Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple still plans to release multiple new AirPods models later this year, according to the latest information shared by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

airpods-3-orange.jpg

In an October 2023 edition of his Power On newsletter, Gurman said Apple planned to release two fourth-generation AirPods models and updated AirPods Max in "late 2024." On Sunday, he confirmed that this plan is "still underway."

Gurman expects the entry-level fourth-generation AirPods to feature a new design with better fit, improved sound quality, and an updated charging case with a USB-C port. He also expects higher-end fourth-generation AirPods with active noise cancellation and a speaker in the charging case that can play a sound for Find My location tracking.

Apple plans to discontinue the second-generation and third-generation AirPods after launching the two fourth-generation models, he said.

The updated AirPods Max will feature a USB-C port instead of Lightning for charging and wired audio playback, but no other major changes, according to Gurman. He said the over-ear headphones might also be available in new colors. The current color options include Green, Pink, Silver, Sky Blue, and Space Gray.

Gurman expects new AirPods Pro to launch in 2025 with design changes and an "updated chip," which may refer to an H3 chip for improved sound quality.

Apple unveiled the third-generation AirPods during its October 2021 event, while the AirPods Max were announced in a December 2020 press release.

Article Link: AirPods 4 and AirPods Max With USB-C Still Expected Later This Year

mrhansolo

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
I don't understand why the Max's would only get a port update. It's the premiere product of the AirPod line and with the Pros being updated with a new chip and base airpods rumored to receive both design and chip updates, it makes no sense why Apple wouldn't do more to upgrade the internals on the Max's. I'm considering some over-the-ear headphones for home use and the Max is at the top of my list due to the integration with all other Apple products. However, if the next generation keeps the same internals (which at that point will be close to 5-years old) then it would be a definite no go for me.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
My AirPod 2 Pros are conking (battery), so I'll soon be experimenting with the $20 clones with great reviews on Amazon. The weakest link appears to be a lack of noise cancellation (though about $20 more than this price brings favorably reviewed versions WITH it).

My own relative expectations are LOW but will it be "good enough" until either AP4 Pro arrives or I realize first hand... first hear(?)... that it takes $1XX+ to get "good enough" quality with iDevices. Lots of reviews of apparent iDevice owners seem quite pleased with these cheapies. I look forward to seeing... that is HEARING... with my own ears soon.

If they sound as good as many reviews say, I may opt to pay up the extra $20 for the "Pro" version with NC. If they have near the battery life they say, that will be better than the AP2s ever had... and if that battery life lasts a year or two, that's $20 vs. towards $200 for a couple of years of "good enough" bud use. All TBD but fingers are crossed. In spite of great experience with AP2s over the last few, I'm not convinced one has to spend towards $200 to get mostly the same. Perhaps my "rude awakening" will arrive in a few days?

Last edited:

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
do they still plan to upsell AirPods Pro by making regular AirPods fall out of your ears?

This one seems to just be a matter of preference as some people refuse to wear "earplugs" in the Pro models.

Don't worry, the Pros fall out of your ears too.

If anything, they should upsell a foam version.

Reactions: jwdsail

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Two different versions of 4th gen? How does that work?

Airpods, Airpods Air, Airpods Pro, Airpods Max?!?!
I think something is being lost in translation between the sources and Bloomberg, but what it sounds like is that they want to discontinue both the second generation and the third generation at the same time.
But the second generation is on sale frequently for as low as $99, so they probably want to keep something around the $99-129 pricepoint.
My guess is that it’ll just be the current third generation, maybe with USB-C and a small bump to the H2?
Then the more expensive AirPods 4 will get the case with the speaker and such.

Reactions: HazeAndHahmahneez

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Hope they do an updated AirPods Max, not just the charge port. I absolutely love them and use them all the time. I don't personally mind the missing support for lossless as I think that's overrated, but it is in the price range that it should support it. What I really want is just an overall upgrade to get up to speed with the likes of Sony, Bose etc. Oh, and no product should release without proper AirTag-functionality these days. My AirPods Max stayed lost for 3 weeks at a hotel because it didn't have proper tracking and they didn't find it.
2024 seems to be the year I will retire my lightning cable. RIP, you were amazing, but I welcome USB-C gladly.

Urban Splash

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Where do the pros go from here? The latest ones I have sound exactly the same as the first gen ones I had. ‘Better sound and better noice cancelling’ isn’t apparent at all. Yes there are new features though.

As for the Max, they will have to change the colours and/or design or how will people know you’re wearing the latest? Surely that’s all it’s about.

macmac30

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2015
Where do the pros go from here? The latest ones I have sound exactly the same as the first gen ones I had. ‘Better sound and better noice cancelling’ isn’t apparent at all. Yes there are new features though.

As for the Max, they will have to change the colours and/or design or how will people know you’re wearing the latest? Surely that’s all it’s about.
I had AP1 and currently use AP2. The AP2 noise cancellation is so good that I stopped bringing my Bose 700 headsets on airplanes. Now if Apple could figure out a way to make these damn AP2‘s connect to my iPhone 15 pro quicker during an incoming phone call as well as connect quicker to my Apple TV, they would be perfect!

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
My wish list for the Maxes remains the same:
- Lower the weight of the darn things - the aluminum design is just way too heavy!
- Make the headband replaceable or just redesign it! It looks like a pair of worn out tights after two years - yuck!
I know it comes off in a matter of snapping your fingers, but there are no available spares.
- Give them some semblance of water resistance! Mine have personally lasted without the need to exchange them, but I know of multiple instances, where condensation was the killer.

If Gurman is right, then none of this will come true, which in all honesty makes this product a dud at this point as the design is outdated and way too clunky.

• Wow
Two different versions of 4th gen? How does that work?

Airpods, Airpods Air, Airpods Pro, Airpods Max?!?!

Souped up 2nd gen’s then souped up 3rd gen’s, souped up pro gen 2s and finally souped up pro max. All I ask 4 pro max is wired option, power off mode, noise cancel, transparent mode, titanium made (toughest but lightest, no?), and an ipx rating would be too cold!

My AirPod 2 Pros are conking (battery), so I'll soon be experimenting with the $20 clones with great reviews on Amazon. The weakest link appears to be a lack of noise cancellation (though about $20 more than this price brings favorably reviewed versions WITH it).

My own relative expectations are LOW but will it be "good enough" until either AP4 Pro arrives or I realize first hand... first hear?... that it takes $1XX+ to get "good enough" quality with iDevices. Lots of reviews of apparent iDevice owners seem quite pleased with these cheapies. I look forward to seeing... that is HEARING... with my own ears soon.

If they sound as good as many reviews say, I may opt to pay up the extra $20 for the "Pro" version with NC. If they have near the battery life they say, that will be better than the AP2s ever had... and if that battery life lasts a year or two, that's $20 vs. towards $200 for a couple of years of "good enough" bud use. All TBD but fingers are crossed. In spite of great experience with AP2s over the last few, I'm not convinced one has to spend towards $200 to get mostly the same. Perhaps my "rude awakening" will arrive in a few days?

PLEASE! Leave a review or message me one!!!
I'm rather disappointed with my Airpods Pro fit, and the Airpods 3 are just awful in my ears. I may give the 4's a try.

Did you try all the tip sizes (pause).

So AirPods have been around almost 10 years now and just last month got my first Eva the pod pro gen 2s on the sale. They fiya. And I remem. Yrs ago when considering getting some (but wound up sticking with my trusty EarPods) I saw amazon and whoever else have wingtips for sale in order to secure the fit, and I was like oh I’d get those as long as I try em and they’re not too whacky lookin, plus they individualize you more.

You should look into those.

Now I don’t need em cuz these pros fit bomb. The wingtips I saw were for traditional AirPods. It’s weird cuz i bought pro gen ones from Apple and returned em I think that night or a day or two after as I hated the fit but these pro gen 2s are purr-fict. Maybe I didn’t try the other tips? I dunno they sucked i hated em.

Yup, gotta change the style to sell new cases and accessories lol

It is what it is at this point I ain’t hatin

It’s better to role with the company that only cares abt your $ than the one that offers free service this free service that in order to make $ off you by being all in your biz?? Lol

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
The new Qualcomm bluetooth chipset allows lossless delivery and its coming to the market now. So in the android side of things they will be getting lossless wireless headphones, at least the premium headphones will have that ability. It would be foolish to not include lossless on the Max, honestly I wouldn't mind a passthrough 3.5 audio port so the headphones work even with no battery like some other higher end brand headphones.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
PLEASE! Leave a review or message me one!!!

Will do but check the many reviews on Amazon and filter for both iOS and iPhone to see only those gushing about how great they are with Apple devices. I can only hope they sound and work as well in my own ears (compared to the last few years with AP Pro 2s. TBD... soon!

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
This one seems to just be a matter of preference as some people refuse to wear "earplugs" in the Pro models.

Don't worry, the Pros fall out of your ears too.

If anything, they should upsell a foam version.

For me/my ears at least, the Pros fit 100% better than any previous Apple earphone.

But, they don't come anywhere close to the flanged earplug fit of something like etymotic.

But, earphone/earplug fit is a very personal preference. I just wish Apple would offer more fitment options across the entire line...

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
I don't understand why the Max's would only get a port update. It's the premiere product of the AirPod line and with the Pros being updated with a new chip and base airpods rumored to receive both design and chip updates, it makes no sense why Apple wouldn't do more to upgrade the internals on the Max's. I'm considering some over-the-ear headphones for home use and the Max is at the top of my list due to the integration with all other Apple products. However, if the next generation keeps the same internals (which at that point will be close to 5-years old) then it would be a definite no go for me.
If integration is the main priority over sound quality, I would recommend the new Beats Pro, they are like Max lite, they aren't bad, you get the integration you want and better battery life. If you want that better sound experience (which again is subjective depending all on an individuals head size, ear size, ear canal size etc) then the Max might be more up your alley.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004

My own relative expectations are LOW but will it be "good enough" until either AP4 Pro arrives or I realize first hand... first hear(?)... that it takes $1XX+ to get "good enough" quality with iDevices. Lots of reviews of apparent iDevice owners seem quite pleased with these cheapies. I look forward to seeing... that is HEARING... with my own ears soon.

Just a headsup; the noise cancelling is not ANC, but ENC. If this is what you are looking for, then cool.

Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.