Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

santangelo

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
my car stereo works with airplay/bluetooth

my head unit is bluetooth only, an since the update it now pass all my music in the ipod as well as voice calls.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Update: Guess I should have used it a little more before posting this. One big oversight...When you're on wi-fi to an Airport Express that's not internet enabled in your car you can't browse the internet using Safari or use Pandora or Youtube or.....Basically it's cool to setup, but limited use. You have to go to Settings/Wi-Fi and disconnect when you want to use internet again in your car. Doh. Guess Bluetooth is still the way to go for now, but is the sound quality as good in your car?

Yeah, that's the biggest problem with this type of setup.. Connecting to a dead hotspot will allow you to AirPlay your locally stored music, but no streaming or much else.

I think a solution to this would be to reverse things, and setup your iPhone as a WiFi hotstpot.. and setup AirPort Express as a WiFi client. To setup iPhone as a hotspot you will need to either (a) jailbreak and install MyWi, or (b) wait until iOS v4.3 comes out with built-in hotspot (that may mean Verizon iPhone for now).

But that's the kind of setup that will let you use your 3G data connection for Internet, while using WiFi connection for AirPlay output.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I've tried looking for this but can't seem to find it. Is there a product that acts as a bluetooth receiver that can plug into a headphone jack?
I have the stock stereo and have no intentions of replacing it. Ideally I'd love to have a BT receive plug into the AUX-IN jack and then send bluetooth audio from my phone/ipad to that.
I'm glad I found this thread, I was just considering buying a refurb AEX to do this with Airplay but reading that it cuts out the cellphone data is a bummer.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I've tried looking for this but can't seem to find it. Is there a product that acts as a bluetooth receiver that can plug into a headphone jack?
I have the stock stereo and have no intentions of replacing it. Ideally I'd love to have a BT receive plug into the AUX-IN jack and then send bluetooth audio from my phone/ipad to that.
I'm glad I found this thread, I was just considering buying a refurb AEX to do this with Airplay but reading that it cuts out the cellphone data is a bummer.

Here you go. Belkin makes a small bluetooth receiver. Here's the link...

http://www.belkin.com/pressRoom/releases/uploads/12_16_09_BTMusicReciever.html

I used to use something different too. The Sony Ericsson HBH-DS205 Stereo Bluetooth Headset. Here's a link to that too. It'a about the size of a chapstick.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson-HBH-DS205-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B001FOQGA8

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA

Yep, I have exactly that type of device - LiquidAUX. It supports A2DP, so you get full stereo playback. In iOS 4.2 - Bluetooth A2DP receivers even show up as AirPlay targets, so it really "looks and feels" like AirPlay.. but without WiFi/AirPort hassles.

Last edited:

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
Yep, I have exactly that type of device - LiquidAUX. It supports A2DP, so you get full stereo playback. In iOS 4.2 - Bluetooth A2DP receivers even show up as AirPlay targets, so it really "looks and feels" like AirPlay.. but without WiFi/AirPort hassles.

Yeah, Apple is using the AirPlay icon for all the places where you make audio/video output choices now in iOS... even when you pick between speakers, headphones, a BT headset, whatever... it uses the same icon.

jas1973

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Yeah, that's the biggest problem with this type of setup.. Connecting to a dead hotspot will allow you to AirPlay your locally stored music, but no streaming or much else.

I think a solution to this would be to reverse things, and setup your iPhone as a WiFi hotstpot.. and setup AirPort Express as a WiFi client. To setup iPhone as a hotspot you will need to either (a) jailbreak and install MyWi, or (b) wait until iOS v4.3 comes out with built-in hotspot (that may mean Verizon iPhone for now).

But that's the kind of setup that will let you use your 3G data connection for Internet, while using WiFi connection for AirPlay output.

you can set up your airport express so your phone will connect to the wifi but will still pull data from 3g. i do this everyday. i connect to the wifi and the 3g symbol is still displayed. and i stream pandora check email surf the web with no problems while airplaying to the airport express.

you have to set up your airport express using airport utility. set up new internet connection and set it to bridge mode. then go to tcp/ip and set it to manual, then delete everything but the submask and save. and click ignore if it asks you to correct any of the information you left blank. worked for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 3,731

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
you have to set up your airport express using airport utility. set up new internet connection and set it to bridge mode. then go to tcp/ip and set it to manual, then delete everything but the submask and save. and click ignore if it asks you to correct any of the information you left blank. worked for me.

Interesting trick. Thanks for sharing.

cecoleman

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
I bought the TUNELINK AUTO bluetooth accessory for my car. It's amazing! It auto plays and auto-resumes any audio source from your iPhone, iPod, or iPad. You get their free app and works flawlessly. It works the same as AirPlay comes up with the little icon just like an Apple TV.

get it at newpotatotech.com

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I've been wanting to get a bluetooth head unit for my car for ages..... Planning on spenind £100-£150. Can anyone recomend one?

maclovin'

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2007
Amherstburg, Ontario
I just bought a new deck for my car that has A2DP blutooth capabilities. Turned on my iPhone 4's BT, made a test phone call and it worked fine. Tried some music and it sounds horrible. Very staticy. Definitely not what I was hoping for. Tried my girlfriends BB Curve 9300 and it sounds as crisp as if it were plugged in with a 3.5mm cable. Am I doing something wrong? Didn't think there was much to it...just turn it on and it works right? Is there anything I can try? My phone is my only source for music, and although I can use the headphone jack the BT capabilities are part of the reason I bought the deck. Thanks.

afrye707

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
I have airplay in my car and my stereo is stock

I guess I will give a way my secret you need an airport express, AC to DC converter and a AUX port. I installed all these into my stock Honda Accord and it workings perfect. When people have iphones or ipad they can airplay their music over our stereo. I have been working with my car and I was able to hide everything, but make sure the airport can be accessed easily. If you want pics or have any question message me about it.

spangenberg

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Updates?

I recently bought an Airport Express used and want to integrate it into my car so I can stream Pandora from my ipad. I looked at the photofast ap1000 but it seems that all traces of it have disappeared from the internet, not on their website at all, only mentions' of it appear on tuaw, and engadget, the youtube video was even pulled.

jlm70

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
Italy, Milano
In-car airplay media center...

Let's revive the thread ;)

I'd want to Airplay video to my Audi MMI3G with A/V Input.

I've checked two possible solutions:
- Kivic-one, that manages wifi-direct and has a 12V power input (but it's still to be released, hope in short)
- Raspberry-PI, that I think could manage wifi-direct and has a 5V power input (that should be converted from car's 12V).

Both of them output a triple RCA cable with analog stereo audio and composite video. But they even output in full HDMI 1.3a...
I would BADLY like to interface a multichannel HDMI audio/video signal (AC3 or DTS) to my Audi A4 MOST ring (fiber channel) interface, so to enjoy a multichannel music library in discrete 7.1 for my Audi Bang & Olufsen in car amplifier... But I do not know how to directly interface the Audi MOST ring with an HDMI cable (eventually converted in video + SPDIF) :(
Any help...? TIA!

Last edited:

ZOMGVTEK

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2009
7411808288_47be4bf19a_c.jpg

7419940242_aaac2e09ae_c.jpg

Bam. 12V Airport Express.

Works fairly well, just takes something like 60-90 seconds to 'boot up' before it works, and it was quite cheap.

jlm70

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2012
Italy, Milano
Bam. 12V Airport Express.
Works fairly well, just takes something like 60-90 seconds to 'boot up' before it works, and it was quite cheap.

Tks! Nice work for audio, still... I'd want video air-play ;)
In the meantime I've bought a cheap Raspberry Pi, just arrived: i'll try to guess if it works... :)

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I used a Belkin Bluetooth adapter and wired it behind all the panels in the car. So all I have to do is get in the car and push the Bluetooth button and music starts playing.
ad30c5d8-ad3b-e6d4.jpg

I tried using this iPod dock connector to try and retain my steering wheel controls
ad30c5d8-ad8c-3352.jpg

But there was a weird static from the in car iPod power and it didn't work well. So I settled on the Belkin but I'm still looking for a work around to retain my steering wheel controls for skipping tracks.

Dave01568

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
Do you want to play music from your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad through your car speakers wirelessly but don’t have a Bluetooth head unit in your car? Now there’s a solution with Apple AirPlay (iOS 4.2 and above).

What you need:
1) AirPlay compatible device: iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (2nd generation and later) with iOS 4.2 or newer installed.
2) Apple Airport Express (either wireless G or the latest wireless N will work the same). http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/ ($99 new from Apple.com or as low as $50 on ebay used)
3) A car power inverter to power the Apple Airport Express in the car. The smaller the inverter the better. They can get hot. There are many different models and sizes out there.
4) 3.5-mm audio minijack male to male

Setup instructions:
1) Plug the Airport Express into the power inverter in your car. If you mount it in your glove box or center console keep an eye on how hot it gets.
2) The Airport Express is broadcasting a wireless network SSID right out of the box (If you buy a used one just hold the reset button until the lights flash) so no configuration is needed unless you want to change the wireless network name or enable wireless encryption. You’re just broadcasting music to your car so you probably don’t want to go to the trouble.
3) Connect the 3.5-mm audio minijack
4) On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch connect the new wireless network (no encryption, no password). Go to Settings/Wi-Fi.
5) Open the iPod app. If you’re connected to the Airport Express wireless network a new AirPlay icon will display next to the rewind/play/fforwad buttons for you to select the car speakers.
6) I was not able to detect any sound quality loss compared to plugging the 3.5-mm audio minijack directly into my iPhone.
7) Car Audio shops can help you hide the power inverter and Airport Express by running power directly from the battery etc to get the clean look of no wires depending on your car setup.

Update: Guess I should have used it a little more before posting this. One big oversight...When you're on wi-fi to an Airport Express that's not internet enabled in your car you can't browse the internet using Safari or use Pandora or Youtube or.....Basically it's cool to setup, but limited use. You have to go to Settings/Wi-Fi and disconnect when you want to use internet again in your car. Doh. Guess Bluetooth is still the way to go for now, but is the sound quality as good in your car?

You can surf the Internet just set wifi on iOS to static and your all set see it on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5T_ugMN-M&sns=em

jluke

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
The best thing, using an Airport Express, would be to have the iPhone/iPad to access its exposed wireless netwok (with no internet connection) to use Airplay, but still maintain the ability - on the iPhone - to use the 3G connection to keep on stremaing music from Spotify or Pandora...
Would you think it will be possible, in the future? Technically I think it could be done, with a firmware update (using two wireless interfaces, LTE/wifi, with two different IP addresses): maybe in iOS7? Given iOS7 has been thought even to specifically integrate with cars...

Last edited:

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
op apple may be pushing AirPlay however being as it's a mobile environment your speaking of they will be pushing car play and expanding on that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.