Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
So will all the people complaining they want a touch screen mac finally shut up and buy this? Probably not because as much as everyone "SAYS" they want a touch screen mac, they would soon find out it sucks.
But mostly because this is way less convenient than an actual touchscreen, and is probably way less accurate too.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Why just the MBA?? Surely MBP (or even 12" MB) users might want to use this too, especially 2016/2017 owners.

Weird device limitation.

EDIT: their FAQ says it currently requires 17mm of space below the screen.

FromTheWild

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
Wiltshire UK
The trackpad on Surface keyboards isn't that great. If it had one as large and as nice as the MacBook Pro's (which are the best on the market, really), I can't see reaching up to the screen to manipulate a spreadsheet. And I find it hard to believe you would either.

Oh, I agree 100%, I'd hate to use it create any work, but there are instances I'd love to have that choice of interaction, even if rarely.

As nice as the touch bar looks, it leads me to feel its a stubborn fix. Like mentioned after using it for a good hour last week, I caught myself reaching up to interact with the screen knowing fully it's not active.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Nobody's grimy, greasy, sticky fingers are gonna touch my screen not now not ever.

FromTheWild

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
Wiltshire UK
In truth, I purchased a refurbished 2015 MacBook Pro, back when they were still available, specifically to avoid the dongle hell of the newer Mac laptops. :cool:

Yes, my own MacBook Pro is an early 2014 version 13"), honestly, it's best Mac I've ever owned and I don't feel I need to upgrade for a while yet either....well until a Mac with 16mb Ram becomes sensible priced.

Reactions: Westside guy

jblagden

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2013
In truth, I purchased a refurbished 2015 MacBook Pro, back when they were still available, specifically to avoid the dongle hell of the newer Mac laptops. :cool:
So, you traded Ethernet for HDMI. Considering that we mostly use Wi-Fi at this point in time, that's a good trade-off. I would say that you lost your Firewire port, but that's not a problem since the computer industry ditched Firewire a few years ago.

Reactions: Westside guy

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I would say that you lost your Firewire port, but that's not a problem since the computer industry ditched Firewire a few years ago.

I actually have some older hard drives which have a Firewire 800 port. Fortunately it wasn't the only interface... they also have (the slower) USB 2.

I suppose I shouldn't say that USB 2 is slower, since the maximum bit rate for Firewire 800 with my current laptop is 0bps. :p

Reactions: jblagden

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I hope they can eventually make these devices for all MacBook models. I understand that some people want touch screens on their Macs, but I really don't want macOS redesigned for finger input. That inevitably means bigger UI elements and less screen real estate for information. Something like this AirBar seems to be a good compromise for people who want touch capability now.

So will all the people complaining they want a touch screen mac finally shut up and buy this? Probably not because as much as everyone "SAYS" they want a touch screen mac, they would soon find out it sucks.
Well considering how you need to have a 13" MBA to use this, that will certainly limit the pool...

I do happen to be a 13" MBA owner and, while I'm not hugely outspoken about whether Macs should have touchscreens or not, I generally think it's good to allow the choice. For a couple of reasons 1) there are some instances where touch is useful 2) the more touch centric our technology becomes (especially with the children who were raised on iPhones and iPads) the more backwards the Mac is going to seem to not have the capability.

I don't currently have plans to get this device mainly for 3 reasons 1) the Mac UI/UX is not designed for touch 2) this particular device will likely be wonky in various ways 3) I'm actually moving myself away from my Mac towards the iPad Pro. For my needs the iPad is all I really need. My current plan is to use my 2013 MBA until it dies ( hoping to get another 4-6 years or so out of it) and then I'll be all iPad. But of course who knows what the tech landscape (or my life) will be in 6 years....

Side note: I have never ONCE felt the urge to touch the screen on my MBA, but the last few times I went to the Apple store I had the urge to touch the MBP screens (ok maybe I actually did touch it a couple of times...). I'm not sure if it's because of the similarity to my iPad (retina display, black bezels, etc) or just because my brain thinks "oh this is the new Apple stuff, of course it is a touch screen".

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
This is absolutely useless. When will people learn that touch screen laptops don't work unless you are able to detach the screen in which case it's just a tablet...
I am quite accomplished with, and comfortable using, the trackpad on my MBP. Despite that, on occasion (particularly when I've recently been using my iPad), I find myself putting my finger on the screen to select/move/change something, before realizing that doesn't work.

A touchscreen on a laptop is absolutely not useless. If Apple made the MBP screen an iPhone-caliber touchscreen while keeping the multitouch trackpad, I would certainly not complain. I'd use it along with the trackpad and keyboard. For some things it would be quite useful.

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
Great concept, if extremely limited in execution. Not for me, as I have no want for fingerprints on my screen (Yes, I know you don't NEED to touch the screen) and think a touch screen on a laptop is just not worth the effort.

100% agree
[doublepost=1500419307][/doublepost]
I am quite accomplished with, and comfortable using, the trackpad on my MBP. Despite that, on occasion (particularly when I've recently been using my iPad), I find myself putting my finger on the screen to select/move/change something, before realizing that doesn't work.

A touchscreen on a laptop is absolutely not useless. If Apple made the MBP screen an iPhone-caliber touchscreen while keeping the multitouch trackpad, I would certainly not complain. I'd use it along with the trackpad and keyboard. For some things it would be quite useful.

The last thing I'd want to see is a Mac with a touch screen, for people who use them purely for private use maybe, but when you're using a Mac on a professional basis for editing, creating graphics of some kind, then the last thing you want is not only you're fugly fingerprints on your screen, but everyone else's also who'd come up and think it's playtime on your screen.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I don't care for a touchscreen, but if others want one - so be it. But in watching the video it looked like there was some pretty visible lag at times....like writing "hello!" at the end for example.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Some of us prefer OS X over iOS because it has fewer limitations.

Of course. But my point was simply that touchscreen Macs wouldn't cannibalize iPads, or vice versa, if they offer different user experiences in the form of different OSs.
[doublepost=1500425905][/doublepost]
Lolwut????
This article is about how you CAN now have the option of touchscreen on the Mac, using this new product.

Clearly he means out of the box rather than with a peripheral.
[doublepost=1500426066][/doublepost]
I'll never understand the appeal of a touch screen laptop.

I don't use the touchscreen on my laptop that much, but I'm glad it's there when I do use it. I don't think I would want to go back to a laptop that lacks this feature. Sometimes it's just really easy and natural to tap or swipe something on the screen rather than moving a cursor to it.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Of course. But my point was simply that touchscreen Macs wouldn't cannibalize iPads, or vice versa, if they offer different user experiences in the form of different OSs.
[doublepost=1500425905][/doublepost]

But, they’d need yet ANOTHER operating system for the product you describe (or a roughly 5 year revamp of macOS, optimized somehow for touch without losing the mouse optimization either...with a huge amount of growing pains along the way; as we’ve seen in the MS journey from the painfully bad, Windows 8 experience, to the current Windows 10).

I have no reason to disbelieve Tim, Phil, and Craig- they’ve seemed very logical & earnest the dozens of times they’ve discussed this repeating each time that in all their attempts to marry the two interfaces, they just come up with “Windows 8”... a worse OS for a desktop than Windows 7 was, and about the worst tablet OS imaginable! (not lightweight; needing less resources- which is the FUNDAMENTAL concern in a tablet OS, since they’ll have weaker processors than desktops)

Your lot is calling for the ENTIRE ecosystem to take a hit, usability-wise & GUI-wise, to feed the desire of an incredibly small subset of Mac users.
Ffs, here it is- a flipping product that gives you what you want!
Is there any reason NOT to be satisfied with this new peripheral??
It absolutely MUST be foisted on the rest of us, who don’t want it- for you to be happy??

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The real problem is that Mac OS isn't made for Touch Screens

That doesn't make it a problem. That makes it a design by choice with Apple. It would Only be a problem if Apple implemented a touchscreen for macOS and realized later it was a failure or a poor implementation By design.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
This is absolutely useless. When will people learn that touch screen laptops don't work unless you are able to detach the screen in which case it's just a tablet...
Such a shame they didn't ask you - they could have saved a lot of time and money. I'm sure that if you let them know, they'll take it off the market. Make sure you also tell anyone who has bought it and is using it, so that they can see that they are wrong and return it.

(Quick rule of thumb - if someone makes a product and someone else buys it - then someone finds it useful).

Reactions: longpath

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2013
Rent-free in your head
Such a shame they didn't ask you - they could have saved a lot of time and money. I'm sure that if you let them know, they'll take it off the market. Make sure you also tell anyone who has bought it and is using it, so that they can see that they are wrong and return it.

(Quick rule of thumb - if someone makes a product and someone else buys it - then someone finds it useful).
Ah yes the whole "if someone buys it, it must be useful to someone" argument. You do understand that loads of people buy things without knowing its usefulness, right? There are thousands of products which people buy every day that are useless unbeknownst to them. You can literally buy a pack of "nothing" online, it's literally packaging with nothing inside, yet people still buy it.

I've yet to find anyone here who actually gains anything from this product...
[doublepost=1500460694][/doublepost]
For You. Useless for you.
So let's hear its usefulness, go on, give me something that this AirBar's "touch screen" will beat the trackpad in

longpath

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
I'm surprised that they assert that it will only work with the 13" MacBook Air, when the prerequisite bezel space is also in the older 13" MBP w/ Optical Drive.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
Now show me on the MacBook Air where the man touched you, Jimmy.

This is nothing but a gimmick, if you ask me.

Anderton

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
Sweden
Remember my Neonode phone back in the days. It was the closest thing to an iPhone before the actual iPhone. Touchscreen, gestures, apps, swipe to unlock.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
looks like this particular solution sucks a bit - but i'd like apple to build touchscreen-function ootb into their macs. not for use as a main input device - because you'd get arm-fatigue, and osx is not really built for this - but just for the occasions, when you reach for the screen and nothing happens (just ask every two-year-old). makes as much sense or non-sense as that touch-bar nobody asked for.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

People will never learn that because it's not true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.