AirPlay Opens Door to Almost Any Web Video on Apple TV

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 17, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The news that iOS 4.2 allows any standard iOS video playback controller to potentially stream content to their Apple TV is continuing to generate some excitement. Seth Weintraub suggests that this is a bit of a Trojan horse strategy that will allow iPad and iPhone customers to stream a huge amount of content from Apps and the Web to their Apple TV:
    This streaming ability (so far) only seems limited to those Apps that play using the standard iOS video player. Examples beyond Safari included YouTube, iPod, BBC News and MLB apps.

[​IMG]

Image from Gizmodo
    Gizmodo shared the same sentiment last week when it called AirPlay Apple's "sneak attack on television."

Article Link: AirPlay Opens Door to Almost Any Web Video on Apple TV

2. newagemac macrumors 68020

Nice "Go To Market Strategy", Mr. Jobs. Very well played sir. ;)

3. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

It... Has... Begun!

[​IMG]

And frankly, I wouldn't bet against Apple at this point. ABC's announcement of the My Generation app is just the beginning of the future of interactive TV.

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Did Apple intentionally do this? they may not have realized what AirPlay is capable of doing.

5. andrew0122 macrumors regular

Can anyone tell me if AirPlay will be able to be streamed to the original :apple:TV?

Also has anyone confirmed that iOS 4.2 Beta 1 has AirPlay?

6. Zoiks macrumors newbie

Eh, I've got the mini hooked to my TV, and I still prefer to watch anything HD, not SD crud that I'd be able to stream from YouTube and whatnot.

(disclosure, I am in Canada where Hulu is not allowed. If I could get HD Hulu streamed over the net, then I'd be kicking my PVR to the curb for sure!)

Good One Steve-O!

7. dmm219 macrumors 6502

wow...people are getting WAY ahead of themselves here. Apple has ONLY shown being able to play iTunes bought material through airplay. Considering that they STILL only allow iTunes material to be streamed to ATV (v1), I think everyone is going to be GREATLY disappointed when they learn that AirPlay only works with Apple iTunes video.

There is absolutely NO evidence to believe otherwise at this point...

8. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

I know it's nice to do this wirelessly, but couldn't you always do the same thing with a cable anyway (in other words, is there anything for "the networks" to do anything about?)

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. nope
    2. yes of course it has it

10. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Of course it was intentional.

11. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Nice article by Seth.

9to5 and MacRumors are the only Mac sites I visit anymore.

12. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Of course this was intentional. Apple is effectively calling the networks out.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by Cougarcat. (/shakes tiny fist) :D

13. PlayWithTV macrumors regular

Netflix Paradox

So you can stream Netflix from another computer to your Apple TV, which already has Netflix, thus causing a rift in the space/time continuum.

14. AgingGeek macrumors regular

Except that iPad and iPhone can't play most internet videos.... ;-)

15. jdodoubleg macrumors newbie

jdodoubleg

Any idea if this will work with Sony S-Air speakers? That would be AWESOME!

16. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Any video encoded in Quicktime h.264 will be able to be streamed with AirPlay

[​IMG]

and 9to5mac.com is reporting:
    http://www.9to5mac.com/27015/airplay-is-apples-go-to-market-internet-tv-strategy

17. paradox00 macrumors 65816

Scrolling down the front page of Mac Rumors you will find this:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/17/will-airplay-stream-hulu-or-other-video-apps-to-apple-tv/

18. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

I'm still maintaining that AirPlay holds a LOT more in store than just video streaming.

iOS 5 will be all about streaming your content via wifi to other devices. That includes apps...for example, imagine using your iPhone to control an Angry Birds game on your TV screen.

19. xkalibur macrumors newbie

YES, there is evidence. No one is getting ahead of themselves.

Actually that evidence was posted via MacRumors, today.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/09/17/will-airplay-stream-hulu-or-other-video-apps-to-apple-tv/

20. Lepton macrumors 6502a

Lepton

To take advantage of this, wouldn't the new appleTV have to have a general safari bromwser in there, so you could go to these sites? Has it been said it will include a browser?

21. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

22. techapocalypse macrumors member

I'm just curious is when you AirPlay to an Apple TV will it do the iPad aspect ratio of 4:3 or the video files aspect (usually) 16:9? Cause i use streamtome and the VGA adapter but as you know it doesn't do the TV's resolution so yeah...I'm sure we'll know when the Apple TV is released but i figured maybe someone knew

23. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I think the browser is in the AirPlay iOS device (and hopefully in the OS X devices too).

24. tasset macrumors 6502a

I hope this is true, it is the new AppleTv's only saving grace. Before the announcement MG Siegler wrote a post on Techcrunch about the fight for television with a backdrop of the storming of Normandy. Maybe Apple doesn't want to get mowed down on the beach by the Nazis (cable, telco, media orgs) and plans to drop in like Inglorious Basterds behind the lines and kill em off like guerillas. Steve wants his 100 scalps!

25. RMXO macrumors 6502a

I use AirVideo to play my mkv's, does this mean, I will be able to stream my MKV's to the new ATV?