Air owners coming from 15 and 17"+ screens ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by entatlrg, Jan 5, 2012.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

How's it going coming from a larger screen?

Do you miss it, find the need to hook up to an external monitor often or are you happy with the 13 or 11" screens?

2. jahala macrumors regular

I hook up to a 24" screen at home and two 19" screens at work. I connect the second one with a DisplayLink USB video adapter made by Diamond. I am happy with the 11" screen when I am out and about.

3. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Do you also use another keyboard and mouse? That seems like it'd be horrible to have to navigate that big of a screen with such a small mouse/keyboard.

4. Longdrive macrumors member

Made the move from 15"MBP to 13"MBA and don't miss is a bit. In fact, I rarely find the need to sit down at my desk and hook into my ATD. Really not doing anything too intensive here to be honest though.

5. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Yes - you just use another regular size keyboard and mouse. I have the 13", and find the 11" a bit too cramped for my older eyes, but you'll likely adjust pretty quickly.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I thought I would, but to be honest, I find the 13" screen on my Air is fine. I also have a 17" MBP, and that's fine....I don't feel the need to hook up to an external monitor at all.

My iMac is the machine that does all tHe really heavy lifting...27" screen there, but I don't feel the need to rush to it all the time.

I did add a MM to my MBP setup for precision work, but the trackpad on the Air works well for me.

7. theSeb, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

hehe. Have you still not made your mind up about getting a 17" to work away from your desk?

I am actually considering going back to a 15" or a 17" when the 2012 refresh happens. I am finding that I cannot get on with the MBA's screen angles. I've owned it since 2 days after it was available and I still love it for travelling and it's ok if I am sitting at a desk, but if it's on my lap the contrast is funny to me no matter what brightness I select. I still love my MBA, but I was recently using my old 2009 MBP and I was reminded how much better the screen is, despite being glossy.

It's just better suited for my purposes - I mainly stare at text all day to make money. I've been to the Apple store and played around with all 15" and 17" models. The choice is now down to the 17" AG or the 15" AG Hi-res.

The AG screens on the MBPs are beautiful and perfect for my uses and the 1920 x 1200 resolution of the 17" is just wonderful.

The only thing that concerns me is the size of this beast. You don't realise how big it is until you actually see it in person.

8. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Nope, I realised that 17" is too big for a laptop after about a year of owning it. Love the 13" air.

9. ChristianJapan macrumors 68040

ChristianJapan

Same here: 17" MBP is now with my wife; I got 11" MBA and don't look back. When I need/want big screen I use my iMac 27" with 24" ACD attached. The MBA is my machine while on the road. For me the perfect combo.

10. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Every time I see someone with a 17" laptop I cringe, especially when they are traveling with it. I had 15' and 17'' ones in the past (windows machines), and I hated taking them on the road.

When viewing a 13" screen vs a 15", it's not that big of a difference, since the screen is not more than an arms length away but the bulk of carrying it around is noticeable. It's not like a desktop computer where you might have the screen further away and a keyboard between it. The keyboard and screen are right together. My last two laptops have been 12 and 13" screens, and I think they are great, and I wouldn't mind going smaller.

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Agree on the travelling bit. The issue for me is that I need a laptop for my apartment in London and the MBA is not cutting it.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I went from a 15" MBP to a 13"MBP (yeah not quite a MBA) and I missed the screen real estate a little bit. Most of the time when I'm not traveling, the laptop is hooked up to my ACD so I get the best of both worlds, a nice laptop and lots of screen real estate.

I found the 11" while incredibly mobile, just too small screen wise. My eyes would have great difficulty using it when not hooked up to an external monitor.

13. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

My beautiful Wife purchased me a loaded 13" Air for Christmas to replace my 3 year old 15" MBP. I instantly fell in love with the form factor, weight of the MBA and increased speed.

Unfortunately, it didn't take long to begin to suffer from eye-strain and ultimately headaches from the display.

For 90% of people, I think the 13" would be great (web surfing, iTunes, looking at iPhoto, emails, etc) - it is when you use the screen for more detailed tasks (as I do), like Illustrator, Photoshop and Dreamweaver. I do have a 24" ACD to plug the MBA which is great - but I do 80% of my work on my couch.

I regrettably returned the MBA to Apple and let them know I would be first i line should they release a 15" version or a smaller form factor MBP.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I've been thinking of getting a MBA 13. Going from a MBP 15.

Screen resolution is the same, just smaller pixels.

15. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

For me it's not about the resolution, it's about the limited viewing angle/contrast issue that bothers my eyes.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree. That's why it's hard to change.

My LCD is anti-glare/non-glossy. But they are getting better.

17. ZirkMan macrumors newbie

I have the 13" MBA but I cannot use it for any serious work (besides writing for which it is great and the main reason I have bought it).
    The problem is not only the lack of screen real estate (I could live with that) but too small fonts in menus that I cannot change in programs I would use for work. I have a feeling I would go blind very quickly if I had to work like that for a longer time. This is way too uncomfortable to just get used to.
    Programs like Google AdWords Editor do not let you change font size on anything on the screen and there is no system-wide DPI font size change in Mac OS X (unlike in Windows). This is my biggest gripe with my MBA.

Therefore when I travel for a longer time I have to bring a 17" Laptop to do my work. I wish I would not have to, but it's a necessity for me.

18. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

The 13 works great for travel etc and has a nice screen. For me the 13 is useable on an airplane but some people will like an 11 better probably if they fly a lot.

At home or at work always connected to an external monitor and I use both screens.

Reasonable 1920 x 1080 external monitors now in the 150 dollar ( US ) range.

19. phyzics101 macrumors regular

phyzics101

I had the 17" and now have the 13" Air. I don't miss it at all but I will buy the 27" apple cinema display for a few apps.

20. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and Spooner (when it's not 20 below)
    Went from 15" mbp to 13" air. I really like the air, and going back to look at the 15" pro seems almost cartoon-like in it's font size and apparent resolution.

As others have said, traveling with the 13" air is great - I have on several occasions, thought I forgot my air when I pick up my briefcase, given how light it is compared to when I carried the 15" around.

I work from home and although I've got a great HM desk chair, I find myself taking the air from spot to spot, occasionally standing next to the counter to work. It's great that it's just so easy and I can get just about a full days work out of it unplugged if I let it sleep while I'm not using it.

21. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I seldom carry my MBP around now, it's strange I sort of got used to lugging it around with me, but the MBA 13' is SO portable that I avoid carting the Pro on long trips if I can avoid it.

I have one of those XL messenger bags which will actually carry both of them, and my iPad, but those day's have pretty much gone now.

The MBA is a joy to use, and the ideal portable device IMO. I do think the 11" might be too small for me though.

22. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You really notice it when you aren't lugging it around anymore that's for sure, but my Pro is still a great machine, and it has the larger storage space I sometimes need for big projects, so it's not going anywhere for now.

The MBA is a fantastic machine too, but it won't replace my MBP completely, at least, not yet. Now a 15" MBA with a nice big SSD, and my portable SuperDrive?

Then it might be time to let my Pro go.

23. christurbo macrumors regular

I have just come from a 15" MBP to a 13" MA and the resolution more than makes up for the smaller size.

I use Traktor Pro 2 which works OK on the smaller screen however on 4 decks it is pushing it if not running it minimalistic.

24. YosemiteSam81 macrumors member

YosemiteSam81

I just moved down to the 13" from a 15" and have not regretted the decision one bit.

I would take some time using the machine in the Apple Store to make sure you are comfortable before making the jump.

25. tanhm macrumors regular

tanhm