AirPods 2 Now Available for In-Store Pickup

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 26, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's updated second-generation AirPods began arriving to customers around the world this morning, marking the official launch of the new earbuds.

The new AirPods have also made their way into stores and are available for in-store pickup. Many stores across the United States appear to have immediate availability of the AirPods, so if you want a set, you can pop into a retail location and get them today.

[​IMG]

It's not clear how much available supply there is, but almost are stores are listing stock at the current time.

Retail stores are stocking the AirPods 2 with Wireless Charging Case ($199), AirPods 2 with standard Charging Case ($159), and the standalone Wireless Charging Case ($79) that adds wireless charging capabilities to your existing AirPods.

Apple's second-generation AirPods continue to be available solely in white, and there were no design changes introduced with the update. The AirPods are equipped with an updated H1 chip, which brings connectivity improvements. AirPods now connect more quickly to your devices, and swapping between devices is two times faster.

Bluetooth 5.0 is supported for improved range, and the new AirPods have a hands-free "Hey Siri" feature so you no longer need to activate Siri by tapping on one of the earbuds (though this option still exists).

The major new feature with the AirPods 2 is of course wireless charging, which, with the Wireless Charging Case allows the AirPods and case to be charged using any Qi-based wireless charging option. When the long-awaited and still missing AirPower is released, the new AirPods Wireless Charging Case will be required to charge AirPods with the accessory.

Article Link: AirPods 2 Now Available for In-Store Pickup

2. Guda.FL macrumors 6502

Ugh, should if just went in to pick them up today. not Ship it. :( tomorrow it is.

3. hmark8 macrumors regular

Wierd. Ordered the moment they became available on the apple store. Had I known I could have got them sooner in store would have done that. Mine are scheduled for tomorrow.

4. adam1080 macrumors regular

adam1080

Annoying... They have them available at my closest apple store, but that is 1 hour away. Not worth the drive for getting them like 12 hours sooner.

5. metalsiren macrumors 6502

metalsiren

lol we are all thinking the same thing.... one day earlier would have been nice but getting them tomorrow. my store would be Crabtree in Raleigh and that place is a PIA to deal with (because of the traffic around there) so I will just wait.

6. falainber macrumors 68000

falainber

Pre-ordering Apple products is quickly becoming a thing of the past. To keep it going Apple will probably need to do something similar to Samsung which offers good stuff (memory cards, wireless earbuds etc.) with phone pre-orders.

7. bizzy045 macrumors 6502

bizzy045

Not available for pickup in the DFW area (TX). This is for the wireless charging version.

8. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors regular

IRockThat828pScreen

Now ship AirPower so people will shut up about it.

9. bpeeps macrumors 68030

bpeeps

I hope the irony is not lost.

10. radus macrumors 6502

The AirPods are great and the AirPods 2 are better - one of Apple's best products ever.
    I just got the AirPods 2.
    They paired without any Problem using the iPhoneX. renamed them using the iPhone X.

Bluetooth-Pairing to the Huawei Mate 20 Pro was also fast (after pressing the button on the AirPods 2 case).
    The AirPods 2 retained their new name on the Mate 20 Pro. I made one Phone Call using the AirPods 2 on the Huawei Mate 20 Pro - as good as before using the old AirPods or the Huawei Freebuds 2 Pro. The AirPods 2 case charged on the Huawei Mate 20 Pro - it is able to "reverse charge wireless".

I hope the battery-time will be better compared to the old AirPods 1 and of course to the Freebuds 2 Pro (they have only 1.5 hour battery time).

11. adam1080 macrumors regular

adam1080

I think Apple has much farther to fall before they will start doing this. Apple customers are still willing to pay a premium for all the things Samsung gives away for free.

Not saying it is impossible, but we are years and billions of dollars away from this ever happening.

12. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502a

I see all 3 options available at all stores within 25 miles from me. I guess there was not a need to pre-order based on what a few here have said about the shipping dates.

13. Sheza macrumors 68000

Sheza

14. NDefer macrumors member

Lol pre ordered them in Canada on day 1 and they wont arrive until next week April 2-5 and now they are available in store today.

15. adam1080 macrumors regular

adam1080

14 day return policy...

16. NDefer macrumors member

already on it, ordered a pair for in store pickup and will return the others when they arrive next week. Not a very good customer experience but life goes on.

17. Mick-Mac macrumors regular

Can somebody please confirm - the article says these are BlueTooth 5 complaint but I recall many people unable to see if that was the case...

18. NDefer macrumors member

They are bluetooth 5.

19. Unregistered 4U macrumors 6502

This wasn’t really a preorder, though. This was “It’s available for sale and will ship in a week”. When Samsung does that, they want to have really impressive day 1 numbers because it looks good. For Apple, they’re going to have impressive day 1 numbers for this because it’s a known quantity, people already know what they are and want them.

20. doboy macrumors 68020

Pretty much gave up on AirPods due to poor battery longevity. My seldom used gen 1 is holding less than 50% charge :(

21. Chief Oddball macrumors regular

Regular wired charging case version isn't available anywhere near DFW, either. I guess we residents need to start purchasing better federal judges. </s>

22. Morrissey macrumors newbie

Morrissey

I just sold my Airpods with almost 2yrs old battery, they still hold like 3 almost 4 hrs battery, pretty much didn't use it a lot.
    Today I'll grab the new wireless version.

23. msama macrumors regular

Not available in Houston, dodged an impulse buy!

24. AZMecha macrumors regular

AZMecha

I just ordered mine All Arizona stores show available........ Woot!!!!:):):apple::apple::apple:

25. zakarhino macrumors demi-god

zakarhino

This is exactly why I didn’t order them on release, the delivery date had already slipped to April. Figured I could pick up a pair early this week in store and that’s exactly what I just did. Broke my gen 1s about 4 days prior to gen 2 release so thta was some good timing.

AirPods are a long conference call savior, couldn’t take calls without them.