Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clkbrian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
Hong Kong
I own a pair of Airpods, I like it because it sounds reasonably good and is comfortable to wear. Easily paired with my iPhone 5S & MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, there are some dislike and wondering if you have the same issues:
  1. The random drop off during music listening or on the call that really makes this "unfriendly" or "useless" devices. (Could have been not the latest iPhone, I hate phone size bigger than 5S)
  2. One side of the earpiece lost battery quicker than the other side no matter how many times I drained and recharge both at the same time. My left side drains the battery faster.
  3. Taking them out sometime is challenging. The little round piece tends to slip out from your hand before secure on your ears. Dropped couple times with my clumsy fingers and maybe this is the reason for my AirPods doesn't function well.
  4. No volume control is a little troublesome. Instead of asking Siri to turn up or down, I still carry the iPhone in my front pocket to control the volume. (BTW, I am not a heavy phone user, prefer to put it in my backpack and access it when I have to. Maybe this is out of character desire to have volume control function)
  5. The carry case is a little too bucky to put in the pocket and you cannot leave them at home. Recently got a silicon case to hang this on my belt or backpack for easy access.
  6. The charging case is difficult or impossible to clean in some spots. Really wondering if white is the appropriate colour for it.
Any wireless earphone alternative would you recommend?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I own a pair of Airpods, I like it because it sounds reasonably good and is comfortable to wear. Easily paired with my iPhone 5S & MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, there are some dislike and wondering if you have the same issues:
  1. The random drop off during music listening or on the call that really makes this "unfriendly" or "useless" devices. (Could have been not the latest iPhone, I hate phone size bigger than 5S)
  2. One side of the earpiece lost battery quicker than the other side no matter how many times I drained and recharge both at the same time. My left side drains the battery faster.
  3. Taking them out sometime is challenging. The little round piece tends to slip out from your hand before secure on your ears. Dropped couple times with my clumsy fingers and maybe this is the reason for my AirPods doesn't function well.
  4. No volume control is a little troublesome. Instead of asking Siri to turn up or down, I still carry the iPhone in my front pocket to control the volume. (BTW, I am not a heavy phone user, prefer to put it in my backpack and access it when I have to. Maybe this is out of character desire to have volume control function)
  5. The carry case is a little too bucky to put in the pocket and you cannot leave them at home. Recently got a silicon case to hang this on my belt or backpack for easy access.
  6. The charging case is difficult or impossible to clean in some spots. Really wondering if white is the appropriate colour for it.
Any wireless earphone alternative would you recommend?

I really like my AirPods and I don’t have any of the issues that you are experiencing. However, take a look at the beats X. Another good product.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
1) I’m wondering if it’s your phone and not the AirPods. It’s a few generations old, maybe it’s having Bluetooth issues...does it stay paired with other Bluetooth devices?

2) Are you making phone calls frequently? Maybe it’s the case that the mic is draining battery faster? That’s definitely odd.

3) They’re tricky to handle sometimes no doubt. I’ve had mine for a month and have dropped them twice in my car while taking them out of my ear. But I’m getting better at handling them.

4) This is a legit gripe also. No idea why Apple couldn’t add this functionality.

5) I’ve never had an issue with this but hopefully the clip-case will help. I usually forget that they’re in my pocket until I get undressed.

5) buying a cheap toothbrush has worked best for me. I usually clean the case a couple times a week as the toothbrush is at my desk. I’ll occasionally wipe the charging/step ports with alcohol and cotton balls.

Overall, I think AirPods are incredible, and this is coming from a guy who thought they were across-the-board dumb when they first came out. I had never spent more than $40 on earbuds and even after I decided to buy AirPods, I was afraid I’d regret spending that much on them. They’ve been worth every penny to me and then some.

Reactions: clkbrian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.