Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...jumbo-story,0,1847929.story?coll=chi-news-hed

And it flew directly over my house! :eek:

n31403246_31072832_9555.jpg

It was a very impressive sight. I was watching it live on WGN 9 News and I'm like, hey, maybe I'll be able to see it in the distance from my front door (faces general direction of O'Hare which is about 10 miles north). So I grabbed my camera, walked outside and heard a tremendous roar, looked up, and there it was! What a lucky shot...

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
I actually saw it at the Farnborough international air show. Lovely plane others may disagree). The degree of turn that it can do is phenomenal for its size. Me like it

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Fantastic picture, dpaanlka. I agree it's quite the sight, at least from what I can tell from my non-live views of it.

It doesn't seem as though it's catching on here vs. the 787, though, which is surprising because America is generally all about the "bigger".

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Fantastic picture, dpaanlka. I agree it's quite the sight, at least from what I can tell from my non-live views of it.

It doesn't seem as though it's catching on here vs. the 787, though, which is surprising because America is generally all about the "bigger".

I think the 787 is both higher tech and fits a wider variety of routes. The A380 is prestigious, but really only practical on a smaller number of routes. That is my understanding anyway.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I can understand having a bigger plane ='s more people but do airline companies plan on putting new features. I would love like a small cabin with beds for really long flights like from LA to Sidney or from JFK to China :eek:

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
But twice as many of them.

-dpaanlka

I've yet to see a US airport report that they will, or can load/unload passengers with more than one door on this plane. They've had tough enough a job retrofitting the jetways to reach as high as they have to.

If that changes, well then, so will my opinion.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I can understand having a bigger plane ='s more people but do airline companies plan on putting new features. I would love like a small cabin with beds for really long flights like from LA to Sidney or from JFK to China :eek:

So would I -- but if that cabin takes the space of 4 or 5 seats, would you be willing to pay 5x as much for it? I sure wouldn't.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I've yet to see a US airport report that they will, or can load/unload passengers with more than one door on this plane. They've had tough enough a job retrofitting the jetways to reach as high as they have to.

SFO is prepared to board through two doors at six gates in the International Terminal...the terminal was designed with this sort of plane in mind. Singapore Airlines, the first A380 customer, would prefer three-door loading, but they're okay with two doors.

NightFlight

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Virginia
That's a biiiig plane! Great shot BTW :)

I used to fly to Frankfurt 3 or more times a year and I was amazed when the 777 was introduced. I love the old 747s though, I flew Clipper Class with Pan Am all the time.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
SFO is prepared to board through two doors at six gates in the International Terminal...the terminal was designed with this sort of plane in mind. Singapore Airlines, the first A380 customer, would prefer three-door loading, but they're okay with two doors.

-WildCowboy

Well then, opinion is being reviewed... :)

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Ask and ye shall learn. Thanks. ;)

I'd heard that Airbus was having difficulty marketing these behemoths, but it looks like they've got a significant number of orders, and Singapore Airlines might start flying them this year.

By comparison, Boeing has 490 firm orders for the 787

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Airbus is taking a huge risk with this plane. They delayed the A350 which would compete with the 787. So Boeing will have no competition for awhile against the 787. The 747-8 takes cues from the 787 like the engines, interior, some composite materials, etc. The 747-8 has a new wing design. As impressive as the A380 is, the only magnificent about it is its size. I don't think it will have an impact in the industry as the 747 did. I think it will be an overall failure for Airbus. They might get orders for the plane, but it will take a long time if ever to recoup the costs of development of the plane. Not to mention the possible consequences of delaying other vital planes like the A350. So while Airbus works on the A350, Boeing can work on the 737 replacement.

PS: Airbus doesn't have anymore freight orders for the A380. UPS and Fedex cancelled their orders.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
By comparison, Boeing has 490 firm orders for the 787

Yikes... quite a difference.

Hasn't the 747 gone over 1,000 deliveries in the past 35 years? At this rate, how long would Airbus take to get the A380 to the success level of the 747?

EDIT: 1,380 Boeing 747s have been built as of 2006, according to Wikipedia.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Yikes... quite a difference.

Hasn't the 747 gone over 1,000 deliveries in the past 35 years? At this rate, how long would Airbus take to get the A380 to the success level of the 747?

EDIT: 1,380 Boeing 747s have been built as of 2006, according to Wikipedia.

The 747's success really has to be measured in its life-span. I can't think of another airliner, except for the 737, which existed at the time the first 747s were put in service, and are still being built in some configuration.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
None for British Airways. Quite the surprise. Oh wait, no, this is the same British Airways that didn't want to take Concorde out of service but wouldn't sell them all to Richard Branson if he agreed to work with them to sort out the problems. ****-whits!

Singapore airlines have 19 on order, now there is a brilliant example of an Airline! Best I've ever been on, and ive done a lot of flying in my humble and so far short life.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
A300s are getting pretty up there in terms of life span aren't they?

Wikipedia said:
Launched in 1972...the A300 (along with the A310) will cease production in July 2007.

None for British Airways. Quite the surprise. Oh wait, no, this is the same British Airways that didn't want to take Concorde out of service but wouldn't sell them all to Richard Branson if he agreed to work with them to sort out the problems. ****-whits!

It would have been nice if they'd have kept VC-10s in luxury service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.