Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
SOMETHING THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY ABOUT AIRPLAY

I do not own an appletv yet but I own two airport express'.

On an iphone I can play video and send the audio to the airport express and it works fine.

On the macbook I cannot send the audio while watching a video. Only from audio files can audio be sent by airplay.

It is so bizarre that an iphone can do this but a computer cannot.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Interesting proof of concept, but I'd much rather have it the other way round - Airplay from my Mac to my iOS device...

I don't really see the point of this...You would have to be at your computer and already playing your video on your computer to then send it to your iPhone or iPad.

What does doing that gain over using an app like AirVideo where you can choose the content from your computer directly on your iPad? I would rather see some kind of official streaming client added to the Remote app which would allow you to pull video from your mac's iTunes onto your iPad. Basically an "Official" AirVideo app that would let you play DRM content without using the browser.

iPhone->Mac AirPlay makes sense, and it should be included in Lion if not sooner. Then once they update the photos app to allow recorded videos to airplay you will be able to preview them on your computer before spending the time syncing your iPhone.

WisdomWolf

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Um.. I have no interest in replacing Apple TV with Aspire Revo.. or for that matter in any other Atom/Windows-based craptops.

I just want to stream AirPlay content from my Mini to my Apple TVs without iTunes restrictions :D

I'm fairly certain you'll get your wish eventually via jailbreak. I was just saying for slightly more money an aspire revo paired with XBMC and an AirPlayer App such as this would best an AppleTV in every way. I try to stay platform agnostic as best I can and judge things based on what they can do and what provides best value. I own a Windows desktop, a windows tablet, a windows nettop/htpc, an iPad, an iPod Classic, an iPod Touch, two Macbooks, and an Airport Extreme. Whatever gets the job done best should be all the matters, not what badge is on it.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
I hope someone works on a PC version soon, That's what I always wanted, Wireless streaming from my iPhone/iPad to any device, not just apple tv's

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I downloaded the app to find that I get the "not supported on this hardware" error when trying to run it. I could not find any minimum specks listed for the app, but it looks like it is more than my 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo mac mini.

The idea looks very cool though, and maybe an update will make the app work on a few older systems (as they tend to find themselves relegated to TVs at some point in their lives).

You need a 64-bit processor, although I'm betting that the app could easily be compiled to 32-bit.

I don't really see the point of this...You would have to be at your computer and already playing your video on your computer to then send it to your iPhone or iPad.

Remote.app + Airplay TO the Ipad would be bliss.

On an iphone I can play video and send the audio to the airport express and it works fine.

On the macbook I cannot send the audio while watching a video. Only from audio files can audio be sent by airplay.

Agreed.

Last edited:

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
SOMETHING THAT DRIVES ME CRAZY ABOUT AIRPLAY

I do not own an appletv yet but I own two airport express'.

It's so that Apple makes you buy an igadget.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

What does doing that gain over using an app like AirVideo where you can choose the content from your computer directly on your iPad? I would rather see some kind of official streaming client added to the Remote app which would allow you to pull video from your mac's iTunes onto your iPad. Basically an "Official" AirVideo app that would let you play DRM content without using the browser.

iPhone->Mac AirPlay makes sense, and it should be included in Lion if not sooner. Then once they update the photos app to allow recorded videos to airplay you will be able to preview them on your computer before spending the time syncing your iPhone.

Basically, what I would really like is the AppleTV application available on my iPhone and iPad (it's an iOS app so there's no technical reason Apple couldn't do it if they had the will). Then my iPad would become an integrated AppleTV / TV and I could watch any of my iTunes content anywhere I wanted around the house.

That's easy. AirVideo. Been using it for months now and it works flawlessly with both my ipod touch 2 and my ipad. And it looks like I was beat to this idea by several others. Clearly, a good option.

Unfortunately, Air Video doesn't work with DRM protected videos, and about 80% of my videos are purchased through iTunes and therefore unavailable using Air Video, which makes it kind of useless for me...

What I've been doing is sharing my videos using my Mac's built in web server (I created a link to my iTunes folder within my web server document folder) and this does work with DRM protected content, but the UI is a bit horrible (basically just a list of files)

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
This is pointless. Make a program for Mac that can transcode on the fly and beam videos to the AppleTV. Then I'll be impressed and forever grateful.

WisdomWolf

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Unfortunately, Air Video doesn't work with DRM protected videos, and about 80% of my videos are purchased through iTunes and therefore unavailable using Air Video, which makes it kind of useless for me...

This is exactly the reason that DRM needs to die. It's kind of messed up when the people who get screwed the most are the ones that paid for digital media. This is especially frustrating when you consider that the people who "found" it elsewhere on the internet can play, free from restrictions.

bottsjw

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
Definitely a POC .. or maybe just a concept. It isn't working with my iPod T(3G) and iMac 27" 2010.
iTouch sees the iMac, but no video plays.

CORRECTION: after several minutes and pin wheels .... the video is now playing. Streaming or buffering clearly took a LONG time but it just started working.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
I was just saying for slightly more money an aspire revo paired with XBMC and an AirPlayer App such as this would best an AppleTV in every way.

That a Windows nettop "bests Apple TV in every way" is just your opinion, which I happen to disagree with.. Without getting into a lengthy off-topic debate on the merits of Apple TV.. Let me just say that I have 3 second-gen Apple TVs throughout my house. I use them as simple thin clients to stream several Terabytes of my centralized iTunes-served content. There is no way that a bunch of PCs can come close in simplicity, ease of use, and integration of my Apple TV based setup.

I try to stay platform agnostic as best I can and judge things based on what they can do and what provides best value

I'd agree with that, I tend to do the same. But it's not about Windows vs Mac per se. When you suggest to replace Apple TV with Windows nettops to gain an AirPlay cient.. I compare it to me bringing in my Porsche to upgrade to winter tires.. and the dealer saying - forget the winter tires, why don't I just replace your Porsche with this giant pick-up truck. Because I have been down the road of connecting Windows PCs to TVs, and it's as ugly as a giant pick-up truck. But YMMV ;)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
This is exactly the reason that DRM needs to die. It's kind of messed up when the people who get screwed the most are the ones that paid for digital media. This is especially frustrating when you consider that the people who "found" it elsewhere on the internet can play, free from restrictions.

Yeah, it is incredibly annoying! All my media is purchased but it's pathetic that I can pretty much do what I want with media that I've ripped from my purchased DVDs (which is, strictly speaking, a breach of copyright), whilst the media I have actually paid to own electronically is subjected to ridiculous limitations :(

WisdomWolf

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
That a Windows nettop "bests Apple TV in every way" is just your opinion, which I happen to disagree with.. Without getting into a lengthy off-topic debate on the merits of Apple TV.. Let me just say that I have 3 second-gen Apple TVs throughout my house. I use them as simple thin clients to stream several Terabytes of my centralized iTunes-served content. There is no way that a bunch of PCs can come close in simplicity, ease of use, and integration of my Apple TV based setup.

I'd agree with that, I tend to do the same. But it's not about Windows vs Mac per se. When you suggest to replace Apple TV with Windows nettops to gain an AirPlay cient.. I compare it to me bringing in my Porsche to upgrade to winter tires.. and the dealer saying - forget the winter tires, why don't I just replace your Porsche with this giant pick-up truck. Because I have been down the road of connecting Windows PCs to TVs, and it's as ugly as a giant pick-up truck. But YMMV ;)

I can see your point about replacing the AppleTV, especially with multiple units. I was just saying not to underestimate the nettops. I use mine for exactly the same purpose as you, thin clients that stream from a RAID on my desktop. The difference is that I have a shared database (including watched status, bookmarks, and resume points) amongst all machines and can play just about any format I please including full 1080p + DTS. To each his own I suppose.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
preeeety, preeeety, preeety good!!!

0.jpg

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Interesting proof of concept, but I'd much rather have it the other way round - Airplay from my Mac to my iOS device...

I wonder what's your use case will be.

While you are on your iMac with 27" display, but you decides to push a movie to play on your iphone so you can watch it in a smaller screen?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Smashing!
All I need now is the ability to stream iTunes video content to my iPod touch. Well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.