AirPod shortcuts and Watch OS 4

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Fynd, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Fynd macrumors 6502

Setting custom double tap shortcuts on the AirPods using an iOS 11 device (double tap left for Siri, double tap right to skip song) doesn't seem to carry over to the watch. I went for a walk last night and double tapping either always just launches Siri, and I can't see a way to change that on the watch itself or from the watch app.

Is this a known bug, or is something going on with my setup? I've removed my AirPods completely and repaired to iCloud but no luck.

2. Fynd thread starter macrumors 6502

3. meikdunj macrumors regular

Not having that issue with mine when connected to watch only.

4. redavis41 macrumors member

redavis41

I'm assuming you went into settings on your iPhone and switched the shortcut settings for your Airpods.

5. Fynd thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm....

Of course! :p

6. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I do, and the iOS 11 shortcuts carry over to the Watch. They even carried over to the Watch running watchOS 3, because iOS actually reprograms the AirPods to send the play/pause/back/forward/Siri command to the connected BT device. The commands (except Siri) even work on non-Apple BT devices.

7. redavis41 macrumors member

redavis41

I'd maybe do a restart of your phone then. Sometimes the commands don't "take" and somehow a restart fixes the problem.

8. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

9. Chris3gx macrumors newbie

Tried this today and the custom double tap commands do carry over to the watch.