Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaDöme

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016
The first thing I noticed, even before using it for the first time, is how BETTER THE SEAMS ARE!
Mine are unfortunately quite the opposite. You can clearly see the seams on both of them from any angle, which creates a somewhat "dirty" look depending on the light (one of the AirPods even has a very tiny little something in between the to halfs which doesn't seem to be easily removable). Not quite sure if this is reason enough to swap an otherwhise perfectly fine product. The price of 230€, however, makes me want to have a nice looking pair of AirPods (which seems to be possible), even though they are most of the time either in the case or in my ears.

Mw0103

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2014
I just received mine, when I picked them up there was a lot of confusion of whether they gave me the old ones or new ones... just to make sure, I bought the new AirPods with a normal charging case, are they supposed to have a LED on the case or is that just he wireless one? If "Hey Siri" pops up when I set them up then that would mean I have the new ones right? Thanks

Only the wireless case has the LED on the front. The non-wireless has it inside the lid, just like the originals. If “hey Siri” works, then you have AirPod 2.

Reactions: Weaselboy

DaDöme

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016
I bought three sets and all of the right ear pieces are misaligned at the connection Anyone else or just me? It creates a sharp edge.
Both of my AirPods have this issue, however, the left one isn't as drastic as the right one but both of them not as extreme as yours.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
View attachment 829143 I bought three sets and all of the right ear pieces are misaligned at the connection Anyone else or just me? It creates a sharp edge.

I haven't even looked or noticed yet.

*looks*

I guess the seam is slightly more visible on the right one, but I have to really look to notice; definitely not something you'd pick up without really trying to see it.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I just received mine, when I picked them up there was a lot of confusion of whether they gave me the old ones or new ones... just to make sure, I bought the new AirPods with a normal charging case, are they supposed to have a LED on the case or is that just he wireless one? If "Hey Siri" pops up when I set them up then that would mean I have the new ones right? Thanks
You should be able to see the HW version in th about tab on a paired phone

SeanLe

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2017
Australia
Have the same problem on mine but with the left ear. First I had the wireless charging version, the left one was immediately noticeable and sharp. But because the wireless didn’t work on my office charger and it’s very slow I returned for normal version and the left one is slightly mis aligned still but not as bad so gave up and just accepted it. Any worse though it would be going back!

Weird because the right one is perfect, like a different group assembles the left and another for the right one.

SeanLe

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2017
Australia
Quick question: how is everyone’s battery life on each pod? Used mine for about 2hrs for just for music at 50% volume, the left one had about 70% while right had about 60%, but together the battery widget indicated it had 62%. I noticed at one hour of usage the difference was about 6% between the two pods. Seems like the right pod is draining quicker? Straight music no calls or anything.

Is this normal?

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Quick question: how is everyone’s battery life on each pod? Used mine for about 2hrs for just for music at 50% volume, the left one had about 70% while right had about 60%, but together the battery widget indicated it had 62%. I noticed at one hour of usage the difference was about 6% between the two pods. Seems like the right pod is draining quicker? Straight music no calls or anything.

Is this normal?

I was watching a movie on my Mac this evening, so it was basically a 2 hour test with the new AirPods.

I think unfortunately it sounds like you have an unlucky defect...did you say this is your second pair that had the issue? Crazy!

1 hour in, the difference was between 0-1% for me. 81% left and 80% right. About 2 hours in, this difference was hovering around 2-3%.

I’d recommend trying a reset, maybe even taking them both down to 0% before recharging...but if I were you I’d probably initiate a return.

Last edited:

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Is anyone else having issues doing the double tap gesture on their AirPods? It seems very hit or miss.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
You should be able to see the HW version in th about tab on a paired phone

More accurately Model number, both gen 1 and 2 are listed as HW 1.0.0 as neither generation had a hardware update so far. Slightly confusing field admittedly.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
These are my first ever airpods. Before I was using the beatsX with the W1 chip.
These connect to my phone so fast! Put them in my ears and they're ready to go. On the beatsx I had to hold the button and they may connect quick or they make take quite awhile. And sometimes i'd have to go in to bluetooth settings and connect them.

Airpods seem made for my ears. I know everyones ears are different and thus fit is different. But for me they fit like a glove. No issues with them falling out while running.

Call quality is great. Anyone i've talked to on them said I don't sound any different from just using my phone. Range is fantastic.

Music quality is great as well. I'm surprised by how much bass they have. Maybe shocked is a better word. Very close to my beatsX.

I like the double tap to pause. And I love that if I take one out the audio automatically pauses.

The only issue I have with them is very situational and that's that they don't fully seal in the ears. The reason I have my beatsx is because they seal and at work I can drown out the noise and focus on my job.
On the flip side I have people come in my cube all the time talking at me so with airpods I can tap to pause and hear them just fine and not miss anything even with them still in my ears. I can leave them in with the audio paused and still hear so I don't have to take them out and put them in again all day long. Beatsx I was fumbling for the pause button and taking them in and out all day.

But they don't drown out the sound around me quite as well. So far it's not too much of an issue though.

Overall, quite impressed. I do think they're overpriced though. But that's apple for ya.

Reactions: cydeweyz

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
They seem improved to me. Love the new AirPods. I would say if you have the first gen, skip this one for sure, but the conductive charging case is super convenient. Not quite sure it's worth the premium, though.

SeanLe

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2017
Australia
So to update on my left and right airpod battery drainage, I have let them run down to zero, resetted, but to no avail.

Around the 2 hour mark with just music at 50% volume they would be around 10% difference in battery. Around the 3hr mark they would be around the 15% difference.

So near the end it’s around 20% difference... I don’t think the first gens were that far apart if I recall, but going to exchange then and see what happens.

nkawal

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
NYC
So just picked up the AirPods from my local Apple store and it does not work. The left one is just not connecting. These are my first and not impressed so far. Guess I’ll be making a trip back to Apple tomorrow.

IMG_2734.jpg

Last edited:

robotica

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2007
Edinburgh
So just picked up the AirPods from my local Apple store and it does not work. The left one is just not connecting. These are my first and not impressed so far. Guess I’ll be making a trip back to Apple tomorrow.

View attachment 829538
I had that exact same issue with my first pair on Wednesday. Took them back straight away and got a new pair. The new ones seem ok but I was also very disappointed.

gymratjudy

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2016
I’m also having a hard time with my first pair of AirPods. They connect but aren’t recognized in my Find my phone nor do I get the option to name or set them up. They are going back.

Zhixian Wu

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2015
I'm returning my pair with Wireless Charging Case, instead, I will just go and get other pair with old-fashioned, but reliable normal Charging Case.

The biggest reason is that I just discovered that all of my (Qi-certified) wireless chargers refuse to continue charging the Case when I pick it up, grab out the AirPods, and put it back right away. I have to wait like 30 seconds after picking it up in oder to get the wireless charging function works normally again.
I've not seen anyone else talked about this issue so it could just be me, either way, this strange behavior really annoys me because it never happens to my phone, but this time, I literally don't know if my AirPod Case would being charged or not every time I leave it on a wireless charger, so I end up keeping checking its charging status back and forth.

Another big reason is that, turns out, I had a hard time getting used to this new LED indicator design.
Sounds not like a big deal by moving the LED from the inside of the Case to the front, so that we can see the charging status without opening the lid while the Case being charged, except, it is NOT on while charging! So what's the point of changing its position because the lid must be opened to turn it on anyway? Not to mention we can always using our phones to check charging status just like before. This could also refer back to my first mentioned issue, I don't know if it's working properly at a glance!
Other than that, the front of the Case isn't the surface I would look at when I grab out my AirPods, usually, by grabbing out both of the AirPods I immediately know whether the Case itself needs to be charged, very convenient – not anymore with this Wireless Charging Case. My thumb would mostly block the LED (hashtag, you're holding it wrong) and I have to turn the Case around a little bit in order to see it.
The design might not be a deal breaker considering many people want to differentiate themselves from the 1st Gen. AirPods holders the first place, but like I said, the change makes no sense to me, at least for now.

Apple might redress all the issues I mentioned above in the future, e.g. improving the reliability of the inductive sensor, letting the LED always on while charging. But all in all, it leads me to a final question: why would I pay 50 Euros more (229 € vs 179 € in EU) for a half-baked wireless charging function?!
Initially I thought it's nice to have one less cord to take care of, and it would be great to let this Case work with AirPower so I could always start my day with all my three devices (phone, watch, and headphones) being fully charged. We all know what happened to the AirPower, so I'm not investing in another wireless charging pad/mat/stand for this specific "always-being-charged" charging matter.
It's nice to have 100% fully charged AirPod Case everyday, but I'm fine charging it twice a week, more or less. Besides, charging it through a Lightning cable seems to be faster than wireless charging.

TL;DR: AirPods are great from the beginning, and now they're even better. As long as you are not specific in need of wireless charging, or new Case design, the 2nd Generation AirPods with normal Charging Case are not loosing any features by any means and work perfectly. Do yourself a favor and save these 50 Euros (or 40 USD) for something else.

––––

A quick follow-up:

So I did send my first AirPods with Wireless Charging Case back, and I also did order another pair with normal Charging Case, however,
1) as soon as I opened the box, I discovered my second pair had a minor, but for me an unacceptable beauty issue (presumably caused during the packaging process);
2) I realized that I actually need that wireless charging functionality while I'm on travel, because I don't bring any cables with me anymore thanks to my wireless power bank;
3) my nearest Apple Store has both variants of AirPods in stock! (at this time, online orders may take 4 weeks to ship)
Although I'm still quite unused to this new case design, I returned my second pair and got myself another pair with Wireless Charging Case, so yeah... think twice before buying!

Last edited:
Reactions: suvorovfcb

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Neither did I.
I opened the case pressed the button and it a flash it was done.
What did I miss?
Same here. My understanding is if you already had Hey Siri turned on, you will not get that prompt. I already had Hey Siri on and did not get the prompt, and Hey Siri works with my new Airpods.

Last edited:
Reactions: bruinsrme

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I'm returning my pair with Wireless Charging Case, instead, I will just go and get other pair with old-fashioned, but reliable normal Charging Case.

The biggest reason is that I just discovered that all of my (Qi-certified) wireless chargers refuse to continue charging the Case when I pick it up, grab out the AirPods, and put it back right away. I have to wait like 30 seconds after picking it up in oder to get the wireless charging function works normally again.
I've not seen anyone else talked about this issue so it could just be me, either way, this strange behavior really annoys me because it never happens to my phone, but this time, I literally don't know if my AirPod Case would being charged or not every time I leave it on a wireless charger, so I end up keeping checking its charging status back and forth.

Another big reason is that, turns out, I had a hard time getting used to this new LED indicator design.
Sounds not like a big deal by moving the LED from the inside of the Case to the front, so that we can see the charging status without opening the lid while the Case being charged, except, it is NOT on while charging! So what's the point of changing its position because the lid must be opened to turn it on anyway? Not to mention we can always using our phones to check charging status just like before. This could also refer back to my first mentioned issue, I don't know if it's working properly at a glance!
Other than that, the front of the Case isn't the surface I would look at when I grab out my AirPods, usually, by grabbing out both of the AirPods I immediately know whether the Case itself needs to be charged, very convenient – not anymore with this Wireless Charging Case. My thumb would mostly block the LED (hashtag, you're holding it wrong) and I have to turn the Case around a little bit in order to see it.
The design might not be a deal breaker considering many people want to differentiate themselves from the 1st Gen. AirPods holders the first place, but like I said, the change makes no sense to me, at least for now.

Apple might redress all the issues I mentioned above in the future, e.g. improving the reliability of the inductive sensor, letting the LED always on while charging. But all in all, it leads me to a final question: why would I pay 50 Euros more (229 € vs 179 € in EU) for a half-baked wireless charging function?!
Initially I thought it's nice to have one less cord to take care of, and it would be great to let this Case work with AirPower so I could always start my day with all my three devices (phone, watch, and headphones) being fully charged. We all know what happened to the AirPower, so I'm not investing in another wireless charging pad/mat/stand for this specific "always-being-charged" charging matter.
It's nice to have 100% fully charged AirPod Case everyday, but I'm fine charging it twice a week, more or less. Besides, charging it through a Lightning cable seems to be faster than wireless charging.

TL;DR: AirPods are great from the beginning, and now they're even better. As long as you are not specific in need of wireless charging, or new Case design, the 2nd Generation AirPods with normal Charging Case are not loosing any features by any means and work perfectly. Do yourself a favor and save these 50 Euros (or 40 USD) for something else.

I agree with this...I thought I’d like the external LED better, but since it powers-off after a few seconds, what’s the point?? At the least, make it user configurable for those who want it off for nightstand charging, etc.

Other than that, I like the upgrade. My 12/2016 vintage AirPods were on their last legs. The new ones connected quickly, and switch between devices much faster and more reliably. The “Hey Siri” is nice when running. I just wish they came in Space Grey or black. Oh, well there’s always AirPods 2 to hope for haha!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.