Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hamster100

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2016
I had the original AirPods and loved them and when the new Pros came out I decided to upgrade. But I’ve found these a little frustrating for the reasons below. I couldn’t fault the original pods so it’s a shame I’m not 100% satisfied with Apples new version

Issue 1
The squeeze vs Tap seems like a backwards move to me. I had the original AirPods for 3 years then upgraded. But when out running and I want to skip a track I have to fumble around trying to squeeze while at the same time trying to not knock the AirPod out my ear. For me this is a big miss and I realise the enhancements are welcome overall. This method and ease to skip will cause me no end of frustration.

Issue 2
They simply will not stay in my ear. I’ve tried every bud they come bundled with and the same happens. Starts off ok then as soon as I start to mildly warm up they just keep falling out and I spend the whole workout just pushing them back in. I had to buy some silicone ear grips to put them into which helps but means I have to constantly remove / add them when in and out of the charging pod.

Anyone else experienced the same frustrations?

Reactions: perezr10

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
....Issue 2
They simply will not stay in my ear. I’ve tried every bud they come bundled with and the same happens. Starts off ok then as soon as I start to mildly warm up they just keep falling out and I spend the whole workout just pushing them back in. I had to buy some silicone ear grips to put them into which helps but means I have to constantly remove / add them when in and out of the charging pod.

Well yes.. it's the very same issue that disturb me a lot. Even more because I deliberately looking for a workout earbuds. I don't really use AirPods that much, not during my office hours, or social hangouts. Even less so nowadays because of quarantine.

DO NOT buy AirPods Pro if you want to use it for workout. It stays in your ears during normal activities, but it won't during your workouts since the silicone gets slippery after you're sweating.

Either get Powerbeats Pro, or like me, a humble, regular Powerbeats if you still want H1 chip benefits. Or look for any other brands that's specifically designed for workouts (Jabra, Jaybird)

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I agree with both of your points. The first point I mitigated by using the Watch exclusively for control, but did take away some of the convinience (I have to stop and look at the screen vs just tapping)

The second one, it stays a bit better using the largest tip for me, but I still have to push them in once in a while.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
After having spent several days with my first ever AirPods Pro ... - have you tried tapping on these things like the AirPods 2? It's like taking a full forced slap to the ear - blowing out my eardrum. I think that's why they did the squeeze instead of tap. Tapping on these things hurts my ears.

That said, I much prefer the tap for next song that my AirPods 2 have.

I haven't tried to exercise in them but every in-ear headset I've had ends up hurting after an hour or two. First day was fine, but now second day and it's hurting my left ear after an hour or two in. This is weird because I sleep with earplugs without a problem. :/

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Issue 1
The squeeze vs Tap seems like a backwards move to me. I had the original AirPods for 3 years then upgraded. But when out running and I want to skip a track I have to fumble around trying to squeeze while at the same time trying to not knock the AirPod out my ear.

Yes! I feel the same way. For runners the double-tap just works. You don’t have to be precise. But grabbing that tiny little stem take a lot of focus. AND I seem to accidentally pull it out half the time because I’m bouncing up and down.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
As someone who has to wear gloves 6 months of the year for outdoor activities - the squeezing of the APP's is a lifesaver and really the reason I went with them and had to give up another brand which otherwise worked perfectly well - but tapping with gloves is way too hit or miss. Tried so many different gloves I could have bought 2 sets of APP's. Now I have too many gloves I'll never need ?

GigabitEthernet

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2013
United Kingdom
The problem with the squeeze gesture is it's not very easy to do when running. Tapping is much better for that, I kind of wonder why Apple couldn't have added both.

The ear tips are pretty rubbish and I wish Apple would design a foam one.

I'd stick with my AirPods 1st gen but they let in all the noise :(

Reactions: perezr10

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I still haven't run with my AirPods Pro. I much prefer the feel of the AirPods 2 when jogging. But yeah, after several days of usage, I can see that it would be difficult to do that action while jogging, especially at any speed.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Completely agree with all of your points. Now when I go out for a run or work in the yard I wear my original Airpods because they stay in the ear better and it's just easier with the double tap when I'm running or wearing heavy gloves.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I hope so. I really want to replace my AirPods with new pros.

Their great! Sold my first ones got the Sony WH XM3's for the better sound range, then sold those for AirPod's Pro again. The fit of the Pro's are much more comfortable, the IPX5 is seriously a NEED (Lots of rain this winter/spring in Toronto at that time), and the upcoming spatial audio is a First Step.

Apple's spatial audio will keep the sound in sync when you move your head. Initially I thought it would arrange sound in a still place and when you move your head you'd be able to pickup other sounds that were too quite: imagine this in a horror movie when watching on AppleTV+ or Netflix or Hulu from your iPhone or MBP/iMac/iPadPro?! Dolby support is there or coming. My original take or understanding of Apple's Spatial Audio (mentioned just prior) I think will be a second role out they'll do or they'll save it for the studio pro over ear models.

Reactions: The1andOnly

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
i understand the frustrations but I have a solution that I use. I’m sporting a Series 5TI watch and AirPods Pro. I’ve replaced the silicone ear tips with Pod Accessories foam tips. Comfort and stay in the ear issue solved. I walk 4 miles every morning (about 90 minutes) and here in Arizona even at 7 in the morning it is in the 90s so lots of sweat. Foam tips fit well, great noise canelllation and they stay in place.
As far as the tap vs squeeze to change music, I don’t even use it. My phone stays home and I have installed 225 songs to my watch so I simply raise my wrist to get Siri attention and ask for next song, stop music, volume up or down, make phone call etc. Watch is cellular/GPS. I don’t see everyone‘s problem.
My original AirPods are now my sons. He loves them and has no issues.

Jro29

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2017
Who are all of you that the original AirPods fit better than the Pros. It’s the complete opposite for me. Night and Day. The original had become unusable. I switched to the Powerbeats pro. I still use those for workouts, but the case is too bulky for everyday use.

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
Yeah, I hate having to squeeze the airpod vs just tapping. I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that was a stupid move by Apple.

I don't have any problems with them falling out of my ears though. They fit fine.

One problem I have is that one airpod will stop working at random times. So I will only have music coming out of one. Most of the time I just have to take them out and put them in the case to kind of "reset" and then it works again. But there have been several times where that doesn't work. And not only does it not work but it will cause BOTH of them to not work and be unable to connect to my iPhone. It's frustrating for as much as these things cost. I have an extra pair of Bose wired headphones that I leave at work just for this reason. After a while of just leaving them in the case they will work again and be able to connect to my phone.

Reactions: Hamster100

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I bought foam tips, and they're now completely secure in my ears even when working out.

My only issue is, the battery is not as consistent as my previous airpods(gen 2). Sometimes I'll get great battery life, other times it seems to drain quick. And this is on all three modes.

Hamster100

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2016
Completely agree with all of your points. Now when I go out for a run or work in the yard I wear my original Airpods because they stay in the ear better and it's just easier with the double tap when I'm running or wearing heavy gloves.

Yep I have now sold my AirPod Pro's and bought the AirPods 2nd Generation, and honestly, it feels like an upgrade from the Pros. I had the original Airpods but the 2nd Generation are much improved with the H1 chip and seamlessly connects between Watch, Mac & iPhone (much quicker than 1st Gen). On a run today, wearing a beanie I was able to gently tap the ear to control. With the Pros' this was not possible (as per my original post) adding Siri functionality too is great. (1st Gen didn't support that on Airpods).

For me personally, the 2nd Gen Airpods have everything I could want from wireless earphones. The Pro's although has noise cancelling, lacks the tap control and has a terrible fit. I am happy again!

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Yeah I’m really not happy that I can’t pause/play without either pulling out my phone or removing an AirPod. Another issue I’m having is Siri volume. My music is at a comfortable level but I can barely make out what she’s saying. I tried increasing the volume while she was talking thinking it would be separate like it is in my car but I just ended up blasting my already ravaged eardrums when the music came back.

Any suggestions on that one?

Hamster100

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2016
If Apple release a new version of the Pro’s which allow for tap functionality then I might consider them again and use ear tips to keep them in place. Otherwise how else can you skip a track if wearing a beanie? I just tap the side of my head and control without having to squeeze the stem in them. For now I’m still very happy with the AirPod 2nd Gen.

AXone1814

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2018
DO NOT buy AirPods Pro if you want to use it for workout. It stays in your ears during normal activities, but it won't during your workouts since the silicone gets slippery after you're sweating.
You do realise this won't be everyone experience right? Everyones ears shape/size/skin etc is all different so which earphones stay in will differ massively from person to person.

The AirPod Pros stay in for me 100% of time even during the most vigorous workouts, the regular AirPods stayed in well too but the Pros stay in a lot better (no movement at all).

Instead of trying to make out they aren't suitable for anyone planning to use them for workouts the better advice would be to make sure you try them out thoroughly during the 14 day return period to check they are suitable. Loads of people use them for workouts with no 'staying in' issues whatsoever.

Hansana

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2014
You do realise this won't be everyone experience right? Everyones ears shape/size/skin etc is all different so which earphones stay in will differ massively from person to person.

The AirPod Pros stay in for me 100% of time even during the most vigorous workouts, the regular AirPods stayed in well too but the Pros stay in a lot better (no movement at all).

Instead of trying to make out they aren't suitable for anyone planning to use them for workouts the better advice would be to make sure you try them out thoroughly during the 14 day return period to check they are suitable. Loads of people use them for workouts with no 'staying in' issues whatsoever.

Agreed. I have been using them to workout everyday since release day.

I have put foam tips in between the apple tips. So they don’t move at all. Also, zero issues in squeezing the stem.
973c1150f91276ed026aca9f8146a4ab.jpg

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

I understand everyone's ear is different. So, obviously perfect fit is a subjective matter. But neckband style wireless is always a safer option if you want to use it solely for workout. One of the bud knocked out for any reason, chance is it will be held back by the wire, instead of falling off, and then get smashed by a car.

Now if you feel fancy about true-wireless because it's the latest and greatest trend, then good for you. But neckband wire will always provide that extra safety guard to keep the bud falling off, regardless of how well AirPods Pro fits in your ears during your most vigorous workouts.

Another cons, AirPods battery life is way too weak by itself. Five hours when it's new, and expect to be much less along the way.

seanessey

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2004
I had the original AirPods and loved them and when the new Pros came out I decided to upgrade. But I’ve found these a little frustrating for the reasons below. I couldn’t fault the original pods so it’s a shame I’m not 100% satisfied with Apples new version

Issue 1
The squeeze vs Tap seems like a backwards move to me. I had the original AirPods for 3 years then upgraded. But when out running and I want to skip a track I have to fumble around trying to squeeze while at the same time trying to not knock the AirPod out my ear. For me this is a big miss and I realise the enhancements are welcome overall. This method and ease to skip will cause me no end of frustration.

Issue 2

I really struggled with keeping them in with a good seal. The new Comply tips have solved all my issues. Now I stick them in and they stay. It’s been a game changer for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.