Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Never heard of any of these sites before. If you're concerned, contact their customer service directly and see what kind of service they offer, return policy, etc. Also, see if they have any customer reviews you can refer to.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
People still haven't received first gen lol

Op if a deal is too good to be true, it usually is lol.

But some of the sites that are smaller, tend to to draw in customers with a popular item for a lower price point. I have seen this before. That's why I suggested, the OP should call the customer service, verify the price and or read reviews about others transactions on those sites. Those sale prices very well could be legitimate.

Dferreira87

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2010
Boston, MA
Trui
Anyone knows why these 2 websites are selling AirPods for $119 and not the $159 price. Any reason you can think of that I should not buy?
Let us know if you end up ordering and receiving a product. I am in the market for a pair and wouldn’t mind paying $120.

One thing I noticed is that both websites have similar layout. Kind of suspicious.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
I googled the address and it is a residence.

The address for AVO is in Harris County TX (Houston area) but the phone number is a Dallas area code. I called it and it's disconnected. Wow I'm glad I checked here first.

coolbreeze2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
Scam

And there is no new AirPods on the horizon

I'm glad you said this because I was wondering if I should hold off on buying AirPods for fear that Apple would release a new series of AirPods as soon as I buy.

Wookiedoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2017
I reluctantly bought a pair from the AVO store. They only accept Paypal so there is some level of protection. It took 15 days for delivery and as far as I can tell they are the real deal.
[doublepost=1507419502][/doublepost]

Billburns

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2017
Usa
I reluctantly bought a pair from the AVO store. They only accept Paypal so there is some level of protection. It took 15 days for delivery and as far as I can tell they are the real deal.
[doublepost=1507419502][/doublepost]

Proof?

Wookiedoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2017
I guess you'll just have to take my word for it. I don't know what kind of proof there is. All I am saying is that I had all the concerns of all the posters here but took a chance. If there were a problem with the order, Paypal would have refunded me, a big hassle, but it turned out good. I was quite relieved when I got to inspect them and listen to them.
I also found out that all the contact info would not work. No working telephone number and no working links from the website for customer service. Only way to get a reply is through the email address supplied through PayPal.
Oh, by the way, The shipping box came from a Best Buy in Kentucky with a Best Buy invoice/packing slip for the amount of $159.00. I thought that was weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billburns

Billburns

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2017
Usa
I guess you'll just have to take my word for it. I don't know what kind of proof there is. All I am saying is that I had all the concerns of all the posters here but took a chance. If there were a problem with the order, Paypal would have refunded me, a big hassle, but it turned out good. I was quite relieved when I got to inspect them and listen to them.
I also found out that all the contact info would not work. No working telephone number and no working links from the website for customer service. Only way to get a reply is through the email address supplied through PayPal.
Oh, by the way, The shipping box came from a Best Buy in Kentucky with a Best Buy invoice/packing slip for the amount of $159.00. I thought that was weird.

What was the name on the order?

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011

Sorry, can't take the word of someone who is new and is vouching for a suspiciously shady website.

Reactions: Peter K.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
I just bought mine from my local Seattle Apple Store tonight. Peace of mind. They always take care of my concerns and have allowed returns and exchanges well beyond the stated policies. Thats worth the retail price to me.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR

Here is my best guess what is going on.

Scammer sets up a fake store. When they get an order, they use a stolen credit card to ship the item to you from a legitimate retailer (Best Buy in this case, that is why you have the Best Buy receipt in the package). Scammer then pockets the original money, and word of mouth helps them get additional orders. At some point the system collapses, they take the money and run and use any credit card/PayPal info they have for their new fraud store, scam rinse and repeats.

Something like this happened to a pilot I was paired with who used a discount bulk disposable diaper internet service. The diapers he ordered and received were actually purchased with someone else’s stolen credit card. As far as he knew, he ordered diapers and they arrived as normal. A couple of months later the police showed up on his doorstep. It turned out the real account holder noticed a fraud charge on his statement, and get the police involved. It was easy to track as the statement had the legit retailer on the statement, and the retailer had this pilot's address as the receiver of the diapers bought with the stolen credit card.

The police said later his card info would probably be used to send diapers or unrelated merchandise to others. (This was a few years ago, I am fuzzy on the exact details of the story.)

First thing I would do is change any thing that you might have inadvertently given to the scammers. (PayPal password may have been intercepted by the web site, or any credit card info given to them for example.) I would also keep any info from the “discount” web site (emailed receipts, contact numbers, web addresses) in case the police knock on the door and think you committed fraud vs being a victim yourself.

Last edited:

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
Best Buy for me, I appreciate the piece of mind. 30 days to return them and had a $15 off voucher. $153 with taxes and had them in 2 days, shipped to my door.
Love the GD. Stagger Lee was a classic. I saw about 50 live shows in the 80’s. Love your Garcia picture. I distinctly remember an excellent Stagger Lee in 89 at Mountain View in the summer. Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.