Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
do they still plan to upsell AirPods Pro by making regular AirPods fall out of your ears?

Go to an Apple Store and they can show you how to insert AirPods into your ears so they don't fall out. You may need to go with a larger tip.

I've never had one fall out.

Reactions: Yujenisis

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Just a headsup; the noise cancelling is not ANC, but ENC. If this is what you are looking for, then cool.

Tom

I'm sure if we dig into the details, we can find a hundred differences to prop one up vs. the other. There's got to be more more than that and brand name for 80%+ discount vs. Apple's version. But just as we can argue about whether ears can hear lossless or not, ears are easily fooled. I've read very passionate arguments for the original AAC encoding format vs MP3, including the original being just as good as CD sound... then spun differently when Apple embraced 256kpbs. The consistent case around here seems to shift with whatever Apple is pushing at any given time: "nobody can hear lossless" until Apple offered lossless too and then it became rationale for buying new accessories because apparently we could suddenly hear lossless quality.

Will this sound about as good as the APpros it will replace? I don't know. I'm pessimistic myself, as $20 seems just too cheap. On the other hand, will it sound "good enough" to potentially ride until APpros 4? TBD starting in a few days when it arrives.

My guess is I'll notice. But I'll proceed with an open mind and gauge how much I notice and then make decisions of stick or pay way, wayyyyyyyyy more. If it's "good enough" I may just wait out the arrival of the next generation.

Last edited:

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
Where do the pros go from here? The latest ones I have sound exactly the same as the first gen ones I had. ‘Better sound and better noice cancelling’ isn’t apparent at all. Yes there are new features though.

As for the Max, they will have to change the colours and/or design or how will people know you’re wearing the latest? Surely that’s all it’s about.

I wish I had this problem and didn't need to upgrade sound quality, but there is a very noticable difference between the two to me. It would save me a lot of money if my rates couldn't differentiate between then!

The Airpods Pro is actually the only Apple product I currently daily drive because no one has been able to match Apple's today package. My Sony and Bose both sound slightly better, but that's offset by the size and comfort.

Only slightly upgrading the Max is a real shame. It's sound is good, not great today. It really needs an updating with newer tech. That or a lower price really seem due.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
Two different versions of 4th gen? How does that work?

Airpods, Airpods Air, Airpods Pro, Airpods Max?!?!
It's probably not so much two different "versions" but far more likely Apple (yet again) offering up one version where the AirPods charging case is either Qi + wired charging and then also another model where the charging case has both Qi + wired charging + MagSafe charging.

AirPods 2nd Gen. come in a Lightning only and a Lightning + Qi wireless charging version.

AirPods 3rd Gen. come in a Qi + Lightning and then a Qi + Lightning + MagSafe version.

It could also be that Apple actually does some real product segmentation for these two 4th Gen. models, and avoids the redundant mini spec changes that only serve to mislead and confuse those who just think they're buying AirPods 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen or AirPods Pro 2nd Gen. and don't realize that Apple has several versions of each of these out with arbitrary differences that you'd never know about unless you're deep in Apple tech news sphere.

Thank God the E.U. at the very least has eliminated the possibility of anymore Lightning port AirPods entering the market post December 28 2024! 😪

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
My 1st gen AirPods Pro just died. Luckily I have AirPods 3rd gen but I’d rather wait to get 2nd gen AirPods Max. No point in spending $450 on a device that’s over three years old, with a lightning port, in my opinion.

I’ve been wanting good over the ear headphones for flights. I may just wait to see what Apple has in store for the AirPods Max.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
Gurman expects the entry-level fourth-generation AirPods to feature a new design with better fit
PLEASE DO!

When I purchased AirPods 3, my ears were screaming in pain within 30 minutes; which was surprising because I’ve been wearing some version of Apple earbuds since 2004. So AirPods 3 was where I got off. I thought I was done.

That Apple may have realized their design mistake is great news indeed! I do hope comfort is restored.

An aside but Apple has this problem with almost all their wearables. Their headphones are heavy and don't compare well to the competition in comfort; and maybe half of Apple Vision Pro buyers are returning them in part because of how unbalanced the weight is—causing pain in the face after some use. I despise it when companies don't make comfort the #1 priority. Who cares how good headphones or VR headsets are if you resent wearing them?

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
do they still plan to upsell AirPods Pro by making regular AirPods fall out of your ears?
Are you blaming Apple because some people have big ear openings or weirdly shaped ears?

The idea that fitting issues were intentional to get consumers to switch to the pro model is laughable, even for Apple, at best.

I never bought regular AirPods because they wouldn't stay in my ears. I did not blame that on an Apple conspiracy. I did however, blame it on my parents for giving me the ear canal shape I have. Want to guess what my mother's response would have been?

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
PLEASE DO!

When I purchased AirPods 3, my ears were screaming in pain within 30 minutes; which was surprising because I’ve been wearing some version of Apple earbuds since 2004. So AirPods 3 was where I got off. I thought I was done.

That Apple may have realized their design mistake is great news indeed! I do hope comfort is restored.

An aside but Apple has this problem with almost all their wearables. Their headphones are heavy and don't compare well to the competition in comfort; and maybe half of Apple Vision Pro buyers are returning them in part because of how unbalanced the weight is—causing pain in the face after some use. I despise it when companies don't make comfort the #1 priority. Who cares how good headphones or VR headsets are if you resent wearing them?
Can you tell me where you got reliable data that concludes there is a 50% return rate on Vision Pro?

Not questioning the part of your comment that discusses pain and Apple's resistance to not making user's physical comfort paramount. I could never use regular AirPods for a similar reason. Until a recent AirPods Pro purchase, I relied on a competitor's product. I shouldn't have had to nor should it have taken Apple as long as it did to offer a remedy.

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Ridiculous line-up coming, yet again Apple...! Ditch the APPs after APP2 and then just have AirPods with and without ANC and have the AirPods Max. Give only the Max lossless and a wired connection option. APP2 and AP3 are quite good enough. Just give them a bump every couple of years (but bring them together as one product with or without ANC).

Reactions: srknpower

Derived

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
If there is truly no change to the Max other than a USB-C port after what will have been almost 4 years, there should be a very public firing of someone. That's beyond unacceptable. I would be a buyer with updated internals, some sort of moisture resistance and yes, the USB-C port as well as lossless support. Better colors wouldn't hurt either. But I'm not paying a premium for 5 year old tech this fall, the very notion is laugh-out-loud insane.

Reactions: Urban Splash

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
Can you tell me where you got reliable data that concludes there is a 50% return rate on Vision Pro?
I'm not stating in any factual terms that there is 50% return rate on Apple Vision Pro purchases. I'm speaking loosely and implying that a huge amount of buyers are discovering its many flaws in function, and how uncomfortable it is, and how limited it is, and how their spouses hate seeing them wear it around the house or apartment—to the tune of getting $3.5K back. I don't know that it's 50% but my guess is it's in the double digits which might be unheard of for an Apple product launch.

The usual Mac pundits who podcast and spend their time on Twitter with other early adopter types have said they are keeping it to talk about it, but that many of their friends and acquaintances bought it "just to see" and aren't impressed. And I believe it.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
As much as I love my AirPods Max, I'll be pretty disappointed if the only change in the 2nd generation is what charge cable it uses.

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
It's probably not so much two different "versions" but far more likely Apple (yet again) offering up one version where the AirPods charging case is either Qi + wired charging and then also another model where the charging case has both Qi + wired charging + MagSafe charging.

AirPods 2nd Gen. come in a Lightning only and a Lightning + Qi wireless charging version.

AirPods 3rd Gen. come in a Qi + Lightning and then a Qi + Lightning + MagSafe version.
This product segmentation has always been ridiculous. For the difference of a mere $10 or £10, the non-MagSafe version should not exist.

The current range should be AirPods 2nd Gen (Lightning, Qi, non-MagSafe) and AirPods 3rd Gen (Lightning, Qi, MagSafe).

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
I'm not stating in any factual terms that there is 50% return rate on Apple Vision Pro purchases. I'm speaking loosely and implying that a huge amount of buyers are discovering its many flaws in function, and how uncomfortable it is, and how limited it is, and how their spouses hate seeing them wear it around the house or apartment—to the tune of getting $3.5K back. I don't know that it's 50% but my guess is it's in the double digits which might be unheard of for an Apple product launch.

The usual Mac pundits who podcast and spend their time on Twitter with other early adopter types have said they are keeping it to talk about it, but that many of their friends and acquaintances bought it "just to see" and aren't impressed. And I believe it.
I understand what you are saying. However 50% is not what I would call loosely. It's kind of crazy to throw that out there. 10-15% I would go along with.

What bothers me most about all the discussion ( not saying it applies to your comment) is that from a majority of the comments, I get an air that expectations were not met and I think expectations were not grounded in reality for those people. Vision Pro may not be successful. I understand that, but the pervasive ripping it to shreds out of the gate when I bet the vast majority of those who have lit into it have not tried it or even seen it outside of pictures or videos astounds me. The pervasive pessimism is tiresome.

The road to innovation and success is a very rough, unpaved road. Instead of all these people condemning it and telling us what is wrong with it when they really have no idea, how about they give it a chance to develop and travel along the road. They want instant gratification. It's not happening. I can't think of a leap forward in tech over the last 30 years where at a snap of the fingers it was smooth sailing and profitable. You've got to have a pair of big ones and deep pockets to successfully innovate. If anyone has those things Apple does.

This could be the greatest device of the last 20 years or a total failure. I am not going to call it a failure until it is one. Big hurdles to overcome. I am going to give Apple a chance to climb over them.

gund1234

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2022
finally USB C, i can transfer songs faster now.
wish they used thunderbolt 4 instead of just USB :)

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
I understand what you are saying. However 50% is not what I would call loosely. It's kind of crazy to throw that out there. 10-15% I would go along with.

What bothers me most about all the discussion ( not saying it applies to your comment) is that from a majority of the comments, I get an air that expectations were not met and I think expectations were not grounded in reality for those people. Vision Pro may not be successful. I understand that, but the pervasive ripping it to shreds out of the gate when I bet the vast majority of those who have lit into it have not tried it or even seen it outside of pictures or videos astounds me. The pervasive pessimism is tiresome.

The road to innovation and success is a very rough, unpaved road. Instead of all these people condemning it and telling us what is wrong with it when they really have no idea, how about they give it a chance to develop and travel along the road. They want instant gratification. It's not happening. I can't think of a leap forward in tech over the last 30 years where at a snap of the fingers it was smooth sailing and profitable. You've got to have a pair of big ones and deep pockets to successfully innovate. If anyone has those things Apple does.

This could be the greatest device of the last 20 years or a total failure. I am not going to call it a failure until it is one. Big hurdles to overcome. I am going to give Apple a chance to climb over them.
I said "maybe half" and yes thats called "talking loosely" because I'm not under oath nor stating this as fact and said "maybe" because it is a possibility that the return rate is approaching half.

Moving on...

I'm not here to call it an objective failure. Apple's goal is very specific, and thats to sell to developers and early adopters, and to get the feedback that only customers and telemetric data can give, to then go back to the product design and make it more acceptable for mass markets. Hopefully by version 3 there will be high demand for it. But unlike other products, this paradigm is newer and more sensory-dependent, so it's more difficult than usual to know if you will or won't like it based on media. People need to buy it to find out, "meh" or "I feel sick wearing this for more than 20 minutes" or "This hurts my face" or "This is neat for movie watching but I don't feel it adds to my work."

...unlike the iPhone where you were much more certain about the product just from watching videos, or trying it from friends, where as this product requires buying it and bringing it home, before realizing you'd rather return it and get near $4K back.

FineWoven

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
I don't understand why the Max's would only get a port update. It's the premiere product of the AirPod line and with the Pros being updated with a new chip and base airpods rumored to receive both design and chip updates, it makes no sense why Apple wouldn't do more to upgrade the internals on the Max's. I'm considering some over-the-ear headphones for home use and the Max is at the top of my list due to the integration with all other Apple products. However, if the next generation keeps the same internals (which at that point will be close to 5-years old) then it would be a definite no go for me.
You may as well just wait then at this point. I’m curious about the next gen Maxes too but even if it is just a minor refresh, I’ve already proven I can wait well over 3 years so then what’s another ~6 months? That’s worth having a standard charging port imo. Also there’s a chance the new ones could drop a bit in price as Apple has been known to do that sort of thing on occasion when launching a new generation of a product.

Pixelryan

macrumors member
May 10, 2010
Washington
Go to an Apple Store and they can show you how to insert AirPods into your ears so they don't fall out. You may need to go with a larger tip.

I've never had one fall out.
That’s nice for you, but everyone’s ears are different. No matter what twisting or position I do, or different size tips, even foam tips from amazon, the AirPods and AirPods Pro just don’t stay in my ears 😭. The antitragus part of my ear is just not that big compared to everyone else’s. The only thing that works is a third party hook accessory, but it’s inconvenient to put them on and off. I am curious about this new fit though.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Most probably June or in September. Will not be surprised to see it launch at WWDC in June.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Glad that they are still going with no tips. I have never found anything comfortable in the ear canal so the AirPod 4 will be perfect for me. They have seldom fell out!😎

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
Where do the pros go from here? The latest ones I have sound exactly the same as the first gen ones I had. ‘Better sound and better noice cancelling’ isn’t apparent at all. Yes there are new features though.
Really! I believe I can tell the difference in sound quality, but I'm positive that the noise cancelling is significantly better. I think it's what really set the APP2 apart from the cheaper copies (even the ANC-enabled ones) mentioned earlier.

Etienooo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
I don't understand why the Max's would only get a port update. It's the premiere product of the AirPod line and with the Pros being updated with a new chip and base airpods rumored to receive both design and chip updates, it makes no sense why Apple wouldn't do more to upgrade the internals on the Max's. I'm considering some over-the-ear headphones for home use and the Max is at the top of my list due to the integration with all other Apple products. However, if the next generation keeps the same internals (which at that point will be close to 5-years old) then it would be a definite no go for me.
As usual when there is a rumor that defies common sense (i.e. flat edges apple watch), the rumor is crap and common sense prevails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.