Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Prior to the new iPhones, I struggled with the AirPods and their unreliable initial connectivity to my phones. I struggled with the iPhone 7 Plus and I struggled with the iPhone X. Once they were connected it wasn't an issue, - it's just that initial connection was SO unreliable, sometimes taking up to a minute to connect, or requiring putting them back in the AirPods case, and then taking them out. Ugh. Even iOS 12 on my iPhone X did not fix things.

Anyway, fast forward to the iPhone XS and XS Max, and for me, my wife, and good friends of mine who ALL had the same issue - the AirPods issues are gone. It's amazing. They connect immediately (especially single AirPods for phone calls), and it feels finally like the AirPods work like they should.

Whether it's the upgraded BT hardware, or maybe RAM reservation from the extra 1GB being put toward BT usage - it's night/day better.

Anyone else with the same experience?

highertechnology

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2009
I’m having the same experience.

My X would often only connect after multiple flips and button pushes or full connection reset.

The XS Max and AirPod experience has been similar to the ads and commercials. Lol

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Just to give you feedback I’ve never had issues connecting. My X connects to my AirPods between 6-10 seconds consistently.. I’ve tested having Bluetooth enabled and completely shutting off Bluetooth in settings and then turning back on..

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Just to give you feedback I’ve never had issues connecting. My X connects to my AirPods between 6-10 seconds consistently.. I’ve tested having Bluetooth enabled and completely shutting off Bluetooth in settings and then turning back on..

6-10 seconds is still unacceptable. Also, it’s often longer (on older iOS devices) if you’re just using a single AirPod.

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
I’ve been using AirPods since right before the Xmas they were slated for delivery for (I was lucky enough to get one of the first batches from ordering before they ran out).

I use them on a 6s. Very rarely do I have issues with them, but when I do it’s solved by simply putting them in the case for 5 seconds and putting them back in my ears.

Glad to hear the experience will be even more seamless when I eventually upgrade to an Xs....though maybe AirPods 2 will be out by then.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I’ve been using AirPods since right before the Xmas they were slated for delivery for (I was lucky enough to get one of the first batches from ordering before they ran out).

I use them on a 6s. Very rarely do I have issues with them, but when I do it’s solved by simply putting them in the case for 5 seconds and putting them back in my ears.

Glad to hear the experience will be even more seamless when I eventually upgrade to an Xs....though maybe AirPods 2 will be out by then.

Usually putting in both would be fine. Much bigger issues putting in just one. But yep, the XS resolves this.

Reactions: NT1440

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Well considering that’s the same time it takes for my AirPods to connect to my iMac or my iPad I’d say it’s completely normal. You stated yours take one minute, that is completely unacceptable and far from the connection speed I’m getting..

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Well considering that’s the same time it takes for my AirPods to connect to my iMac or my iPad I’d say it’s completely normal. You stated yours take one minute, that is completely unacceptable and far from the connection speed I’m getting..

6-10 seconds is not normal for the new phones. With the XS it’s usually within 2 seconds. With the X and 7 Plus it was (as you say) within 6-10 seconds sometimes, and other times it could indeed take up to a minute (worst-case scenario) or not even connect at all without putting an AirPod back in the case and removing it.

All I’m saying is that Apple has tweaked something and the XS line has the best AirPod performance by FAR.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
6-10 seconds is not normal for the new phones. With the XS it’s usually within 2 seconds. With the X and 7 Plus it was (as you say) within 6-10 seconds sometimes, and other times it could indeed take up to a minute (worst-case scenario) or not even connect at all without putting an AirPod back in the case and removing it.

All I’m saying is that Apple has tweaked something and the XS line has the best AirPod performance by FAR.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-bluetooth-connection-on-your-xs-max.2142801/

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Yep. There’s also one person who has any apps with location services crash his phone to the springboard on his new XS Max. I’m not sure what your point is?

MY point is for the best AirPods performance, the XS line is where it’s at. It’s unreal the improvement.

And for the record, I have no BT issues. I use BT in my car, and I watched an entire movie using my Bose QC35 in bed last night without issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.