Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terandle

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
So far, I love the new Hey Siri, I’m able to trigger it with a quiet voice. Being able to quietly say commands and have them work is a real game changer IMO.

Last edited:

SeanLe

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2017
Australia
So have been on the phone for about 2hrs 50mins on the second gen AirPods. Battery on right pod died at about 2hrs 45mins while the left ones have 22% charge. The battery variation between the two are pretty far? is this normal?

I don't remember this being this far on my first gen and only after time that got further from each other but not that far.

what do you guys think? This is the first time using after a full charge, do you think there needs to be a battery calibration?

thanks,

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
So have been on the phone for about 2hrs 50mins on the second gen AirPods. Battery on right pod died at about 2hrs 45mins while the left ones have 22% charge. The battery variation between the two are pretty far? is this normal?

I don't remember this being this far on my first gen and only after time that got further from each other but not that far.

what do you guys think? This is the first time using after a full charge, do you think there needs to be a battery calibration?

thanks,

One thing you could try is going into Settings -> Bluetooth -> AirPods
And look at your microphone settings. By default it switches between the two, but you can also set it to be right side / left side. Would be interesting to try both of those options and see what happens, if the variation persists.

If you do this, definitely report back! I’d love to hear your results. I never spend that long on a call, let alone a call with AirPods.

Tinototem

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Sweden
Yes it was in this setting however does this not switch the mic over to the one with more battery?

Also sometimes I can see the the battery for left and right and sometimes they are combined in the widget?
They are combined when they have the same battery level.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Can anyone speak to the range of the new AirPods? The original Airpods would cut out from my MBP when I went to the kitchen or bathroom in the house.
If I buy a pair, would you cover my flight over, so I can verify if they cut out in your kitchen or bathroom? :D

Ie. There are many variable factors within a home that can impact Bluetooth. Your home may have more/less of these impeding factors, so it’s difficult to say if they’ll be an improvement or not with much accuracy.

Bluetooth 5 apparently works better through walls/objects, so it should improve things, but the only way is to know for sure is to trial them in your house.

Last edited:
Reactions: PN4

macnmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2017
Apple Park
connecting to devices is much faster, 1 hr of cont use is about 80% and after 2 is 57%... so far so good...

my v1 would be almost dead after 1.5-2hrs of use
[doublepost=1553781534][/doublepost]so 2hrs 48 mins and 40% left... not too shabby

Reactions: Shanghaichica

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
A rare thing happens with the wireless charging, it charges at times. I don´t know if due to the problem of the charging case, failure of the charging stand or protection from the heat generated when charging.
Mine really doesn't seem to charge at all on my regular phone charigng pad. light is orange for a few seconds, then nothing and watching it for 30 minutes, doesn't seem to make any movement.

charger is only 5W, I wonder if that is a problem?

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I don't know how anyone can't tell the sound quality difference between Gen1 and Gen2. The new AirPods have noticeably better sound quality. Much more crisp and slightly better lows.

Reactions: skadd

Elektrofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2010
Is anyone else's AirPods 2 Wireless charging case lid slightly misaligned? I noticed that it's ever so slightly over to the right so that the lip doesn't meet the body perfectly like my original case does. Wondering if it's worth trying to get an exchange.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Is anyone else's AirPods 2 Wireless charging case lid slightly misaligned? I noticed that it's ever so slightly over to the right so that the lip doesn't meet the body perfectly like my original case does. Wondering if it's worth trying to get an exchange.
Yes, mine is too. I don't have my AirPods 1 to compare so it would be good if others here would report on theirs.

Chairman.Jobbie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2011
I got 1h usage at 50% volume with 84% battery left.
16% per hour?

It’s likely 20% for every hour I guess on average.

I think the sound is better - more clear - but that could be the old ones having been used for 2 years solids daily and deteriorated? Either way there is a noticeable difference.
[doublepost=1553801564][/doublepost]
Mine really doesn't seem to charge at all on my regular phone charigng pad. light is orange for a few seconds, then nothing and watching it for 30 minutes, doesn't seem to make any movement.

I’m using an Anker 5w wireless charger and it charges fine on mine.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010

Yes, mine is too. I don't have my AirPods 1 to compare so it would be good if others here would report on theirs.

My AirPods 2 case is aligned perfectly (as was my original case). I guess it depends on how much it annoys you. If it were me, I would probably step into an Apple Store, show it to them, and see how generous they're feeling. :)

Reactions: AVBeatMan

macnmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2017
Apple Park
That's what I thought too but I cleaned the old ones up before doing my A/B comparison with the same song at the same volume.

nice
[doublepost=1553803610][/doublepost]
16% per hour?

I think the sound is better - more clear - but that could be the old ones having been used for 2 years solids daily and deteriorated? Either way there is a noticeable difference.

seemed pretty consistent with what i was getting from mine ~20% an hour

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
16% per hour?

yeah, that's the same one I'm using. added maybe 1% in 30 minutes. That doesn't seem usable at all

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Can anyone tell me how to change the name of my AirPods 1? I’ve given them to my daughter but it still comes up on her iPhone as “David’s AirPods?”

intel66

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2013
A rare thing happens with the wireless charging, it charges at times. I don´t know if due to the problem of the charging case, failure of the charging stand or protection from the heat generated when charging.
I experience the same issue with my 10W QI charger.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
just received mine i like them, i think they sound pretty decent, i did not own the 1st gen so i cannot compare. I'm happy with my purchase.

mrt209

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
USA/Germany
I just received mine, when I picked them up there was a lot of confusion of whether they gave me the old ones or new ones... just to make sure, I bought the new AirPods with a normal charging case, are they supposed to have a LED on the case or is that just he wireless one? If "Hey Siri" pops up when I set them up then that would mean I have the new ones right? Thanks

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I have both the new and the old ones. I also got the base model with no wireless charging and it doesn't have a led. Also, the hey Siri setup didn't appear on my iPhone, but hey Siri works.

JustCrusin

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
D782769B-2A57-49AA-B699-7ADB42B4728C.jpeg
I bought three sets and all of the right ear pieces are misaligned at the connection Anyone else or just me? It creates a sharp edge.

Reactions: robotica
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.