I heard that the Fan of rMBP compared to MBA is pretty loud????

is that true?

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

For your needs I would go with 4GB RAM and a larger drive on the Air

23. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I think indecisive people like you with no monetary concerns would regret not getting the best. Get the rMBP otherwise you'll be here next week asking us if you should return the Air. :)

24. dehory, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

dehory macrumors regular

Comparing my 13" rMBP to my SO's mid-2012 13" MBA and mid-2011 11" MBA, my experience is that the rMBP has both a less audible fan and a better designed cooling system. The rMBP stays quieter and cooler at higher loads than the MBA.

In a side-by-side comparison, the 1.35 kg 13" MBA does indeed feel noticeably lighter (as it should, at 2.96 lbs vs 3.57 lbs). However, that's offset by the 13" rMBP's also noticeably smaller planar footprint (12.35" x 8.62" vs. 12.8" x 8.94") If absolute portability is the buyer's concern, I'd go not for the 13" MBA, but the 11" MBA.

The 13" rMBP definitely does not represent the great value for money that the 13" MBA does. Nor is it as future-proof as the 13" rMBP that may or may not be released next year. But for anyone who's currently in the market and whose main criterion is not cost but quality, it's hard to recommend anything but the rMBP line.

As others have said, the best thing to do is to have both in front of you and see if you think the retina display is worth the extra money. FWIW, I spend a lot of time in front of the computer and every time I go back to using the MBA screen, my eyes hurt.