Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Why are you returning the Air?

• Screen (dim - washed out - both)

Votes: 62 63.9%
  • CPU

Votes: 28 28.9%
  • GPU

Votes: 15 15.5%
  • Other - Please clarify in post

Votes: 19 19.6%

• Total voters

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
The nTB doesn’t have True Tone or the large color spectrum like the TB version. This “difference“ is being way over exaggerated. The Air maybe slightly dimmer but when using in everyday situations you won’t know any better unless doing some kind of editing.
I think you might be in the minority on this one. It’s not over exaggerating in my mind. I’d certainly see the difference in everyday situations....every time I looked at the screen. Take a look at this review for example. They describe the nMBP as being almost twice as bright in reality.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
I think you might be in the minority on this one. It’s not over exaggerating in my mind. I’d certainly see the difference in everyday situations....every time I looked at the screen. Take a look at this review for example. They describe the nMBP as being almost twice as bright in reality.

I had both... AIR is really solid... MBP is nice but not light years ahead like people make it seem.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
[...]Take a look at this review for example. They describe the nMBP as being almost twice as bright in reality.

Sorry, this is very over-exaggerated.

Borrowed the MBP Touch Bar for an evening last night, in order to compare with the new MBA side by side.

The MBA on full brightness is comparable to the MBP Touch Bar on -2 points from full brightness. Take that for what it's worth.

What I can say however, is that the display appeared very, very yellow, out of the box compared to the MBP.

I was ready to bring the MBA back, but then I tried calibrating the display by increasing the white point to >7500, as suggested by other users.

This actually improved it a lot! Made it very close to the MBP, in terms of color. Text looked sharper as well (I guess it's to do with contrast).

It's still not as good as the Pro, but it's now improved to the point where it's not really a problem for me.

Hope this helps someone else. :)

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011

It’s not me saying it, it’s laptop magazine reporting their findings based on the 2018 Air vs 2017 MBP they tested. The results they found
  • 2018 Air: Rated nits - 300, Tested nits - 234
  • 2017 MBP: Rated nits - 500, Tested nits - 458
  • Results: MBP Almost 2 times brighter (ie 95.7%)
You can’t characterize objective test results as an exaggeration. Almost every review I’ve seen is stating similar conclusions (ie the display is not very bright, etc...)...and I’m seeing the same thing with my own eyes.

Look, I’m not bashing the Air. I bought one (one of the $200 off models at Micro Center) and really wanted it to work for me. But it’s going back. The display is unacceptable for me. I can fully understand how the display can be acceptable for someone else though. However, there is no denying the fact that the display is the dimmest in Apples lineup for a modern display, colors are washed out and muted and contrast is low.....even when compared to the 12 inch MB. The real question is, can one overlook this “feature”? Some can....some can’t.

Last edited:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I agree. I’ve compared the 2018 air and nTB MBP side by side in 3 different Apple stores in Atlanta and a couple of Best Buy stores and the difference is dramatic in person. Every Air display I’ve seen appears dull, dim and with muted colors....even when compared to the 12 inch Macbook. I guess Apple just decided that the signature feature of the Air has always been the poor display...let’s keep the tradition alive!

This, especially this. I get it that the display is less than the rMBP displays. I don't understand why the rMBA display is noticeably behind the rMB.

Big Apple

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
I think with AC+ now if you don't buy it same day you also have to go through a remote check of your machine with Apple to make sure there is no damage before you get covered. I think that's my understanding with what I read. I'll know for sure in a few days.
On that note I've all but decided after 1 full week of ownership of the base model that I am going to keep mine. The nTB was brighter sitting in Best Buy but w/ the Microcenter price match and the fact the $150 off sale was done there was a $300 price difference so it is a no brainer for me.
In spirit with what is being talked about, I view anything in this price range as 3-4 year machines. With the expense of upgrading RAM and storage space plus un-upgradeable soldered components and faulty keyboards I wasn't gonna spend big money on one.
Spend the least amount on one with AC+, when AC+ ends sell it for what you can, buy another, rinse, repeat.

I went ahead and purchased it this morning (I was waiting to see if there were any issues that came up first within my 14 day return window). I did it through the support page and it was pretty straightforward. Entered serial number, and then let me purchase. I'll let you know if it asks for any additional steps (like remote check) once the order is processed.

ETA: Just got processed and coverage was applied with no additional steps. This may change closer to the 60 day cutoff but at least at the two week mark it was fine.

Last edited:

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
After all the feedback I have read from the new MBA 2018 I was very indecisive but last night I found what I think it's a pretty good deal at Dell.com and I ordered a XPS 13 9370 i7-8550U, 16GB RAM, FHD and 512GB for 1074eur + tax. I will miss the higher resolution of the MBA but in a 13" laptop is not a big difference and the XPS scree is very good from what I've heard. I just hope I haven't made a mistake ordering this Dell.

Aurora823

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
It’s not me saying it, it’s laptop magazine reporting their findings based on the 2018 Air vs 2017 MBP they tested. The results they found
  • 2018 Air: Rated nits - 300, Tested nits - 234
  • 2017 MBP: Rated nits - 500, Tested nits - 458
  • Results: MBP Almost 2 times brighter (ie 95.7%)
You can’t characterize objective test results as an exaggeration. Almost every review I’ve seen is stating similar conclusions (ie the display is not very bright, etc...)...and I’m seeing the same thing with my own eyes.

Look, I’m not bashing the Air. I bought one (one of the $200 off models at Micro Center) and really wanted it to work for me. But it’s going back. The display is unacceptable for me. I can fully understand how the display can be acceptable for someone else though. However, there is no denying the fact that the display is the dimmest in Apples lineup for a modern display, colors are washed out and muted and contrast is low.....even when compared to the 12 inch MB. The real question is, can one overlook this “feature”? Some can....some can’t.

Same here! Mine is going back today :/ I also got that good deal at micro center but the display brightness is just....sad. Really sad. I also compared the MacBook Air 2018 against a 2017 MacBook Pro and 2017 MacBook and was amazed at how crappy the lack of brightness made things (also how the screen almost looked to be a yellow tinge in comparison to the other two). I also put an older MacBook Air (my husband's laptop) next to the new one and that even seemed brighter.... It was hard to focus on words on the display because they seemed so faded and matte like and I always had the laptop up to almost max brightness (which made my battery drain super fast). It really was a bummer for me to have to make the decision to return it because I absolutely LOVE the form factor. I really wish Apple had focused more on making it the same brightness as their other laptops especially since it is not crazy difference in price anymore. I also miss many of the things about the original MacBook Air that made it so special. Not sure where Apple is going these days. I am becoming more and more attracted to the older generation products they put out not just because of the design and headphone jacks but because of prices of their products nowadays. I think many of us will be holding on to our older gadgets for an extended period of time.

sudaltsov

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2018
Lads, you keep talking about the screen, but what about the camera? Are you happy with it? It seems to be shockingly bad. Very very very low iso. Thinking about returning the device..

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Same here! Mine is going back today :/ I also got that good deal at micro center but the display brightness is just....sad. Really sad. I also compared the MacBook Air 2018 against a 2017 MacBook Pro and 2017 MacBook and was amazed at how crappy the lack of brightness made things (also how the screen almost looked to be a yellow tinge in comparison to the other two). I also put an older MacBook Air (my husband's laptop) next to the new one and that even seemed brighter.... It was hard to focus on words on the display because they seemed so faded and matte like and I always had the laptop up to almost max brightness (which made my battery drain super fast). It really was a bummer for me to have to make the decision to return it because I absolutely LOVE the form factor. I really wish Apple had focused more on making it the same brightness as their other laptops especially since it is not crazy difference in price anymore. I also miss many of the things about the original MacBook Air that made it so special. Not sure where Apple is going these days. I am becoming more and more attracted to the older generation products they put out not just because of the design and headphone jacks but because of prices of their products nowadays. I think many of us will be holding on to our older gadgets for an extended period of time.

I agree. It almost seems like the company is being run by an accountant... oh, wait...

Seriously though, how much more costly would 256GB drive be as standard, or the slightly brighter display or a slightly better camera. The more I think about, the Air is really full of compromises. Some of those compromises, like the screen, are in part due to the desire for the 12 hour battery life. When Apple researched the original Air that was the big selling point. It's part of the Air's DNA and I get it, but it should not come at the expense of the overall user experience in my opinion.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Lads, you keep talking about the screen, but what about the camera? Are you happy with it? It seems to be shockingly bad. Very very very low iso. Thinking about returning the device..

I've done a couple of Zoom sessions and have some concerns. I think I need to figure out how to A/B test that. Honestly, the 720p camera in the rMBA doesn't seem any better than the 480p camera in the rMB, and as an impression, feels well behind the 720p camera in my 2015 rMBA. Not a dealbreaker for me, but another annoyance?

sudaltsov

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2018
But why did they downgrade it so radically in the first place? I asked to replace but I do not expect the new device to be any better. Seems like a design choice (and we'll never know the reasons...)

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Sad. Apple is designing to get every last cent of profit. If someone actually wants a better quality they will have to spend more dollars. They could have easily made this one of their greatest laptops with decent profit at current price point.
[doublepost=1542840656][/doublepost]
I've done a couple of Zoom sessions and have some concerns. I think I need to figure out how to A/B test that. Honestly, the 720p camera in the rMBA doesn't seem any better than the 480p camera in the rMB, and as an impression, feels well behind the 720p camera in my 2015 rMBA. Not a dealbreaker for me, but another annoyance?
May be rated at 720p but are they using cheaper/inferior camera?

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I remember, trying to calibrate my MBA screen back in 2012. It improved a lot.

Borrowed the MBP Touch Bar for an evening last night, in order to compare with the new MBA side by side.

The MBA on full brightness is comparable to the MBP Touch Bar on -2 points from full brightness. Take that for what it's worth.

What I can say however, is that the display appeared very, very yellow, out of the box compared to the MBP.

I was ready to bring the MBA back, but then I tried calibrating the display by increasing the white point to >7500, as suggested by other users.

This actually improved it a lot! Made it very close to the MBP, in terms of color. Text looked sharper as well (I guess it's to do with contrast).

It's still not as good as the Pro, but it's now improved to the point where it's not really a problem for me.

Hope this helps someone else. :)

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Not sure where Apple is going these days. I am becoming more and more attracted to the older generation products they put out not just because of the design and headphone jacks but because of prices of their products nowadays. I think many of us will be holding on to our older gadgets for an extended period of time.

Exactly right. The company is either making incorrect compromises (too thin for proper cooling or adequate ports, butterfly keyboards), or is launching products with things users don't want (Touchbar, too little RAM or GB on base models).

JPH675

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016
Agreed.

First Mac was a 2009 white MacBook, great laptop in it's day! Remember Leopard and Snow Leopard? Then a 2011 MBP 17, which I still enjoy and use with 1 TB SSD and 16 GB RAM from OWC, and now this average at best 2015 rMB.

The Jobs era featured mostly the Mac with iOS starting to explode late in his career until he was done in 2011. Today, Apple's 2018Q4 $ revenue is 59% iPhone, 7% iPad [66% iOS] and 12% Mac. As someone pointed out, Apple is being run by accountants as they understand where their big revenue really originates as do app developers also understand; it is the iOS world.

I have come to understand the Apple Jobs Mac era is long gone and if I want to enjoy Mac OS X, I am forced to buy overpriced, very mediocre hardware from Apple replete with compromise and arguable design flaws.

It is what it is.

Aurora823

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2018
I agree. It almost seems like the company is being run by an accountant... oh, wait...

Seriously though, how much more costly would 256GB drive be as standard, or the slightly brighter display or a slightly better camera. The more I think about, the Air is really full of compromises. Some of those compromises, like the screen, are in part due to the desire for the 12 hour battery life. When Apple researched the original Air that was the big selling point. It's part of the Air's DNA and I get it, but it should not come at the expense of the overall user experience in my opinion.

Yes it really does feel as though the new Macbook Air is just riddled with compromises...a real shame :/ I actually pulled out my old 2011 Macbook Pro 15 inch today to see if it was dim compared to the new Macbook Air...I thought surely it would be because it is so much older...but amazingly it is still brighter and the colors seem more correct on my old Macbook Pro 15 inch.... just wow...I actually returned my MacBook Air to Microcenter last night - Great deal but I think I'll wait to see if Apple corrects things...I hope they do. I'd definitely repurchase one in the future if they corrected the screen brightness. I guess we will have to wait and see. On a side note I personally hope they start moving away from the Touch Bar on Macbook Pros and just implement the Touch ID. One good move they made on the new Macbook Air.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Yes it really does feel as though the new Macbook Air is just riddled with compromises...a real shame :/ I actually pulled out my old 2011 Macbook Pro 15 inch today to see if it was dim compared to the new Macbook Air...I thought surely it would be because it is so much older...but amazingly it is still brighter and the colors seem more correct on my old Macbook Pro 15 inch.... just wow...I actually returned my MacBook Air to Microcenter last night - Great deal but I think I'll wait to see if Apple corrects things...I hope they do. I'd definitely repurchase one in the future if they corrected the screen brightness. I guess we will have to wait and see. On a side note I personally hope they start moving away from the Touch Bar on Macbook Pros and just implement the Touch ID. One good move they made on the new Macbook Air.

I actually really like the Touch Bar and don't quite understand why so many don't. I personally think the Touch Bar is the first step toward all glass keyboard. Apple is obsessed with making everything thinner... I would not be shocked if they had an all glass keyboard with haptic feedback engine built in to simulate typing on physical keyboard somewhere in the lab. It seems like the next logical step at reducing the size requirement of a keyboard.

Reactions: Isamilis

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I actually really like the Touch Bar and don't quite understand why so many don't. I personally think the Touch Bar is the first step toward all glass keyboard. Apple is obsessed with making everything thinner... I would not be shocked if they had an all glass keyboard with haptic feedback engine built in to simulate typing on physical keyboard somewhere in the lab. It seems like the next logical step at reducing the size requirement of a keyboard.

It’s been done, check the Lenovo YogaBook series, and no thanks!

It is harder to touch type on non-physical keys. The feedback is worse (non existant on Touch Bar), more chance of typo’s and a flat actuation point which makes it worse for typing fast or comfort. Just compare writing a long email on your iPhone to a MacBook.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Went to the Apple Store today and comparing the 2018 rMBPs next to the rMBAs was just too painful. Left the store with a 2018 13" rMBP at $200 off. The rMBA goes back next week. I really wanted to love the rMBP but I process photos and the display is just not going to cut it.

Reactions: iMi

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Went to the Apple Store today and comparing the 2018 rMBPs next to the rMBAs was just too painful. Left the store with a 2018 13" rMBP at $200 off. The rMBA goes back next week. I really wanted to love the rMBP but I process photos and the display is just not going to cut it.

Seeing them side by side in the store is what sealed the deal for me, too. Enjoy your new machine!

Reactions: newellj

JPH675

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2016

Seeing them side by side in the store is what sealed the deal for me, too. Enjoy your new machine!

Going to go the route you guys went; really want to like the MBA but have to first see if I can live with that display, if not, tbMBP like you both now have. I have the 21" LG UltraFine monitor Apple sells, which I use at home so that might help. We'll see...

Reactions: iMi

sudaltsov

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2018
MBP is so heavy... even new Air is massive after my good old 11".... But that does not excuse them putting **** into new Airs

Last edited by a moderator:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
MBP is so heavy... even new Air is massive after my good old 11".... But that does not excuse them putting **** into new Airs

Where I started was a 2015 rMPB (3.5 pounds) and a 2017 rMB (2 pounds). Managing two laptops was do-able but unnecessary, so I wanted the rMBA to be the one. 2.75 pounds was a good compromise between those two machines.

The rMBA had some compromises I didn't like, especially the display, although it had some other very attractive features. What I need to decide is whether I want to go back to having one laptop that's a MBP. My commute includes a lot of walking and the difference between 3.5 and 2 pounds was very noticeable. Need to see how 3 pounds, which is a different compromise, works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

micqo

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
I'm coming from 2016 MBP and yes, screen is a little bit dim but not bad! It´s okay, and I think its better that screen is not too light like oled - my eyes say thanks! I just tested to change screen options. If u choose "Rec. ITU-R BT.709-5" - its like my old MBP - more lighter and more deeper colors… Love my MBA!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.