Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in 2024 will introduce a fourth-generation version of the AirPods with a number of new features to make the earbuds more appealing to consumers, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reiterated today in his weekly Power On newsletter.

AirPods-Fourth-Generation-Feature-Purple-Triad.jpg

There will be two versions of the AirPods 4 that are available at two different price points, with Apple aiming to replace both the AirPods 3 and the lower-priced AirPods 2 that it continues to sell. As of now, there is little difference between the AirPods 2 and AirPods 3 beyond the design, which Gurman says is confusing to customers and costs Apple money when consumers opt for the cheaper model.

AirPods 4 will streamline the available AirPods options. The earbuds will feature an updated design, which Gurman outlined in October. The new AirPods are expected to look like a cross between the current AirPods and the AirPods Pro, with shorter stems. Fit is expected to be improved, but it is as of yet unclear if Apple will add silicone ear tips.

A redesigned case will include speakers for Find My alerts, and a USB-C charging port rather than a Lightning port. The higher-end version of the AirPods will feature Active Noise Cancellation (ANC), which has to date been limited to the AirPods Pro. It will allow customers to get ANC at a more affordable price point.

In a software update coming later next year, Apple will add hearing aid functionality, allowing AirPods to serve as an over-the-counter (OTC) hearing alternative to traditional hearing aids. The FDA in 2022 approved OTC hearing aid options, paving the way for Apple to market the AirPods for hearing loss. Gurman has said that Apple also plans to offer hearing tests that would tell AirPods users if they are experiencing hearing loss.

The AirPods 4 will launch in 2024, perhaps around September when Apple unveils new iPhone models. Apple is also planning for a new version of the AirPods Max in 2024, but the update will be limited to new colors and the addition of a USB-C charging port.

Apple's more expensive AirPods Pro will be refreshed in 2025, with Apple set to introduce an updated design "focused on comfort" and a faster chip.

Article Link: AirPods 4 to Get New Design, Updated Case, and Active Noise Cancellation

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’ve been waiting for this fourth gen regular AirPods, as someone who doesn’t like to feel the rubber tips pressing inside my ear canal, for this reasons:

- I expect them to finally be updated to Bluetooth 5.3 like the current Apple devices, enabling a better connection, a seamless and faster transition from one device to another, and an improvement in battery/range/sound quality.

- I was expecting them to have a motion sensor, to improve the collection of my fitness data, in order to measure my movements in a more accurate way.

I’m going to sell my gen 2 AirPods in order to purchase the fourth gen as soon as they are available. Nice to read about the Noise Cancelling feature, as long as it doesn’t require a rubber tip inside my ear canal! But it is not a feature I would upgrade for, as I already have a noise cancelling Beats Solo Pro.

PS: if Apple adds the silicone tips, and aren’t optional but a requirement for wearing them, I’ll get a pair of AirPods 3. No problem.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I sincerely hope it stays the current earbud design, that's the entire reason I have them (along a set of airpods pro). I really don't see how making them in-ears makes any sense in the lineup with the pros.

For that reason alone I don't believe that these will get ANC it just semi-impossible in a bud design, ANC is all about passive blocking first and then filtering out the remaining noise with ANC.
My thoughts exactly.

Reactions: Baron Thompson

MasterControlProgram

macrumors regular
May 5, 2022
I really hope they aren’t in-ear with tips. I bought the USB-C AirPod Pro 2s and loved them for two weeks until my right ear canal swelled up painfully. It has taken ages for it to go back to normal and if I try the Pros for even a few minutes the swelling starts to return. I’ve had to go back to my AirPod 3s which are fine but they don’t have the sound quality and adaptive noise cancelling of the Pros.

If there really are two models of AirPod 4s and one does have ANC then I suspect at least one of them will be in-ear. Although it seems weird to include one of the Pro’s key features on the basic model. I just hope Apple keeps at least one non-in-ear model. 😢

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I really hope they aren’t in-ear with tips. I bought the USB-C AirPod Pro 2s and loved them for two weeks until my right ear canal swelled up painfully. It has taken ages for it to go back to normal and if I try the Pros for even a few minutes the swelling starts to return. I’ve had to go back to my AirPod 3s which are fine but they don’t have the sound quality and adaptive noise cancelling of the Pros.

If there really are two models of AirPod 4s and one does have ANC then I suspect at least one of them will be in-ear. Although it seems weird to include one of the Pro’s key features on the basic model. I just hope Apple keeps at least one non-in-ear model. 😢
It also sounds weird to me that regular AirPods are gaining ANC, because that’s one of the main selling points of the AirPods Pro, along with Spatial Audio which is already present on the AirPods 3, if I recall correctly.

By the way, can I ask you something as someone who has tried the AirPods Pro? Is it possible, in any way, to take off the silicone tips and use them without them? I’m pretty sure that, with your swelling problems, you at least tried it.

Reactions: srknpower

MasterControlProgram

macrumors regular
May 5, 2022
It also sounds weird to me that regular AirPods are gaining ANC, because that’s one of the main selling points of the AirPods Pro, along with Spatial Audio which is already present on the AirPods 3, if I recall correctly.

By the way, can I ask you something as someone who has tried the AirPods Pro? Is it possible, in any way, to take off the silicone tips and use them without them? I’m pretty sure that, with your swelling problems, you at least tried it.
You can take the tips off, but it leaves a fairly sharp-edged hard plastic protrusion to push into your ear, which isn’t very comfortable, plus the ANC doesn’t work without the seal. I tried some foam tips too, but they weren’t very comfortable either. 😩 So I just went back to the AirPods 3, it’s a real shame as I really loved the Pro 2s.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I’ve been waiting for this fourth gen regular AirPods, as someone who doesn’t like to feel the rubber tips pressing inside my ear canal...
Keeping earphones with rubber tips in my ears for too long (over 3 hours) results in my ear canal getting all sweaty. Yuck.

Plus, whenever I walk around while wearing them (in-ear earphones) results in a thump-thump-thump noise (bone conduction noise?). For that reason, I prefer the AirPods 2 design and fit.

Reactions: Penderworth

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
I’ve been waiting for this fourth gen regular AirPods, as someone who doesn’t like to feel the rubber tips pressing inside my ear canal, for this reasons:
I hated silicone ear tips on every pair of earbuds that I'd tried (most recently a set of deeply discounted Beats Studio Buds) and each time I couldn't tolerate wearing them, even after trying every single available tip size. I just felt pressure inside my ears.

Oddly enough when I bit the bullet and tried AirPods Pros they felt insanely comfortable and now the silicone tips don't bother me at all. The APP tips feel noticeably softer and more flexible so they don't put pressure on my ear canal as much and they feel like they can breathe will still creating a solid seal. Not sure if you've tried the Pros versus other brands but I was pleasantly surprised enough to change my opinion.

Reactions: Populus

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
The Gen 2 are still most comfortable for my ears. Gen 3 hurt just like the pros because of the giant bulbous design. Just give us a gen 2 like fit with new tech…

I don’t think it’s possible to do ANC with that design since your ear holes aren’t blocked.

I agree though that they should continue to sell one modeled like the AirPods 2 because some people simply prefer that.

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
Patiently awaiting new AirPods. I have the original AirPod Pros, and I simply do not like having silicone tips. It's a deal breaker for me. Having ANC on regular AirPods would be great, even if it doesn't work quite as well due to a weaker ear seal.

Reactions: wanha

wanha

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2020
Apple is also planning for a new version of the AirPods Max in 2024, but the update will be limited to new colors and the addition of a USB-C charging port.

It's no wonder that so many MacRumor readers believe every rumor they read since MR seems to believe these rumors themselves like here where they are stating a rumor as fact ("will be limited...")

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
The AirPods 2/EarPods design fits my ears perfectly. Tried AirPods 3 and really wanted to like them, but they just wouldn't stay in my ears (same as the AirPods Pro). Hopefully AirPods 4 aligns more with the AirPods 2 design.

Reactions: DIRSGT

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Patiently awaiting new AirPods. I have the original AirPod Pros, and I simply do not like having silicone tips. It's a deal breaker for me. Having ANC on regular AirPods would be great, even if it doesn't work quite as well due to a weaker ear seal.

Try foam eartips. They helped me go from regretting the purchase to using them daily.

whitby

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Austin, TX
Sadly I can wear neither the AirPods or AirPods Pro. They fall out of my ears. The in ear type e.g Samsung Buds work fine but can be uncomfortable. In the end I have to go with either headphones or the Beats version with their over the ear loops which work fine but are nothing like as convenient and in the Beats case rather poor sounding. So unless they come with a way to make them work for me, this improvement will be of no use to me (and yes I went to the store to see if I was wearing them incorrectly and they agreed they did not work for me).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.