Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
So when I get on a plane like I do frequently I can easily turn on AP mode? I love it.

----------

If you don't like it turn control center off.

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
1. Requiring a passcode to turn off the phone accomplishes nothing. There will always be a way to reboot the phone by pressing hardware buttons. This is necessary for crashes (where you won't be able to enter your passcode).

2. If you can reboot your phone, you can put it into DFU mode to prevent it from connecting to the Internet. This is done by rebooting, then holding the power and home buttons in a certain combination.

3. Disable Voice Dial from Settings>Touch ID & Passcode. Someone that steals your phone can call 611 (if on ATT) and go through a few automated prompts and disconnect cell service.

4. I disable Voice Dial and Control Center from the lock screen so people can't *easily* take the phone offline. They will either have to put it into DFU mode, or take out the SIM card and walk away from known Wi-Fi access areas. Most criminals of opportunity won't have the know-how or the tools (a paperclip) to take these steps. That usually will give you enough time to find a computer and remote-wipe or find the phone from iCloud.com.

5. Make sure you have the "Erase Data" setting enabled to lock out someone that is trying to brute force your password. Realistically, this takes about 2 days because after 5 attempts there is an increasingly long delay on how long you have to wait for the next attempt.

6. Enable Find My iPhone. If somebody steals your iPhone and it's locked with a good passcode and Touch ID, they will never be able to activate it for their own use. If the phone gets reset, it won't work until your Apple ID username/password is typed into it.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
So when I get on a plane like I do frequently I can easily turn on AP mode? I love it.

----------

If you don't like it turn control center off.

The discussion has evolved since the original post.

Plus surely a more suitable option would be to allow configuration of what appears in control centre.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
1. Requiring a passcode to turn off the phone accomplishes nothing. There will always be a way to reboot the phone by pressing hardware buttons. This is necessary for crashes (where you won't be able to enter your passcode).

2. If you can reboot your phone, you can put it into DFU mode to prevent it from connecting to the Internet. This is done by rebooting, then holding the power and home buttons in a certain combination.

3. Disable Voice Dial from Settings>Touch ID & Passcode. Someone that steals your phone can call 611 (if on ATT) and go through a few automated prompts and disconnect cell service.

4. I disable Voice Dial and Control Center from the lock screen so people can't *easily* take the phone offline. They will either have to put it into DFU mode, or take out the SIM card and walk away from known Wi-Fi access areas. Most criminals of opportunity won't have the know-how or the tools (a paperclip) to take these steps. That usually will give you enough time to find a computer and remote-wipe or find the phone from iCloud.com.

5. Make sure you have the "Erase Data" setting enabled to lock out someone that is trying to brute force your password. Realistically, this takes about 2 days because after 5 attempts there is an increasingly long delay on how long you have to wait for the next attempt.

6. Enable Find My iPhone. If somebody steals your iPhone and it's locked with a good passcode and Touch ID, they will never be able to activate it for their own use. If the phone gets reset, it won't work until your Apple ID username/password is typed into it.
Pretty sure the erase data setting doesn't really have much to do with locking someone out for longer and longer periods of time if they keep on inputting the wrong passcode--that happens even when the erase data option isn't enabled.

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
So odd thing is that I can access my control center when locked but this is option is both turned off and grayed out in settings. Weird.

Edit: Now I can't, but it just worked once...even weirder.

wonslung

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
I never let my phone out of my hands or pocket except when it is charging. It's a useful feature for me.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Honestly, I don't understand the point of any of the "access on lock screen" options if you have a phone with Touch ID. Why enable this if turning on and unlocking the phone is basically just one step anyway? I barely see the lock screen anymore.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Honestly, I don't understand the point of any of the "access on lock screen" options if you have a phone with Touch ID. Why enable this if turning on and unlocking the phone is basically just one step anyway? I barely see the lock screen anymore.
Potentially from the point of view of what someone else might have access to.

wonslung

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
The only positive thing I can say about your post is congratulations on your post count increasing by one. :)

I don't see the issue. It's a feature you can disable if you don't find it useful. We could have a meaningful discussion on whether or not it should be enabled by default but declaring it stupid on spec is short sighted. Just because you don't find it useful doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.