Airplay In Car?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Passels, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Passels macrumors member

Is there any other method to getting Airplay to work in the car?

The only way i have thought of so far is to hook up and airport express to a 12v converter in the car, then run a mini plug into the aux jack. Would be nice if they made something that plugged right into the ipod integration system.

2. LiquidThunderLT macrumors member

It would be awesome if they worked with car manufacturers to enable airplay support in factory systems, could even do video to rear seat screens etc. Would be a killer feature.

3. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

wouldn't you first need a wireless network? Perhaps this will be a BT feature in the future.

4. Passels thread starter macrumors member

Airplay only requires a wireless network, but it does not require an internet connection. That's why i figured I can just create a network using the airport express and then connect to it with the iphone. Can anyone think of a reason why this would not work?

5. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Maybe I am missing something but what advantage would AirPlay have over bluetooth in this situation?

6. Passels thread starter macrumors member

Your right, bluetooth would work fine, do you know any good adapters for that? I was just thinking airplay because....

1. Distance - Bluetooth is fine when driving but a lot of times I'm outside at a game tailgating and I would like to not have to leave my phone near the car when I'm throwing the football or whatever.

2. Sharing - if a friend comes in my car and asks if i heard a song.. I can just tell him to connect right to my network and play it through airplay... otherwise he has to pair the bluetooth.

3. Apple is pushing airplay, who know's what other apps may be taking advantage of it.

7. Passels thread starter macrumors member

That would be sick bro... I'm sure its in the works somewhere.

8. synagence macrumors 6502a

Apple is one of the members of the Wifi standards board which has just ratified Wifi direct .... therefore a point-to-point WiFi network to an 'AirPlay' enabled head-unit (also with wifi direct) might be possible in the future....

9. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I missed the part about the express. :eek:

10. digitalme77, Nov 25, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2010

digitalme77 macrumors newbie

AirPlay using AirPort Express in your Car

Do you want to play music from your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad through your car speakers wirelessly but don’t have a Bluetooth head unit in your car? Now there’s a solution with Apple AirPlay (iOS 4.2 and above).

What you need:
    1) AirPlay compatible device: iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (2nd generation and later) with iOS 4.2 or newer installed.
    2) Apple Airport Express (either wireless G or the latest wireless N will work the same). http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/ ($99 new from Apple.com or as low as $50 on ebay used)
    3) A car power inverter to power the Apple Airport Express in the car. The smaller the inverter the better. They can get hot. There are many different models and sizes out there.
    4) 3.5-mm audio minijack male to male

Setup instructions:
    1) Plug the Airport Express into the power inverter in your car. If you mount it in your glove box or center console keep an eye on how hot it gets.
    2) The Airport Express is broadcasting a wireless network SSID right out of the box (If you buy a used one just hold the reset button until the lights flash) so no configuration is needed unless you want to change the wireless network name or enable wireless encryption. You’re just broadcasting music to your car so you probably don’t want to go to the trouble.
    3) Connect the 3.5-mm audio minijack
    4) On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch connect the new wireless network (no encryption, no password). Go to Settings/Wi-Fi.
    5) Open the iPod app. If you’re connected to the Airport Express wireless network a new AirPlay icon will display next to the rewind/play/fforwad buttons for you to select the car speakers.
    6) I was not able to detect any sound quality loss compared to plugging the 3.5-mm audio minijack directly into my iPhone.
    7) Car Audio shops can help you hide the power inverter and Airport Express by running power directly from the battery etc to get the clean look of no wires depending on your car setup.

Update: Guess I should have used it a little more before posting this. One big oversight...When you're on wi-fi to an Airport Express that's not internet enabled in your car you can't browse the internet using Safari or use Pandora or Youtube or.....Basically it's cool to setup, but limited use. You have to go to Settings/Wi-Fi and disconnect when you want to use internet again in your car. Doh. Guess Bluetooth is still the way to go for now, but is the sound quality as good in your car?

11. Nokaoi macrumors regular

Good question. I own a 2010 F-150 and I have the Microsoft SYNC option that works with my iPhone 4's bluetooth amazingly well for being Microsoft. So I decided that I wanna listen to the music on my iPhone 4 and turned it on. Then I noticed something different. The AirPlay option came up in the multitasking bar!! It played my music like normal. So, does that mean if I had LCD screens setup with the SYNC feature I could stream video?? Does anyone know if this working??

12. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

seems like a big waste of time for not a lot of return

I don't see this taking off, seems stupid/expensive for car audio companies to include a wifi card just for a niche crowd when Bluetooth will do 99% of the job

13. Nokaoi macrumors regular

Did you read my post, sir?:confused:

14. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

15. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

My dad's car plays everything from his iPhone wirelessly via Bluetooth and obviously answers calls. I think it depends on the package that you get with your car. I don't think car manufacturers would opt into that since they're already able to do that with BT.

16. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

17. jas1973 macrumors 6502

thats the one big advantage with bluetooth in the car is you can take your calls at the same time. with airplay the music just shuts down and the phone rings and then you have to pick it up and answer

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Amen. My phone lasts twice as long during the day because of that.

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Interesting. If you're listening to music any other way, be it airplay, wired dock, headphone jack, speakers on phone the music fades out when the phone rings. It's not consistent that it keeps playing over BT. Not sure if that's intentional or not.

20. jas1973 macrumors 6502

the only phone notifications that get sent over airplay are text messages. when airplaying you will hear your notification sound played over your speakers your streaming to when you get a text. music fades then the tone comes then music fades back in.. when the phone rings music shuts down and the ringer on the iphone its self rings and you take the call with your iphone. on bluetooth it rings through the speakers your sending the bluetooth to. i guess because bluetooth is used mostly to receive and place calls hands free and with bluetooth there is a mic for you to speak into.

airplay was designed for home entertainment and i guess they figured you wouldn't wanna route your calls through your home stereo system. trying to get airplay to work in your car is more trouble then it is worth.

bluetooth is the only way to go in the car if you insist on being not directly wired. i have a small erikson bluetooth unit with a jack in it i can use with any head phones or to plug into my cars aux plug and it works great

21. omahajim, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010

omahajim macrumors member

22. cam-orozco macrumors newbie

cam-orozco

Ap1000

Where can I buy the PhotoFast AP1000?
    Are there any other similar products?

23. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Same here. I got the AirPlay option when I connected my iPhone 4 via bluetooth with my Pioneer DEH-P6100BT HU. I was driving and didn't wanna mess with it, so I just let it play via BT.