Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cuencap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I just noticed iTunes 12.9 displays an error when trying to connect to my Denon 2112CI Receiver. This just started after updating iTunes the other day. I've read of others having this same issue but nobody can say if it's an iTunes bug or a permanent removal of Airplay functionality for some older speakers. I've reported this to Apple, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this error?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8552060

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 6.11.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 6.11.59 PM.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 179

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
This just happened to me also. I am PISSED. apparently this isn't something new, people have been talking about this problem since earlier this year, and Apple has yet to address it.

Who the hell are they to deem my speaker obsolete, when it was working just fine. If this isn't a bug and they don't add support back in we should start a class action suit, Apple specifically said with the introduction of airplay 2, that everything would be backwards compatible with Airplay 1.

Right now I'm using Airfoil which is working, but has the occasional dropout.

Infuriates me even more that we paid a large markup just to have these airplay speakers to begin with!

Reactions: cuencap

cuencap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
This just happened to me also. I am PISSED. apparently this isn't something new, people have been talking about this problem since earlier this year, and Apple has yet to address it.

Who the hell are they to deem my speaker obsolete, when it was working just fine. If this isn't a bug and they don't add support back in we should start a class action suit, Apple specifically said with the introduction of airplay 2, that everything would be backwards compatible with Airplay 1.

Right now I'm using Airfoil which is working, but has the occasional dropout.

Infuriates me even more that we paid a large markup just to have these airplay speakers to begin with!

I’ve come across older posts in different forums talking about this. Can’t believe it’s not more widely discussed here though!

I use Airfoil too but the fact that Apple removed this functionality from iTunes is pure BS.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I just installed the Mojave 10.14.2 Developer beta, and the issue is fixed!

It's still extremely upsetting that Apple isn't issuing an iTunes update to fix the problem NOW for people who can't install the beta, and haven't been able to use their speakers, some people for MONTHS (hope they didn't go out and buy Airplay 2 speakers).

cuencap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Aw

It's still extremely upsetting that Apple isn't issuing an iTunes update to fix the problem NOW for people who can't install the beta, and haven't been able to use their speakers, some people for MONTHS (hope they didn't go out and buy Airplay 2 speakers).
esome

Awesome, that’s great to hear

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.