All iPads Airplay HDMI dongle?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by scupking, Nov 6, 2013.

1. scupking macrumors 6502a

It would be nice if Apple made an airplay hdmi dongle. I have an appleTV but it would be nice to go over relatives or friends houses and stream photos and videos from my ipad without needing an appleTV.

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

3. scupking thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Take your Apple TV with you? Oh, how about Google's Chromecast? I'm not exactly sure how that works, but perhaps it does what you want. Worth looking into, I think.

5. miscrap macrumors newbie

6. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

How is what you're asking for different from an AppleTV? You'd still need to plug a dongle in to the relative's TV, and plug the power cord in to the wall (this is how Chromecast works).

7. scupking thread starter macrumors 6502a

It would be nice to have a little HDMI dongle without needing to plug a power source into it. Just run off the power from the HDMI port.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

HDMI doesn't have power.

9. scupking thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

The Chromecast has to get power from something. I'll bet HDMI provides a small amount of power, similar to USB. (Researching...) Yep, it does.

http://www.interfacebus.com/HDMI_Pinout_Bus.html

----------

Be sure to find software compatible with that device. It looks very Android-specific, even though the description shows iOS support. It appears to be DLNA-based, meaning that you can't directly broadcast your screen to the TV like you can with the AppleTV. You might as well just take your AppleTV with you.

11. zhenya, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Certain revisions do. In most cases the Chromecast needs its usb cable for power. They just don't advertise that in their pretty pictures.

12. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

13. Julien, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Female HDMI doesn't have power. The power (pin 18 5V/50ma) MUST come from the device and into the female HDMI plug (no power out).

Chromecast MUST be plugged into a power source since HDMI can not provide power.

EDIT: Also the power (if it's direction was the other way) at 0.25 watts would be woefully insufficient to run any radio device.

14. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Its called the APple TV :rolleyes:

anything else would likely just be a device thats about the same size and cost the same amount but with less features... might as well just pick up your apple TV and take it with you

15. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

chrome cast can either use its power supply (shown above) or via USB port (if the TV has one)

16. donnaw macrumors 65816

This. I have one and have it plugged into a USB port on my TV

17. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

It still requires the cable in the back.

18. donnaw macrumors 65816

I don't understand your post. The ChromeCast dongle is plugged right into the HDMI port. I have the USB cable plugged into the dongle and then plugged into a USB port that is immediately under the HDMI port. Is that what you meant?

My understanding is that some of the newer TVs have HDMI ports that supply power. But my TV is several years old.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm not the poster you were talking to, but I did have a problem with the Chromecast promotion pictures all showing just the unit only, while in reality, in order to use it, you have to attach the USB cable -- either to a port on the TV or to the power adapter. The cable looks like it increases the bulk of the setup quite a bit.

20. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

The newest revision of hdmi provides power. Newer TVs can indeed power the chromecast through HDMI. No other connection is required in those cases.

21. donnaw macrumors 65816

I understand. I was confused at first too but I read the reviews before I bought it so I knew what to expect. I don't have to use the long cord so for my TV, it's really very neat but if your USB ports are not close it could get messy. But as I said, apparently some new TVs have powered HDMI ports so that's nice. But I'm not about to go buy a new TV just for that. Mine is hidden so I really only care about messy cables when I get back there to clean so I would have been ok even with using the power cord. After all, logically the dongle must have power.

22. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

23. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Are you doing this? Because according to HDMI.org it is not part of the HDMI 1.4 spec. 5V 50ma which is only 0.25watts (source only) is insufficient to power a transmitter.