Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

AirPlay Functionality Apparently Removed From iPhone 3G

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

9 to 5 Mac reports that iPhone 3G owners have been struck with yet another blow, this time with the apparent removal of AirPlay functionality in the golden master version of iOS 4.2. The feature had been functional on the iPhone 3G in earlier developer builds, but appears to have been removed in the homestretch.
After speaking to multiple developers and users testing out the iOS 4.2 betas, we have determined that AirPlay did in fact work on the iPhone 3G at one point, meaning the AirPlay functionality was definitely removed from Apple's two-year-old iPhone at its GM stage.
The report notes that Apple's product page for the Apple TV claims that AirPlay functionality is coming on "all iOS 4 devices", but the company has apparently changed its mind about iPhone 3G compatibility for unknown reasons.

The change is not the first to see the iPhone 3G lose access to a feature that had been enabled in the development process. Early developer builds of iOS 4.1 offered access to Game Center functionality for all iOS 4-compatible devices, but Apple later disabled the feature for the iPhone 3G and second-generation iPod touch before finally restoring compatibility for the second-generation iPod touch but leaving it out of the public release for the iPhone 3G.

Article Link: AirPlay Functionality Apparently Removed From iPhone 3G

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Read between the lines people.... Apple Consumer Electronics want you to upgrade and they will withhold features and give buggy software to make you do it.

Comment

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
Just wondering, do you need WiFi to do AirPlay? And Apple TV for that matter? I'm trying to come up with a Christmas list and I'd love to be able to put movies on my iPhone/iTunes on my TV, but my dorm doesn't have a router.

More on topic, that kind of sucks for 3G users. Not sure what the real reason for a removal is, other than maybe it just wasn't powerful enough to stream it smoothly? I'm not a genius on the subject (as you can tell :D).

Comment

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

Time to upgrade folks. The phone was discontinued months ago. What did you expect?

Comment

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

Time to upgrade folks. The phone was discontinued months ago. What did you expect?

I guess they expected it in the final release since Apples product page said they would have it

Comment

Jonny Skyves

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2010
M25
Oh no... here we go again.

A load of people complaining that their 2-3 year old piece of kit don't work with software features coming out later.

Probably the same people who moan when a better tariff/plan comes from their mobile provider AFTER they have made their contracts...

Comment

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
If I keep my 3G any longer, I'm afraid Apple will eventually remove the phone-call feature and I will have to pony up for a new unit. I wish I were made of money...

Comment

ouimetnick

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts

A load of people complaining that their 2-3 year old piece of kit don't work with software features coming out later.

Probably the same people who moan when a better tariff/plan comes from their mobile provider AFTER they have made their contracts...

Except that people buying an iPhone for the 1st time may have chose an iPhone 3G back in late May or early June (they don't know about the rumors) and now there 5 month old iPhone 3G is wicked slow, and can't even run anything.

Comment

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Man, what is with this site and horrible, unrelated analogies?

Comment

Bodypainter

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
it would be possible to use airplay on the iphone 3g, but hey! apple wants to SELL, so why allowing something, when you can pressure the user to upgrade to a new iphone which helps apples shareholder to get more money!

is apple on the side of their loyal users? OBVIOUSLY NOT!!!

Last edited:
Comment

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple

What to expect? Oh, I don't know, perhaps a company not spewing lies and conflations? For example, Apple Consumer Electronics talks a good game with the 'environmental scorecard', but part of conservation is to expand the lifetime of current devices, thereby preventing new devices from being manufactured. Rather than doing this, and prolonging the lifetime of devices, they have done the opposite and targeted them with buggy software that effectively makes them unusable.

Comment

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
But I am mad! My wife and I are not eligible for an upgrade with O2 until April 2011. That means we were sold iphones less than 2 years. Forget when the 3G first came out, we were sold 3Gs by the exclusive iphone supplier less than 2 years ago. In this age of resource conservation, for that reason alone I think Apple's decisions not to maintain phones sold less than 2 years ago with FULL support sucks! Just to point out, the iphones were sold to us less than two years ago. Less than two years ... <2 years! ;)

Actually, with ios 4.2 GM on my iphone it sucks anyway, slow and without most of the important features such as multitasking. Less than two years!

BTW, the 3G was the ONLY iphone available when we bought them!

Comment

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
iPhone 3G still does everything it was originally sold with. Should I be mad that Honda started offering built-in Bluetooth capability the year after I bought my Civic and won't backport the feature to older models? I can still drive the car. The iPhone 3G can still make calls.

Comment

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
You've got to always have the latest hardware. If you don't even have a 3GS by now...something's wrong. You can't ride your investment that long. You rent each iteration for about a year or two.

Comment

PowerGamerX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
Total bull. Considering it was on sale earlier this year. Worst part is that we know it WAS compatible and usable, Apple just decided to remove it. They'll probably put out some BS statement like "It didn't work well enough". You know over the last 4 years through the Intel transition, I've been increasingly disappointed with Apple.

Not saying Intel does bad things, but Apple's not doing good things since the transition.

Next year, back to the ThinkPad for me.

Comment

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
But I am mad! My wife and I are not eligible for an upgrade with O2 until April 2011. That means we were sold iphones less than 2 years. Forget when the 3G first came out, we were sold 3Gs by the exclusive iphone supplier less than 2 years ago. In this age of resource conservation, for that reason alone I think Apple's decisions not to maintain phones sold less than 2 years ago with FULL support sucks! Just to point out, the iphones were sold to us less than two years ago. Less than two years ... <2 years! ;)

Actually, with ios 4.2 GM on my iphone it sucks anyway, slow and without most of the important features such as multitasking. Less than two years!

BTW, the 3G was the ONLY iphone available when we bought them!

tip for buying apple stuff next time, buy it at the very start of a product cycle. i told my wife the same thing when she got her 3G 4 months before the 3GS was supposed to be announced

she's on a 4 now and i'll probably get 4-5 years use out of that 3G by the time it's time to say goodbye.

Comment

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Read between the lines people.... Apple Consumer Electronics want you to upgrade and they will withhold features and give buggy software to make you do it.

As long as the phone (or whatever device) does what it is advertised to do when it comes out I don't think it's a bad thing. I think iOS 4 should never have been available for the 3G (Apple didn't try to make it work on the original iPhone, they should have just released it for 3GS (and iPhone 4 of course)

This is why I like my 1st gen iPhone 2G ... I don't have to worry about all these compatibility issues. I am confident is not compatible.

My cousin still has an original iPhone, he rarely connects it to iTunes and doesn't really do much beyond make calls, a little web surfing, Weather and Maps. He doesn't have any apps and doesn't even miss the newer features that people with iPhone 4s or 3GSs take for granted, doesn't even know about new stuff coming out like AirPlay.

You've got to always have the latest hardware. If you don't even have a 3GS by now...something's wrong. You can't ride your investment that long. You rent each iteration for about a year or two.

Why should someone HAVE to upgrade their phone? I had a 3G and upgraded to 4 on release date, but I did not feel I had to. The 3G still works fine I just wanted something newer (and my work pays for the service, so the cost is not an issue but if they didn't I may not have upgraded!)

I sold my 3G on eBay just a little while ago and was able to get $300 for it (same price I paid: 16GB White) so that may help people who can't afford to just buy a new phone every year. If you consider the purchase and service of an iPhone a "rental" you have a horrible grasp on your finances or no clue that there are a lot of people who do have to consider theirs.

Last edited:
Comment

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
But the iPhone 3G still does what it did when you originally bought it?

More even... Right?

Comment

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC

No offense, but that's a ridiculous statement. Something's wrong because people aren't willing to pay for each year's iteration of the iPhone? Some people have better and more important things to do with their money than buying new Apple products every year.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.